• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 martin_mortensen

martin_mortensen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

I'd like to use a relitive path to media files so that when I copy the directory tree, or zip it up and unzip it somewhere else the database still points to the media files.  RM seems to only use full paths which would break when I do this.  How do people handle this sort of thing?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6334 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

I have worked around or on this a number of ways:

1. Initially, before Fix broken links tool was enhanced, I used RM's Search > Search and Replace > Field to search: Multimedia filenames, searching for the unique root path in the database and replacing it with the new root path, having backed up first, of course, if I got it wrong.
  2. The Fix broken links tool is now pretty good as you can tell it what folder to look in for the media files but, watch out, if you have files with the same name in different folders and they are actually different files, things will get screwed up. Make sure that all you media files are named uniquely.
  3. I have used SQLite to work on the database directly, see, e.g., http://sqlitetoolsfo...ntent?tag=media

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.