9 replies to this topic

#1 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

When my database was previously converted (I think from RM v.3 to RM v.4 and maybe from RM v.5 to RM v.6) there were problems with the conversion process.

PROBLEM #1

A lot of the info in the Source Details got moved to Detail text: Research Notes. In fact, I am STILL, years later, moving info from Research Notes to Source Details. It seems as if the note in Source Details was "too long" (although I don't recall ever seeing a specified limitation), then the info was automatically moved during the conversion process. How long was "too long"? I can't say for sure. Notes like "volume 1, page 463" stayed in the Source Details, but longer notes like "volume 1, page 463; John Brace Doe m. Susie Wilma Johnson" got moved to the Source Details.

PROBLEM #2

The database tables were apparently redesigned along the way, and the way we apply tags and captions to linked media also changed. We used to have a separate caption and description for every re-link of the media to a new fact or individual. Then a change was made to make all links of the same media re-use the same caption and description. HOWEVER, the software discarded thousands of my separate captions, probably because there was no way to identify which was the appropriate caption and description to keep. Again, I'm am STILL, years later, working on correcting this problem.

MY WISH

When I convert my RM v.6 database to RM v.7, I hope these problem will not re-occur.  Oh, yes, I'm eagerly looking forward to the next version, whenever the Roots Magician is ready to release it!!!.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

2.  In RM 3, each media file was linked separately so there could be seperate captions for each file.  With the Media Gallery, media files are only linked once so there is only one caption and description..  And now we tag that media file where we want to link it and see every place the media is tagged without doing a Multiple media report.  And that report is sorted by the person's name.

Personally, the benefits greatly outweigh the drawback of not having multiple captions for me.

It is too early for me to start fretting about changes in RM 7.  Some changes I will like at once and some changes may take me awhile to appreciate.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

Not being a programmer, I don't know how or why some issues like the media caption issue have developed. I'm simply posting a wish that I don't lose another HUGE batch of data upon database conversion....

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

I really don't understand your #1: Source Details Text was simply relabelled Research Notes, between RM5 and RM6, iirc, but there was no underlying change to the database nor rearrangement of data. I'm unfamiliar with RM3, having leapfrogged from Family Origins 9 to RM4. If what you mean is that your Source Text was moved into Research Notes, then I am completely mystified-there would have been an uproar from thousands of users.

I do understand your #2 and share your frustration as I, too, had unique captions in many cases for each use of the same media file. What I wish for is a return to that capability - the underlying database structure still supports it - and for a default caption, stored in the metadata of the image file, to be used in the absence of a tag caption. The change to a master caption occurred with RM5. I had to come up with a workaround to preserve my captions, as described at http://sqlitetoolsfo...from RM4 to RM5

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

Tom said: "...Source Details was simply renamed..."

Not really, Tom. When citing a Source, the Edit Source screen includes a box titled Source Details which contains the prompt "Page number or other details." The Research Notes are reached by selecting the Detail Text tab.

When printing a Narrative Report, the Endnotes include the information in Source Details, but DO NOT INCLUDE the info in Research Notes. That's a very significant difference. Since not all of my Source citations seem to have been affected by the conversion change, it's possible that my database had a corruption of some sort. Since the improvement of the File | Database Tools in RM6, I'm in the habit of running the full set of tools every few dozen entries or merges of individuals. That may be more often than an experienced programmer would advise, but I feel more secure in the stability of my database than I previously did.

As for the image captions, I applaud your skills with SQLite, but I've never done more than simple programming (Lotus 1-2-3 macros, AutoCAD scripts, macros in older versions of MS Word - that is pre-VBasic, and some Basic and QBasic programming). As you can see by my photo, I'm now in the "experienced" class of people, and not as willing to master whole new sets of complex skills. I believe I could, I just don't want to....

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

Perhaps you changed your Sources settings for reports and forgot to change them back.

To print Source details Research notes and Source details comments in a report, open the report screen.  Click on the Sources button on the right side of the report screen.

Mark Endnotes printed at the end of.the document.

Under Options, mark Print research note with each citation.  Mark Print detail comments if desired.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

Your misquote might indicate a misunderstanding of the terminology and how Endnotes work: "...Source Details Text was simply renamed relabelled Research Notes..." is the corrected quote. In the Narrative Report Settings dialog, click on the Sources button and check the box beside "Print research notes with each citation".

Edit: and thank you, Laura, for a more comprehensive reply.

I should add that RootsMagic is guilty of muddying the waters of terminology. In FO9, we entered the page number or other details specific to that citation of a source under "Citation Details". Then it became "Source Details" and "Text" and "Comments" field were added along the way (these already existed for the "Source") and were known as "Details Text" and "Details Comments". The Edit Source dialog window was revised to a tab format so under the Citation tab you see Master Source and Source Details but to get to what were the Details Text and Details Comments you now tab to Detail Text under which are Research Notes and Comments, the former Details Text and Details Comments. Mere relabelling and user interface redesign with no change in the way outputs are generated.

Edited by TomH, 15 June 2014 - 09:50 AM.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

Tom, you're correct that I could use the report options that way, but I don't WANT to print the entire set of Research Notes, just the abbreviated notation in Source Details (the intent here is to provide enough info for me or another researcher to retrace my research). Those notes that I want to print in the Narrative Reports get placed in the Fact Note box (typically written by me to describe discrepancies in information from multiple sources, or to write a longer note than should be placed in the Fact Value/Description field - approx. 100 characters, as I recall). That places the notes in the BODY of the report, not in the Endnotes (which is where they'd go if I printed the Research Notes (usually a transcription or copy/paste of the source material). And, by not printing the Research Notes, I avoid the issue of infringing on copyrights, while maintaining a complete record of my research. With regard to the extended conversations about Lumpers vs. Splitters, my habits are certainly closer to Lumper (my main database has 400K individuals, 11.4K sources, and 1.96M citations), and that makes the inclusion of the Source Details important to my Endnotes. I gather that in the extreme splitting schemes, the Master Source would include the info that I place into the Source Details (and so the numbers of sources and citations would be nearly equal [if I understand correctly?]).

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

When my database was previously converted (I think from RM v.3 to RM v.4 and maybe from RM v.5 to RM v.6) there were problems with the conversion process.

PROBLEM #1
A lot of the info in the Source Details got moved to Detail text: Research Notes. In fact, I am STILL, years later, moving info from Research Notes to Source Details. It seems as if the note in Source Details was "too long" (although I don't recall ever seeing a specified limitation), then the info was automatically moved during the conversion process. How long was "too long"? I can't say for sure. Notes like "volume 1, page 463" stayed in the Source Details, but longer notes like "volume 1, page 463; John Brace Doe m. Susie Wilma Johnson" got moved to the Source Details. Do you mean "to the Detail text: Research Notes"?

Returning to your statement of the problem, RM1-3 and Family Origins before it had field length limits that were less than those of RM4+. Given that there should have been no need to shorten values on upgrading and together with the lack of other complaints that correspond to your recollection, it seems doubtful that a Source Details field value would have been split with part going to Detail Text/Research Note.

Other softwares have more rigid limitations and will truncate values on import from a RM GEDCOM if their limits are exceeded. Within RM, for many fields, length is only governed by the level of discomfort you have working with the dimensions of the entry field. 

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

I gather that in the extreme splitting schemes, the Master Source would include the info that I place into the Source Details (and so the numbers of sources and citations would be nearly equal [if I understand correctly?]).

Not necessarily nearly equal but, certainly, the number of Master Sources would increase with splitting. If every citation was unique, then, yes, the number of sources would match the number of citations under ultimate splitting.