9 replies to this topic

#1 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

For all of the lines and branches in my tree I want to go back and identify the oldest person along that branch. From that I could generate selected descendancy reports, or simply provide a count of the number of straightline descendants. It sounds not too bothersome if you have a few thousand people and 30 or 40 surnames, but I have 52,000 people and the surname statistics report lists 2 pages of names with >100 people, so I was hoping there's an automatic solution.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6079 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

By "oldest person in a branch", I presume you mean the person at the end of the branch, not the one who lived the longest. I don't know of a RootsMagic report or procedure that will identify all the people at the ends of every branch of every tree in your database. If such a process exists in some other program and if it supports GEDCOM, then that's a solution. I imagine that one could develop a SQLite query that could do so.

That said, I cannot imagine why this would be useful to anybody...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:20 AM

TomH - yes, by oldest I meant farthest back in time head of the family of a particular surname.

I'm not aware of it existing in any other program, but then I haven't used a great variety

No problem with SQLite - can you point me to a DB map of the RM6 database so I know the tables / columns / formats used?

It would be useful to me, but you seem to think I'm alone in that. Imagine you start collaborating with another researcher. You know you have a number of interlinked families in common but you cant easily determine the depth or breadth of each others' database and the overlap/underlap. Say there are 10 surnames in common and all you want is a head count of each - surname statistics would give you that but would also pick up others of that name who aren't actually in that family and misses the female branches where the surname changed. Given a possibly common individual I can wander my way back for 3,4,5,6 generations until I think I've reached the "earliest" (if I didn't get caught in some side branch that's not fully connected) and then generate a simple descendancy list. We can then compare with each other to figure out where we want to work together and exchange info. Not a theoretical case ... happened today, couldn't find a way to easily answer the question with an RM6 report. I wasn't really looking for someone to tell me I didn't need to do it.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:01 AM

Create a Group.

Highlight yourself on the Group list.

Mark Group, Ancestors, Ancestors only..  Select more generations than you need.

Unmark, Select people by data fields.
Surname, not equal to, [surname]

Then, go to the People view and filter it by the Group.

Click on the label for the Birth date column to sort by birth date.

If there are ancestors without birth dates, highlight the person wirh the oldest date and change to the Pedigree view to make sure they are the beginning of the line ancestor.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6079 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

I'm guessing that Laura's suggestion is not what you are wishing for as it is probably still too tedious even for one tree, let alone every tree in your db.Maybe I misunderstood your question - I get why you might want to do this for the ancestors of a selected person but I thought you wanted the end persons of every tree which would be a very large number of people in your db. And then to run descendancy reports from each one???

Glad to hear you are comfortable with SQLite. Click on the link in my signature to review unofficial documentation of the db design.Please join the wiki and contribute your solutions!

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6079 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

Within RM, you can find the tips of all ancestral branches of all trees, create a named group therefrom and filter certain reports thereon. Use the search criteria:

Number of children is greater than 1

AND

Number of sets of parents equals 0.

I don't know how useful that may be.

In SQLite, the equivalent query could be a variant of http://sqlitetoolsfo...nnected Persons . The resulting list could then be an input to another query to generate a descendant list for each branch tip. The combined results would have many times more than the 52000 records in your db.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

Tom,. you are right.  I made it too hard as I was not thinking about Unmarking sets of parents just birth dates.

Create a Group.

Highlight and mark the person of interest on the Group list.

Mark group, Ancestors, Ancestors only.  Choose generations.

For one particular surname:

Unmark, Surname not equal to, [Surname]

OR, Number of sets of parents, greater than 0

For all the beginning line of ancestors;

Unmark group:

Number of sets of parents, greater than, 0

For a printed report, create a Custom report and filter by the Group.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8202 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

End of line Group

Create a Group

Highlight starting person

Click Mark Group

Select all ancestors of  a person - direct ancestors only

Click Unmark Group

Clear people by data fields

Select "Number of sets of parents", "greater than" and enter 0

Click OK, OK, OK

Enter name of group

You can select this group when printing out reports.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

i have 2 user defined facts, My B of L ancestor and My ancestors, with the description fields enabled.

I added the My B of L fact to each of my beginning of the line ancestors and the My ancestor fact to each of my ancestors.  In the description field, I enter Surname or Maiden Surname, married Suname for females.

I created these same facts for another researcher using Jane's name instead of My.  I also created a third fact for Jane, Jane's common ancestor, and added that fact to our common ancestors.

I created a Group of both our ancestors for the lines we both have in common and used the Group to filter the People view.   And added Jane's facts as columns to the People view.  This gives me a good picture of where Jane and I are connected and where our lines separate.

Having the user defined facts allows using them for all sort of search criteria, i. e. My ancestors and Jane's ancestors who lived or died in a certain place, etc.  The surnames in the description can also be used as search filters.

#10 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Thanks to several of you for ways to do it by hand or ways to add facts to allow better grouping/filtering. Those are all more manual than I was seeking, and besides I'm a geek so I'm going to spend a little time with the SQLite tools and see where that can take me. I was a fan of Family Origins for Windows because I was able to open the databases it created and muck around with them. I did not switch to RM until V4 when the SQLite engine was introduced. But, over the years, RM has added a lot of the things I used to have to do for myself in Access and until this desire for a report, I havent needed to get into the internal database structure. If I can make enough headway with SQLite it will be useful AND fun! If not, I may return to some of these manual procedures. Thanks to all for the help.