#1 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

Bruce's May 29, 2014, email persuaded me to buy GenSmarts at limited-time discounted price of $19.95.

I saw in the setup tutorial of GenSmarts that it's possible to change the default browser in the GenSmarts program. In the GenSmarts Version 2.1.2.13 program, under Tools > Settings > Internet, the Internet Browser section is set at "Use Windows Default Browser." I'm pretty sure Firefox is my default browser.

However, when I use RootsMagic6 and click Tools > GenSmarts Suggestions, then click on any of the "Look online" suggestions, Internet Explorer opens!

I prefer never to use Internet Explorer and wish my default browser (Firefox) would open, or even Chrome. Where are the settings in RM6 to select the browser I want to use with GenSmarts?

Thanks

~ Debbie

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Another related question / problem.

I just clicked "Look online" from the Research Suggestions screen in RM6. GenSmarts panel1 opened (navigating internet connection) and stopped at 90%.

A bunch of "Confirm" windows opened up (one by one) BEHIND the GenSmarts panel: "To navigate this search for you, GenSmarts needs to inform IE that this is a safe website. Do you trust this website kshs.org?" and etc. For each confirm window that opened (could have been about 20), I had to pull the confirm window from behind the GenSmarts panel in order to confirm it. After clicking each window to confirm, it finally finished the job.

At the same time, RootsMagic6 has an error message: Error calling GSExecCmd 3

Then IE needed to be configured (by installing something) by GenSmarts so it can fill in text.

One of the "Look online" suggestions was trying to reach worldvitalrecords.com, but it was so kind as to open Firefox this time, to let me know that I don't have a subscription to that.

So far, GenSearch is suggesting mostly census records, ancestry.com pages, and stuff that's not available online. Not impressed so far :(

~ Debbie

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

We are not sure why you received all those pop-ups and why it didn't use your default browser.  We suggest that you contact GenSmarts support at support@gensmarts.com for assistance.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

OK, I'll ask them. So there are nowhere to change browser settings in RootsMagic, I take it.

~ Debbie

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

Correct. This is controlled by GenSmarts. I did find this in the GenSmarts program help section under Browser.

AVAILABLE ONLINE's SMARTSEARCH and SMARTLINK work directly with Internet Explorer, regardless of your default browser settings. BROWSE will use the default browser. If for some reason you'd like to use another browser, which isn't your default, see the Internet Settings tab of GenSmarts TOOLS...SETTINGS... 

Even though this is out of my support realm I did play with the full desktop program and I found that only "Browse..." when you click on the arrow for Available Online will launch my default browser (Chrome). I tested if this changed anything in RootsMagic and didn't see any difference.  I can only gather that we have either a SMARTSEACH or SMARTLINK inside of RootsMagic and that is why it is launching IE and not the default browser.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

Thanks! I see what you mean about the Browse option. Browse does bring up Firefox, whereas clicking "Available Online" or drop-down arrow to "SmartLink..." or to "SmartSearch..." uses Internet Explorer.

Guess I'll need to enjoy using IE when using RootsMagic with GenSmarts.

~ Debbie

#7 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:30 AM

I also bought GenSmarts yesterday, and have the same problem with the internet browser. I never use IE, only Firefox. Also, FreeBMD has changed their IP address and only the old page comes up with a note to go to the new site.

#8 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:16 AM

I heard back from GenSmarts yesterday. They said to try this for the IE problem:

In the GenSmarts program, go to Tools > Settings > Integration tab.

Where it says "Default Search Site Linking" - change that to "Use Preferred Browser"

That seems to work - now Firefox opens. But names don't auto fill as they would using the SMARTSEACH or SMARTLINK feature that IE uses. Oh well.

In GenSmarts, Tools > Settings > Subscriptions tab - you can enter URLs. Haven't figured that out yet, so I don't know if you can fix the URL for FreeBMD there. I don't see it listed.

~ Debbie

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

I also bought GenSmarts yesterday, and have the same problem with the internet browser. I never use IE, only Firefox. Also, FreeBMD has changed their IP address and only the old page comes up with a note to go to the new site.

Please contact support@gensmarts.com and report this issue. They are the only ones able to fix that in an update.

Renee
RootsMagic