4 replies to this topic

#1 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

Citation Manager is slow to update. For a particular event on a person I cite an existing source, and save it. the screen reverts to the Citation Manager and the text in the bottom 1/3 of the dialog is updated with the new citation, but the list of citations does not contain the newly created citation and the dialog is non-responsive. About 60 seconds later, it updates. If I then click on Note to add some text to that citation, it promptly provides the text editor dialog, lets me enter text and save it, but then the Edit Person dialog is frozen and does not update for about 15 seconds.

This is new behaviour. No other part of the program appears to be having a similar issue. I am following the same steps as I have for years and there has never been a problem. It was OK a few days ago but not today. I used the DB tools to clean, compress and reindex everything, closed the application and restarted it, but that had no effect. With these long delays it is effectively unusable.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:03 PM

Tell us the statistics from File > Database properties.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

Have you Defragmented the hard drive recently? Is there plenty of free space on the data drive?

#4 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Citation Manager is slow to update. For a particular event on a person I cite an existing source, and save it. the screen reverts to the Citation Manager and the text in the bottom 1/3 of the dialog is updated with the new citation, but the list of citations does not contain the newly created citation and the dialog is non-responsive. About 60 seconds later, it updates. If I then click on Note to add some text to that citation, it promptly provides the text editor dialog, lets me enter text and save it, but then the Edit Person dialog is frozen and does not update for about 15 seconds.

This is new behaviour. No other part of the program appears to be having a similar issue. I am following the same steps as I have for years and there has never been a problem. It was OK a few days ago but not today. I used the DB tools to clean, compress and reindex everything, closed the application and restarted it, but that had no effect. With these long delays it is effectively unusable.

Sorry to be tardy:

#1 - Database is 53,000 names, 18,000 families, 136000 citations, 87000 events. Don't think that's TOO large.

#2 - Running on Windows 8 which regularly defrags itself in the background.

Resolved after a system reboot. Suspect something else in the Windows environment got bunged up (never happens!!!) and RM6 was collateral damage.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

It is easy to forget the basics - Windows has always needed a reboot periodically. The harder you use it, the more frequently it seems you should. After doubling its RAM to 8GB, I find my Win 7 notebook is able to cope with more processes for far longer than it did before. The Windows Resource Monitor is very helpful in identifying what processes may be hogging CPU, disk or network bandwidth that could be affecting your RootsMagic operations.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.