• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lizkwms

lizkwms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

Whenever I try to do anything that involves the internet I get an error message External exception 8000FFFF; then roots magic closes. I have checked my roots magic version and it is up to date. I have checked my browser and it is up to date. I know my internet works because I have it running in another window. Anyone know what is going on?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1522 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

You don't say which version of Windows you're running, so it's hard to be certain what to recommend.

-

I just did a websearch for "External exception 8000FFFF" and found a Microsoft page suggesting that you have corrupted Windows System files. It sounds like you need to do a Windows system repair. Hopefully you have your original Windows DVD available.
-
BACK UP ANY AND ALL DATA RIGHT AWAY - to a separate hard drive, not just to another partition on the same physical drive.

-

After backup, I would suggest running the Windows | Accessories | System Tools - try Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter

-

Go to Windows Explorer, right-click on the disk C: ID and select Properties | Tools and then select the Error-Checking button.