8 replies to this topic

#1 D. Spencer Hines

D. Spencer Hines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

Here's a feature I'll bet many RM6 users may be unaware of.

Kinship Lists:

Reports>Print A Report>Kinship List

Whoever designed that one should get a Gold Star and a Big, Fat Bonus.

Kinship List for everyone in the database related to the chosen person.

Very neat little feature.

Bravo Zulu.

D. Spencer Hines

#2 GeoffB

GeoffB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

I agree that the Kinship Report is a nice feature.

Not sure if I'm in a minority of one but I'd also find it very useful to have a 'Kinship Field' that could be added and displayed in the Edit Person screen which would calculate the relationship (or indicate if there is no direct relationship) of that person to either i) the Root Person or ii) an alternative Start Person selected by the user.

There should also be the ability to select whether that Kinship field will print in appropriate Reports.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

If you go to Tools>Set Relationships, select a person for the calculations to be based on and click Set Relationship, it will add in the lower left corner of the program (status line) the blood relationship to that person.

There should also be the ability to select whether that Kinship field will print in appropriate Reports.

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

What i have done is used the Reference No. fact to add my relationship to people in my database. Then under Tools>File Options>General - Number to display after name - I select Reference Number (REFN), now it will print after a person name in reports.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 D. Spencer Hines

D. Spencer Hines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:45 PM

There is another very neat, clean and impressive feature about the Kinship List function in RM6.  It generates the list VERY fast.

I fed it a file of 24,151 names.  Somewhat less than 15,000 of those names are related to me.

I then asked RM6 to generate a Kinship List, which it did, of about 14,800 names -- 331 pages worth -- in 11 seconds.  Yes, that's right ELEVEN seconds.

This is the sort of quality we have learned to expect and respect from RootsMagic.

D. Spencer Hines

#5 D. Spencer Hines

D. Spencer Hines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

There are, however, some puzzling vagaries, caprices and roundabouts in the Kinship List function of RM6.

Here's just one example of what I'm talking about:

RM6's Kinship List function tells me that Alfonso XIII [1886-1941], King of Spain, was the "Spouse of [my] seventeenth cousin."

But, in actuality, as RM6 ITSELF tells me on the Main Screen, Alfonso XIII was my "Seventeenth cousin" in his own right -- without having to poach off his wife's relationships to Genealogical Aficionados.

What's going on here?  Does the Left Hand of RM6 not know what the Right Hand is up to -- and is this a bug or a feature?

D. Spencer Hines

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

I believe the Kinship List is the only relationship calculator we have that will figure out in-law relationships. That is why it is reporting differently. It is finding the in-law relationship first before it can calculate a true blood relationships. It just all depends on what people it reads first in the calculations.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 D. Spencer Hines

D. Spencer Hines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Thank you kindly.

Aloha,

D. Spencer Hines

#8 Mardon

Mardon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

I think that it would be nice if the Kinship List and an option for including or excluding in-laws that are not blood relatives.  I need a report for blood relatives only and don't see any way to get that list other than editing the PDF output file from the Kinship List.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

You could create a group of all your ancestors or descendants of an ancestor and use that group when printing one of the reports. That will give you a list, but the relationship will not be noted.

Renee
RootsMagic