• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zetec1951

zetec1951

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

I have Roots Magic/Drop Box installed on my TAB 10.1 and it won't open. Go to file, app is there, but no file. Drop Box says its there !!!

Why won't RM work on TAB 10.1 ???

Thanx

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1522 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

I haven't started using the RM android app, yet, but figure I will soon....

Make sure that the file you placed in your Drop Box folder is a *.rmgc and NOT a *.rmgb (a copy of your working database, NOT the a backup)

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

In RootsMagic 6.3.1.0 you can use File>Save to Dropbox for Apps to get the correct file format (RMGC) in the right Dropbox folder for your device.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:16 AM

I have Roots Magic/Drop Box installed on my TAB 10.1 and it won't open. Go to file, app is there, but no file. Drop Box says its there !!!
Why won't RM work on TAB 10.1 ???
Thanx

I have had similar ptoblems with my Galaxy 10 tablet. Having made sure the file uploaded is the .rmgc, look in Dropbox to make sure the file is inside the App folder, not under. When I click files and select the right one on my tablet do it in portrait view, not landscape. Then I can usually see it open. It's OK to go into landscape once it is open.
I hope that helps!

#5 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

On my Asus Memo Pad, HD7, running Android 4.2.2, the RM/Dropbox  installation appears to be correct, with the 10,000 name .rmgc file correctly placed in the RM/Apps folder via File/Save to Dropbox and with the tablet in vertical orientation, yet I sit and wait for minutes and RM doesn't react. In fact I see no menu options in the Dropbox/menu interface at all, just the plain background. When I click on the rmgc file, I'm prompted to "download an app that can run this file".

File association seems to be up the spout. Tried for ages. Any clues please?

Don

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

In the desktop version of RootsMagic go to Tools>File Options>General and make sure you have selected someone as your "Root Person".  Click on that button if you don't have someone selected there. Then under "Start person when opening this database" select "Root Person above".  Once you have done that then upload that file to the Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic folder.

Make sure you only try to open the RMGC file from within the App. If you click on the RMGC file inside your Dropbox folder on the app then it won't know what to do with it. Inside the App you will find the Dropbox folder and then open it from there.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

I am indicated as the Root Person in RM6. But, am I correct, access to the required Dropbox file is VIA the RM app; it's where you have to be in order to run your uploaded RMGC. But it's there where I get no activity whatsoever from the File menu. Nothing is listed or offered.

Don

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

It's so hard to tell what is happening. I think at this point I would suggest that you uninstall the app. Restart your device. Then reinstall. Maybe that will get it to recognize the Dropbox folder.

We also have videos (made for the iOS version) but the Dropbox part will still be helpful.

http://www.rootsmagic.com/App/Videos/ 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

Uninstall/reinstall worked, Renee. My Dropbox file seen immediately. Yipee! Many thanks. File association established, then took half a minute for initial file load, thereafter about 7 seconds for the 10,000 name file. Pretty good for a tablet. Now to see what it can do!

Don

#10 URABUS

URABUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:51 AM

I have RM /Drop Box installed on my GalaxyTAB 10.1 and have followed all suggestions shown on this forum without success. When I attempt to open the RM app in the tablet's Dropbox it states "please download an app that can open this file"

The Dropbox file on my PC can access the RM file( format RMGC.)

I have RM version 6 and is updated.

I am about to give up after several days of frustration. I am a reasonably intelligent individual although I do have limited technical expertise when it comes to IT.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,

Les

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:45 AM

You need to access Dropbox from within the RootsMagic app you installed to your device.

Open the RootsMagic app..  Choose File and then choose Dropbox.  Follow any directions it gives you to access the database on Dropbox.  You may need to sign in to Dropbox.  When the database list comes up, choose the database and wait for the database to be downloaded to your device.  This may take a while depending on the size of the database, speed of the WiFi connection and speed of the device.

The database must be in Apps/RootsMagic folder on Dropbox.

Read the article on this web page.

http://support.roots...-using-Dropbox-

Or, open the RootsMagic app on your device.  Choose File and Help and see directions on downloading databases from Dropbox.

#12 URABUS

URABUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:05 AM

I have documented my difficulties in my post of 31 May.

I have spent many many hours trying all suggestions received ( I do appreciate all attempts to solve the issue) without success. I am very annoyed and disappointed that I cannot make the RM App work properly. For my sanity's sake I have accepted that it is better not to bother. This is very unlike me to give up but it has been too long and intense.

Thank you.

Les