36 replies to this topic

#21 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

The same page has a broken link to a utility which claimed to extract all witness sentences from the TMG database and add them as notes to the GEDCOM exported from that database.

This transitioner from TMG to Gramps found the utility on the Wayback Machine but found that it did not work with his TMG database.

http://gramps.179108...72p4665987.html

Further down in that thread is some discussion of WhollyGenes' GenBridge software development kit which is supposed to be superior to GEDCOM for interchange among disparate genealogy softwares. It is incorporated not only in TMG but also in Family Tree Maker and Family Tree Builder so maybe there is a potential conversion path through one of them.

And there is apparently a tmg2gramps program to import directly from TMG into the open-source Gramps database but it was written for TMG Ver 6.

Of course, you could always hope and wait for the RootsMagician to incorporate direct TMG import (either using GenBridge or his own tools) in RootsMagic X (where X is an unknown variable).

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#22 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

Doing a little web searching, I now realize that the problem is that TMG does not export its Witness data or linkages to GEDCOM at all. On this page, there is some insight and a procedure within TMG to incorporate a witnesses sentence in the Principal's note which is exported: http://www.whollygen...showtopic=12843

The same page has a broken link to a utility which claimed to extract all witness sentences from the TMG database and add them as notes to the GEDCOM exported from that database.

I contacted the author of the utility who says he has revised it to support TMG 8 and that it probably will work with TMG 9 but it is currently not available for download due to some anti-virus software blocking its download. He doesn't have time to address this problem at the moment and promises to let me know when it is back up.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#23 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

The author got back to me very quickly, asking me to test it. I have installed it along with the MS FoxPro OLE provider but I do not have TMG. Would someone care to send me a TMG database that employs the 'witness' feature along with a full GEDCOM from it? Alternatively, and I'm waiting for his concurrence, I can forward you his instructions and you can be the tester.

#24 jrwhiskey

jrwhiskey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

The author got back to me very quickly, asking me to test it. I have installed it along with the MS FoxPro OLE provider but I do not have TMG. Would someone care to send me a TMG database that employs the 'witness' feature along with a full GEDCOM from it? Alternatively, and I'm waiting for his concurrence, I can forward you his instructions and you can be the tester.

Tom - I could send you my project as I have lots of witnesses, but I don't see an email address in your profile. I don't have my TMG file with me at work but I can send it to you this evening (EDT)

Julie

#25 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

Migrants and prospective emigres from The Master Genealogist to RootsMagic would benefit from a Knowledge Base or other site where experience and advice could be consolidated in a structured way and readily found. I am especially impressed with what the Family Historian User Group has done in that regard, some of which is very applicable to moving one's database to RootsMagic. 

For example, the FHUG Knowledge Base page Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) is a model of clarity, combining basic instructions with links to forum discussions and other resources. The 30 Jul FHUG forum post by Jimlad68 in The Master Genealogist to be Discontinued describes what he did within TMG to maximise the data exported and minimise problems after import.

TMG Witness tags (something like RM's shared events) are not exported to GEDCOM. I found reference to this problem in the TMG Forums and some description of strategies within TMG to get their data into other spaces that do export and a utility that operates on the exported GEDCOM to add events drawing the most basic data from the Witness tags. I have been testing the witnessTMG utility and will reveal more when the developer is okay with that; for the moment, I have to run a Python regular expression search and replace script on the processed GEDCOM to correct some errors.

The FHUG site has quite a compendium of resources, including Downloads and Links ~ GEDCOM Services and Utilities, including the following:

Utility ~ TMG to FH Gedcom Converter: looks promising but has potentially adverse side effects for RootsMagic imports. Operates on a GEDCOM (from TMG or wherever) and outputs a modified GEDCOM that is more compatible.

It will fix an issue to do with event descriptions and some other text fields being too long and using CONT/CONC fields, which are not allowed in the Gedcom specification. The program will also move references to multimedia attached to local notes to the overlying record.

Unlike FH, RM accepts a value in an EVEN or other event/attribute line which ends up in the Description field which I think is desirable. It does not accept a CONT or CONC following the EVEN or other event/attribute line. The utility moves the value from the EVEN line to a new TYPE line (if none exists) and the CONC value to NOTE or both to NOTE. Likewise, for other events/attributes, it moves either the CONC/CONT values alone to NOTE or with the event/attribute value. For citations, it unnecessarily concatenates all PAGE CONC|CONT lines onto the PAGE line as RM accepts them, resulting in truncation (see below). The moving of multimedia references for notes is an option and desirable.

Because it would undo the exploit of my script to transform the results of witnessTMG into EVENs with values, I recommend running TMGtoFH before witnessTMG and my script. On Export, TMG defaults to a maximum GEDCOM line width of 80; increasing that to the maximum (246) will reduce the incidence of the unacceptable CONC after events and the changes to be made by the TMGtoFH utility.

Some of my findings from working with Julie on her conversion:

IMPORT NOTES
1. RM ignores citations for NOTE (+1 @SOUR@ after NOTE).
Potential loss of citation detail, if not master source.
2. RM ignores ANCI and DESI tags
ANCI {ANCES_INTEREST} Indicates an interest in additional research for ancestors of this individual.
DESI {DESCENDANT_INT} Indicates an interest in research to identify additional descendants of this individual.
    and QUAY tag
QUAY {QUALITY_OF_DATA} An assessment of the certainty of the evidence to support the conclusion drawn from evidence. Values: [0|1|2|3]
3. RM ignores a CONC immediately following a RELI and other attributes values
TMG has a variable to set max GEDCOM line width from 30-246. It was probably set to 80.
4. RM errors in not importing nor reporting a 1 DEAT Y immediately followed by a 2 NOTE xxxxx
Unsure if the actual loss is earlier and/or later than the DEAT event, spanning other data
5. RM truncates a PAGE line at the 263rd character, corresponding I guess to a GEDCOM max value length of 255. But this is odd, because RM allows CONC|CONT after PAGE and moves long PAGE values into Research Notes rather than Page. Renders inappropriate the use of TMGtoFH utility. 

Of course, it would help a great deal if the RootsMagician would reveal any intention he has to develop a direct import from a TMG project to bypass the shortcomings of GEDCOM. I'm sure that it is technically feasible to convert TMG Witness tags into RootsMagic shared events going this route. Family Historian uses TMG's GenBridge software development kit and has direct import but no support for shared events, converting Witnesses into notes.

Edited by TomH, 07 August 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#26 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

Maybe these links have been posted here before but someone pointed them out to me off list. Two or three years ago, Debbie Parker Wayne made the decision to migrate from The Master Genealogist v7 to RootsMagic v5 and blogged about it, How prescient she was at that time. Then she talked about how she prepared herself for the transition, getting to know RootsMagic and finding what she could that might be helpful. Finally, she detailed the procedures she used in transferring data via GEDCOM, editing that file en route and cleaning up in RootsMagic. If you are on the verge, they are well worth a read.

Software Conversion - Moving to RootsMagic

Before Converting to a New Genealogy Program - RootsMagic Conversion Notes

Converting to a New Genealogy Program - RootsMagic and GEDCOM Changes

Edited by TomH, 07 August 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#27 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

The RootsMagician is currently working on a direct import of The Master Genealogist into RootsMagic. No ETA on its availability yet.

Renee
RootsMagic

#28 jimlad68

jimlad68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

Update (from the Topic originator!). Hope this helps and at least reduces any panic of TMG users.

1. Family Historian User Group has updated its import notes from TMG to advise that a direct import still works fine, BUT you must be logged into a Windows Administrator account. This direct import WILL INCLUDE WITNESS information for events in a note against the event, allowing the information to be further processed using plugins if required.

Full instructions at http://www.fhug.org....=import&s[]=tmg

2. There is more than a strong rumour that VERSION 6 OF FAMILY HISTORIAN WILL INCLUDE WITNESES and that any data imported by the direct import method above to an event note should be movable to the new V6 witness methodology via a plugin. I have no idea when the next release will be, or of the Witness methodology. I have just got used to the Family Historian GEDCOM compliant method of Shared Source text rather than Witnesses, and it makes total sense to me, so I'm not sure I would want to start on a new witness method, I will have to see how it works and how "portable" it will be. It will be interesting to compare the Witness method to that of Legacy and RootsMagic. I understand that RootsMagic already imports Witness info from Legacy. The only other hint I have of FH V6 enhancements is a more flexible way of dealing with PLACe comma separated fields.

3. As mentioned above, looks like RootsMagic are also developing a direct import from TMG, again, no release date, so if you feel there is no need to rush to move or would rather bide your time with TMG, it might save you some import headaches later if you wait for Family Historian V6 and the RootsMagic direct import, then see what they are like before choosing.

#29 debbieshields

debbieshields

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

Regarding export from TMG of witnessed events: the ability to connect multiple people to an event such as a census record (instead of having to re-create the event for each person) is one of the features that has kept me with TMG for so long. I noticed last year that my exported GEDCOM file was missing the witnessed census events, and explored this problem with TMG support.  Their response basically was "too bad".

I will probably move to RM, because it has this ability - but not until I have the time to re-enter all the census events.  

#30 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3473 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

I will probably move to RM, because it has this ability - but not until I have the time to re-enter all the census events.  

If the witness events are not exported to gedcom I would wait and see what the Rootsmagician comes up with as regards direct import, might save you a lot of trouble.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#31 jimlad68

jimlad68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:19 AM

debbieshields, I would agree with Vyger, and as per my entry, if you have the time, and it sounds like you have, wait for the other programs to come up with direct imports. I.e. Rootsmagic working on one, Family Historian should be fully "witnessable" in V6 (not just info to text as at present), not heard anything from Legacy. I was OK because I had never used "NON GEDCOM" features of TMG so a GEDCOM output was fine, but theoretically a direct import should work better. Just make sure you advise the developers direct if you have any problems as I think they are keen for it to work.

#32 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

I just want to remind everyone that this is a RootsMagic Forum. I understand the need for TMG users to find a program that will import their databases into a new genealogy program, but I think discussion about our competitors and which one works best for this process would be better served on the TMG forums. I would ask that you keep your observations, concerns and questions directed to how it relates to RootsMagic.

Renee
RootsMagic

#33 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3473 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

The RootsMagician is currently working on a direct import of The Master Genealogist into RootsMagic. No ETA on its availability yet.

I agree with you Renee, this is hardly the place to be discussing other programs that may fill the void that TMG leaves. However there is a real opportunity for companies like Rootsmagic to attract TMG users which can only be good for the future of the company.

Quote from WhollyGenes forum "Maybe I am being overly optimistic, but I think that the discontinuation of TMG will cause other genealogy software vendors to enhance their current products to better import TMG files and attract TMG users"

So in the reverse I would like to see a Rootsmagic representitive working the TMG forum, trying to understand the issues and concerns and best facilitating a solution for those TMG users who want to continue their research (maybe someone already is ;) )

I do have to say that I am completely ignorant of TMG and the possible conversion issues but it would be a shame to miss out on such an opportunity.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#34 jimlad68

jimlad68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

I suspect Renee's comment was aimed at least at me, and my sincere apologies if I have upset forum protocol. Whilst I can fully understand a developer wanting to restrict discussion to their own product, I think many users use more than one product because no one product seems to fit the bill. Many users have a main database and use other programs for extra features and sharing, hence my own obsession with portability of data. I have TMG, RootsMagic, Legacy, FTM2014 and FH on my laptop and often used both the old and new versions of FTM for just one feature. I am now looking at RootsMagic Family Atlas, so I have to consider my data structure to ensure an easy portability. When it comes to software I have always tried to be plural and always advise to get what suits the user, which might be far from the best of class.

And my heartfelt thanks to people like Renee who keep all the forums going, and keep us in check!

#35 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

I understand that the RootsMagician is in contact with several people from TMG on the issues regarding directly importing into the RootsMagic program. I don't know any more details than that, but I'm sure we are getting all bases covered.

Renee
RootsMagic

#36 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

TMG Witness tags (something like RM's shared events) are not exported to GEDCOM. I found reference to this problem in the TMG Forums and some description of strategies within TMG to get their data into other spaces that do export and a utility that operates on the exported GEDCOM to add events drawing the most basic data from the Witness tags. I have been testing the witnessTMG utility and will reveal more when the developer is okay with that; for the moment, I have to run a Python regular expression search and replace script on the processed GEDCOM to correct some errors.

A revised witnessTMG utility has been released with a fix to its error with date format: (Link to thread in The Master Genealogist v9 forum)

WitnessTMG Program

Builds witness entries from TMG propritary project files and includes them in a compatible TMG generated GEDCOM file.

This version of "witnessTMG" is the same program that was first announced on the Rootsweb TMG forum.  It has been revised to work with TMG version 8 or 9 files.

The program asks that the TMG project be identified in the form of the core " . . . __.PJC" file of the project. It also asks for the input GEDCOM file to be identified. After the program processes and inserts the witness data, a new GEDCOM file is left in the program's folder as "newGEDCOM.ged".  For reference purposes, the newly generated WITNESS statements are collected in a file named witnessOut.txt, stored in the same folder.

The generated witness statements are inserted as:
1 EVEN
2 TYPE Witness: [role] in [eventtype] for [Prin1] and [Prin2] **
2 DATE [date]*
2 PLACE [place]*

* entry is omitted when [date] or [place] is blank.
** either or both [prin1] and [prin2] is omitted when blank.

"witnessTMG" was originally developed to use gedcoms produced by some earlier versions of TMG.  It was then revised to handle gedcoms produced by TMG Version 8.  Tom Holden, another contributor to this forum, has successfully tested it with gedcoms produced by TMG version 9.

You may download the witnessTMG package via www.crestline-enterprises.com/witnessTMG.  The WitnessTMG package is in the form of a zip file, whose only content is the "WitnessTMG.exe" program.  One should extract the program from the zipped package and store in a convenient folder.  You can run it from this folder, which becomes the folder containing the output "newGEDCOM.ged".  

IMPORTANT NOTE: In order for the WitnessTMG Program to be able to read the internal files of The Master Genealogist, one must first install the Microsoft VFPOLEDB facility before installing the WitnessTMG Program.  This can be gotten from: http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=14839  I believe that one may choose either of the relevant installers to download, although I have used VFPOLEDBSetup.msi. After the VFPOLEDB facility has been installed, one may install the WitnessTMG Program. All that is strictly required is that the GEDCOM file have the same numbering conventions of the TMG file and that the TMG file include all individuals that occur in the GEDCOM file. This requirement is most easily satisfied if the TMG project is the project file itself used to generate the GEDCOM file or is a superset of that project file.

I continue to prefer that the "witness:" prefix on the TYPE line should appear as "*Witness" on the EVEN line so that only one new RootsMagic Fact Type is created for all of these EVENts but not all genealogy software accepts that extension of the GEDCOM standard. It can be changed using a text editor supporting multi line regular expression search and replace, e.g., NotePad++.

This is, at best, a partial solution that would help the early emigre to find all such events in RootsMagic and edit it according to what they see for that person in the original TMG database. Hopefully, we will see something more comprehensive.

Edited by TomH, 13 August 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#37 jrwhiskey

jrwhiskey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Sorry Renee... I got this thread going again after the TMG announcement, so I feel responsible too. I've already purchased RM 6 and like what I see so far. I too will "wait" to see about import routines that RM may create to address the TMG discontinuation while learning about RM by working on researching ancestors for a friend. I think with the use of sentence customizations, filtered list reports, and the ability to customize the events (tags) I will be pretty happy with what this software has to offer.

Julie