• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 carolene

carolene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

I often share information with others about an ancestor that we have in common using a descendant report.  I would love the option to add sources to my report.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1449 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

Run the descendant report via Reports - Publisher. There are options to include sources and indices. Once prepared, the report can be saved in several formats - I usually save in PDF format.

#3 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

I tried the Descendant List, via the publisher, as I did not find a Descendant Report and it did have the option's to print the source but when checked none printed.

Am I doing something wrong?

Roger

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1449 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

Yes, sort of.  Create a new book in Publisher, then insert a Narrative report. The options of the Narrative report can be set to either Ancestor or Descendant based, with additional choices. At the bottom of the window, look under the buttons for Sources and Indexes to get the report to include what you want.

After looking over the organization of various printed books, I've settled on this organization for my Publisher books:

Cover Page

Title Page

Copyright Page

Text Page -- this is where I describe "Other works by this author"

Table of Contents

Acknowledgements

Preface

Text Page -- this is where I describe some "Forms for collection of genealogical information"

Scrapbook -- a small collection of blank family group sheets and pedigree charts

-

various pedigree charts, descendant lists, and narrative reports - varies by project

-- the following are created and inserted by Publisher

Endnotes

Bibliography

Index of Names

Index of Places

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6080 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

If a report does not have citations as an option, Publisher does not provide them.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

The Narrative Report dose print the descendants but not in a format like the Descendants List which is what I would like.

But even the Narrative Report when you select to print the detail comments along with the source citations it dose not include the detail. In fact I don't think any of the publisher reports will include the detail comments for the sources.

I have sent a report and it is in the system but looks like close to the bottom as it has been some time since I sent in the report.

Roger

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1449 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

I just created a test book in Publisher. I set it to include chapters for a Descendant List and a Narrative (Descendants) starting from a person in the distant past. I set both chapters for 10 generations, and turned on Endnotes, Bibliography, Index of Names and Index of Places.

The Descendant List does NOT have superscripts for Endnotes (Source Citations), but the names ARE included in the Index of Names.

The Narrative chapter has superscripts for Endnotes and is included in both Indices.

Both chapters have an option to include color coding.

I think you might benefit from creating a few test books, trying out different options until you find an output format that you can use.