Photo

RM doesn't recognise death date&place in GEDCOM file from Family Tree Builder (MyHeritage)

Death gedcom Family Tree Builder

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3436 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

I tried in Excel, because I couldn't figure out how to delete whole lines based on the search for one "word" in that line. It worked more or less. Some of the information really doesn't import very well, but I guess that is FTB's fault. There is no way to fine tune the GEDCOM export from what I can find.

Sorry but I missed this earlier.

Press Alt and F11 in Excel to open the VBE editor, click the + on Modules in the left pane and double click Module 1. Paste the code below into the window that opens then press F5 to run it.

Sub Delete_Unwanted()

'This will loop through every row in the worksheet
    For r = 1 To Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row
        'Copy and paste the next line with any other unique identifiers between the quotes
        If InStr(Cells(r, 1), "2 _UID") Then Rows(r & ":" & r).Delete Shift:=xlUp
        If InStr(Cells(r, 1), "2 RIN") Then Rows(r & ":" & r).Delete Shift:=xlUp
    Next r

End Sub

Keeping it simple it will only run on the active worksheet so I am assuming you have that sheet selected with your gedcom pasted into it.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#22 julia78

julia78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Sorry but I missed this earlier.

Press Alt and F11 in Excel to open the VBE editor, click the + on Modules in the left pane and double click Module 1. Paste the code below into the window that opens then press F5 to run it.

Sub Delete_Unwanted()

'This will loop through every row in the worksheet
    For r = 1 To Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row
        'Copy and paste the next line with any other unique identifiers between the quotes
        If InStr(Cells(r, 1), "2 _UID") Then Rows(r & ":" & r).Delete Shift:=xlUp
        If InStr(Cells(r, 1), "2 RIN") Then Rows(r & ":" & r).Delete Shift:=xlUp
    Next r

End Sub

Keeping it simple it will only run on the active worksheet so I am assuming you have that sheet selected with your gedcom pasted into it.

Oh, wow, this is going to be useful! Thank you! 

#23 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3436 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

Oh, wow, this is going to be useful! Thank you! 

Enjoy but do be careful and check results.

I also use a free program called Winmerge to compare before and after gedcoms for the desired results.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#24 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

Hi,

I'm using RM Essentials to try this sofware out. I was very excited about it: until I noticed it won't import any death dates& places from the GEDCOM file. I've checked and this data is actually in the GEDCOM file.

I'm hoping there is a work around this problem, because I see features that have made me really want to buy RM. No use to me though, if it can't import death dates...  :(

Any ideas?

thanks.

Julia, I must apologise for missing the fundamental reason why your import of the FTB GEDCOM into RM lost the Death information. I think it was a known problem before your post but came into focus recently with an import from TMG GEDCOM having the same issue. RootsMagic mistakenly thinks there should be nothing more about the Death event after the line "1 DEAT Y", i.e., that this line is merely an assertion that the person is not living and is not an event. See my message posted today at http://forums.rootsm...ion/#entry65480 for more explanation and the workaround. 

Meanwhile, the RootsMagician should see to it that this misinterpretation of the GEDCOM standard gets corrected so that it does not adversely affect people interested in migrating from competing programs such as Family Tree Builder and The Master Genealogist and, no doubt, others that do interpret the specification correctly.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#25 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

Confirming issue noted in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#26 julia78

julia78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

Well, I imagined as much, and in the end just went with an alternative that worked for me. If this issue gets solved sometime I will give RM another try. Thank you so much! 

#27 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Meanwhile, the RootsMagician should see to it that this misinterpretation of the GEDCOM standard gets corrected so that it does not adversely affect people interested in migrating from competing programs such as Family Tree Builder and The Master Genealogist and, no doubt, others that do interpret the specification correctly.

I'm not sure whether it's better to post the following comments here, or in the other thread about "Y" in  Death Location to which Tom refers. But I decided to post here. As Tom has already indicated, the fundamental problem here seems to be the fact that there is a Living flag in RM and there is a Death fact in RM, and the two interact in some curious ways. Further, there is not consistency within RM between the way RM handles the Living flag and the Death fact in GEDCOM import vs. the way it handles them on GEDCOM export. I'm not 100% sure (and I'm sure that Tom will correct me if I'm wrong), but I think this is another case where RM can't import its own GEDCOM correctly. If so, then it's another case where drag and drop has difficulty.

But none of that is really the reason I'm posting this message. I'm posting this message to speak against the whole concept of the Living  flag. The problem with the Living flag it is that it's completely static, and the ability to filter based on whether a person is still living or not needs to be dynamic. It's almost like the Static Groups vs. Dynamic Groups discussions that we have so many times.

I offer as an example of "doing it right" the way GEDCOM is handled when it is uploaded to rootsweb.com. When you upload GEDCOM to rootsweb.com, you can if you wish upload your GEDCOM with no Living vs. not Living filtering whatsoever in the GEDCOM itself. Rather, there is a pretty rich set of criteria that you can use for filtering and the criteria is totally dynamic. For example, you can tell rootsweb.com to consider people born after 1920 and without a death fact to be considered living for the purposes of filtering. Then 5 minutes later or 5 days later or 5 months later, you can change the filter to consider people born after 1915 and without a death fact to be considered living for the purposes of filtering.  You GEDCOM doesn't have to be reloaded or changed in any way. The only thing that has to be changed is the filtering itself. I just think this is a whole lot better approach to filtering than is the Living flag.

Jerry