Photo

RM doesn't recognise death date&place in GEDCOM file from Family Tree Builder (MyHeritage)

Death gedcom Family Tree Builder

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 julia78

julia78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

Hi,

I'm using RM Essentials to try this sofware out. I was very excited about it: until I noticed it won't import any death dates& places from the GEDCOM file. I've checked and this data is actually in the GEDCOM file.

I'm hoping there is a work around this problem, because I see features that have made me really want to buy RM. No use to me though, if it can't import death dates...  :(

Any ideas?

thanks.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

Check the .LST file in the same folder as your RM database and having the same name. It lists the things with which it had problems during the import.

When you open a person missing a known death date and place in the Edit Person screen, do you see a Death fact listed? That is, does it even generate a Death fact - without a date and place there might be no point.

What you might do is to export from RM a person with a death fact including date and place and see how it looks in its GEDCOM and compare that to what you see in the GEDCOM from Family Tree Builder. That might suggest something you might be able to do with a text editor to modify the FTB GEDCOM so that RM is happier with it. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:11 AM

I do a lot of work generating my own gedcom files and importing into RM and have always found RM surprisingly tolerant and flexible in accepting format variations so I find it hard to understand this problem without seeing an example so it would be very useful if you copied one into a reply.

Basic gedcom Death gedcom looks like below:

1 DEAT
2 DATE 16 NOV 1875
2 PLAC City, Country

Adding the additional details of cause of death and the address, building etc where the death took place would look like :

1 DEAT
2 CAUS bronchitis
2 DATE 16 NOV 1875
2 PLAC City, Country
2 ADDR General Hospital

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 julia78

julia78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

Thank you very much for your quick replies and great help! Both your tips went straight to the problem.

I gave a better look at the GEDCOM based on your information and it does seem to have strange code/info in it:

1 NAME Francisco Garcia /Máximo Salgueiro/
2 GIVN Francisco Garcia
2 SURN Máximo Salgueiro
1 SEX M
1 DEAT Y
2 _UID 535926CDC5C7028DD0013D49C898B13A
2 RIN MH:IF8
2 DATE 29 NOV 1985
2 PLAC Lisboa, Portugal
2 CAUS Cancro Pulmão
1 BIRT
2 _UID 535926CDC6DB028DE0013D49C898B13A
2 RIN MH:IF9
2 DATE 28 DEC 1918
2 PLAC Amareleja, Moura, Portugal
1 FAMS @F2@
0 @I5@ INDI
1 RIN MH:I5
1 _UID 7V0DW9D9-44F9-Q8DP-DDB2-DDB2W0FOD87D
1 _UPD 26 APR 2014 01:32:20 GMT+-0
The UID, RIN, FAMS, I have no idea what they are. And the .LST file seems to agree with me  :P :
Unknown info (line 96)
    1 _UPD 25 APR 2014 00:13:00 GMT+-0    2 _UID 535926CDC5C7028DD0013D49C898B13A
    2 RIN MH:IF8
    2 DATE 29 NOV 1985
    2 PLAC Lisboa, Portugal
    2 CAUS Cancro Pulmão
Unknown info (line 108)
    2 _UID 535926CDC6DB028DE0013D49C898B13AUnknown info (line 109)
    2 RIN MH:IF9Unknown info (line 113)
    2 _UID 535926CDC723028DF0013D49C898B13AUnknown info (line 114)
    2 RIN MH:IF10Unknown info (line 118)
    1 RIN MH:I5Unknown info (line 120)
    1 _UPD 26 APR 2014 01:32:20 GMT+-0
So now, I guess I need to figure out a way of how to edit all of the GEDCOM file. It feels like a gargantuan task, but hopefully not.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

It won't be too difficult, you could do it in a text editor but first check if your previous program has different output options you could switch off.

If you are stuck I am willing to help you or do it for you but since I am currently reporting from beautiful Portugal that won't be until I get home next week B)

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

Check whether Family Tree Builder has options for its GEDCOM export. Perhaps there is a cleaner version. 

Submit a support request along with your FTB GEDCOM to RM Support - maybe they can revise the import procedure to be more accommodating to FTB's peculiarities.

Use a text editor that has regular expression search & replace to delete all the lines with custom tags ( they have the underscore character leading the tag name) and then import.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 julia78

julia78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

It won't be too difficult, you could do it in a text editor but first check if your previous program has different output options you could switch off.

If you are stuck I am willing to help you or do it for you but since I am currently reporting from beautiful Portugal that won't be until I get home next week B)

Thank you for your offer. I will test all my options thoroughly and hopefully not bother you with the editing bit!

I'm glad you like Portugal, I live here!! :D

#8 julia78

julia78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

Check whether Family Tree Builder has options for its GEDCOM export. Perhaps there is a cleaner version. 

Submit a support request along with your FTB GEDCOM to RM Support - maybe they can revise the import procedure to be more accommodating to FTB's peculiarities.

Use a text editor that has regular expression search & replace to delete all the lines with custom tags ( they have the underscore character leading the tag name) and then import.

Thanks,

I tried in Excel, because I couldn't figure out how to delete whole lines based on the search for one "word" in that line. It worked more or less. Some of the information really doesn't import very well, but I guess that is FTB's fault. There is no way to fine tune the GEDCOM export from what I can find.

I will keep trying and testing options - I love the easy way RM exports Narratives and Reports based on Sosa-Stradonitz (Ahnentafel) numbering, the easy pedigree charts, etc. Family Tree Builder and MyHeritage make good graphics and reports and even support other languages such as portuguese (I do have to correct a lot, though, lol) - which is very good for a free software. But these more advanced options simply aren't there, no way of using standard numbering systems, unfortunately.

I am going to follow your suggestions and contact RM Support. It might help!

BTW, when finished in Roots Magic, do you use any online websites - that is to say, which would you recommend to use in conjunction with Roots Magic (by way of Gedcom export/import, I guess)?

Thank you once again for your help.

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

Thank you for your offer. I will test all my options thoroughly and hopefully not bother you with the editing bit!

I'm glad you like Portugal, I live here!! :D

It's no bother, only too glad to help.

I live here a small part of the year and have a fiscal number so that's half the battle B)

Don't be afraid to ask if you need any more help.

Root

#10 julia78

julia78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

It's no bother, only too glad to help.

I live here a small part of the year and have a fiscal number so that's half the battle B)

Don't be afraid to ask if you need any more help.

I would like to ask you what I asked TomH - in coordination with Roots Magic, do you use any online websites - that is to say, which would you recommend to use in conjunction with Roots Magic (by way of Gedcom export/import, I guess)?

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

I would like to ask you what I asked TomH - in coordination with Roots Magic, do you use any online websites - that is to say, which would you recommend to use in conjunction with Roots Magic (by way of Gedcom export/import, I guess)?

Everyone works a little differently and has different needs. Personally I pursue a name study on four main surnames worldwide and some other surnames to a more country specific level so my database tends to be large and I import chunks of data at a time.

I compile data from web collections and then through a bit of simple coding convert the data to gedcom for import into RM, not everyone would work in such a way.

I do use FamilySearch which is facilitated within Rootsmagic and have found some previously unearthed facts from that linkage, I did use Genesreunited for some years with some success but have dropped that recently, Ancestry I dip in and out of.

Root

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

I initially thought your question about online websites had to do with publishing your tree from your RootsMagic database. Vyger reoriented my focus toward online research websites. My answer is that RootsMagic is programmed to interact with myrootsmagic.com for publishing, can create a static html website that can be uploaded to any basic webhost but is a feature now deprecated, can transfer people, facts, sources to and from FamilySearch Family Tree and interact with it in ways that it cannot with other websites. It can launch simple queries to a number of research websites but the queries almost always need to be refined to narrow the results; moreover, there are research websites which do not accept the mechanism RM uses to transmit the query.

I do most of my research on Ancestry.ca, starting sometimes with the upload of a GEDCOM from RM, or from scratch, building a tree online from the evidence I find. However, there are lots of issues with the GEDCOM from Ancestry; don't imagine that "synchronisation" is in any way descriptive of how RM and Ancestry interwork.

#13 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:36 PM

... can create a static html website that can be uploaded to any basic webhost but is a feature now deprecated,

No offense, but I'm thinking that "deprecated" just isn't the right word. Currently, RootsMagic users SHOULD NOT AVOID using the Create HTML files feature (as the word deprecated might suggest). It is still complete and robust. I believe the intent mentioned was for the Publish online option to someday achieve feature parity with the old way. Then depecation or obsoletion will occur... but not until and this point was emphasized by Staff (Renee and the programmer for the Publish feature).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

No offense, but I'm thinking that "deprecated" just isn't the right word.

From the RootsMagician:

The old HTML websites are being replaced by the Publish Online feature. The HTML website feature was left in RM6 as we transition to the new sites. All future programming effort is being directed towards the Publish online feature and no further programming work is being done on the HTML sites.

deprecated definition
Said of a program or feature that is considered obsolescent and in the process of being phased out, usually in favour of a specified replacement.

Given the pace of development of the replacement, perhaps it is premature to declare the old Create HTML "deprecated" but its faults will not be fixed, it's not getting any better, its product is obsolete HTML code... So should one build practices around it?

#15 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:45 AM

Given the pace of development of the replacement, perhaps it is premature to declare the old Create HTML "deprecated" but its faults will not be fixed, it's not getting any better, its product is obsolete HTML code... So should one build practices around it?

Yes! :rolleyes:    (because it's been announced that it will not be withdrawn until a replacement is in place - but I'm concerned that the replacement will not really be a replacement. I need a Descendant book on the Web that looks like a descendant narrative report, discoverable by Google and searchable by Google, with one-click links between the generations and one-click links to the sources, and which is fast to load into a viewer's browser.)

Jerry

#16 julia78

julia78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

I'm very ignorant about HTML code and such.

But I did explore the possibility of using myrootsmagic.com for publishing family sites. Unfortunately I was almost immediately put off by the outdated design and the very limited features (when compared to other online options out there). At least that's what the sample website indicates: http://my.rootsmagic...mple/index.html.

It has a Pedigree Chart and individual or family groups presentation, but no "all-in-one" interactive chart options as most online websites now have. As TomH referred, a good Descendant book, Google friendly, would be an important option. And other features such a world map with pin points and links on it, a nice interactive photo gallery, maybe even a chat area for reserved members, interaction with facebook and such, a more "blog-able" area, a page dedicated to sources, etc.

But a more updated and beautiful design, for me, would be crucial. Good presentation, clarity, accessibility are, for me, the key features in a family website. Genealogists and family research fanatics generally aren't good designers or visual artists! Old-fashioned family websites look terrible and put younger family members off, as well as other members of the public. If the objective is to create something for the family and to present it to the world outside, it needs to be appealing, not boring! Unless we aim to communicate only unto ourselves and our pears, of course...

#17 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

I tried in Excel, because I couldn't figure out how to delete whole lines based on the search for one "word" in that line. It worked more or less. 

Here's a trick for Excel. Insert a column on the left and fill it with a series of numbers 1,2,3,... This column will be used for resorting. Then sort on the GEDCOM column. Scroll down to where you find all the  1 _XXX... and 2 _XXX... lines. Select and delete these rows. Resort on the series column to return to the original order, sans the custom lines. Delete the series column and save to text file. Import.  

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

But a more updated and beautiful design, for me, would be crucial. 

Don't hold your breath for RootsMagic to ever satisfy your desire, short of their charging for a premium website. You should explore other family tree websites to find one that serves your needs and you can afford. Virtually all will import a GEDCOM. Some will entice you to use their own software for better integration, e.g., Ancestry, MyHeritage...

#19 julia78

julia78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

Here's a trick for Excel. Insert a column on the left and fill it with a series of numbers 1,2,3,... This column will be used for resorting. Then sort on the GEDCOM column. Scroll down to where you find all the  1 _XXX... and 2 _XXX... lines. Select and delete these rows. Resort on the series column to return to the original order, sans the custom lines. Delete the series column and save to text file. Import.  

Wow. very simple and clever. Thanks!

#20 julia78

julia78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

I'm very ignorant about HTML code and such.

But I did explore the possibility of using myrootsmagic.com for publishing family sites. Unfortunately I was almost immediately put off by the outdated design and the very limited features (when compared to other online options out there). At least that's what the sample website indicates: http://my.rootsmagic...mple/index.html.

It has a Pedigree Chart and individual or family groups presentation, but no "all-in-one" interactive chart options as most online websites now have. As TomH referred, a good Descendant book, Google friendly, would be an important option. And other features such a world map with pin points and links on it, a nice interactive photo gallery, maybe even a chat area for reserved members, interaction with facebook and such, a more "blog-able" area, a page dedicated to sources, etc.

But a more updated and beautiful design, for me, would be crucial. Good presentation, clarity, accessibility are, for me, the key features in a family website. Genealogists and family research fanatics generally aren't good designers or visual artists! Old-fashioned family websites look terrible and put younger family members off, as well as other members of the public. If the objective is to create something for the family and to present it to the world outside, it needs to be appealing, not boring! Unless we aim to communicate only unto ourselves and our pears, of course...

Sorry, I misquoted and meant Jerry about the Descendant book!  :blink:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Death, gedcom, Family Tree Builder