4 replies to this topic

#1 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

I add a lot of different Fact Types to the program.

However, when I create a new database, only the standard canned fact types appear. 

In order to get all of my current fact types into a new data, I've resorted to creating an individual called "!DATABASE!"

Every time I create a new fact type I add that fact to my !DATABASE! individual.

When I want to create a new database I GEDCOM this one individual out and all of the fact types come with him.

My question is this - is there any way for Roots Magic to save my Fact Types and add them to new database.

We are able to show some custom paths in our configuration.  Why not dump any user created fact types into a file and let us point to it.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3698 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Fact Types are stored in the FactTypeTable table in the database file. Others have had to resort to your trick to preserve customisations when creating a new database. Or use a sqlite query such as http://sqlitetoolsfo...Places, Sources

It would seem to be a trivial enhancement to add a feature to create a new database from an existing one with selected customisations preserved.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Once you create the new database and add the new facts by GEDCOM import, delete the person and name your database something like NEW-WITH-FACTS, then bnack it up.

Next time you want to start a new database restore that backup and rename the new database appropriately and go from there,

The backup will remain ready for any new databases you want to start.

Alfred

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:49 AM

Alfred's idea is appropriate, but WOULD NOT contain any new Fact Types created after the blank database had been backed up. In order to be most current, it would be necessary to re-create the blank database after each new fact type is created, or to create a new blank database using the !DATBASE! drag-n-drop just before starting the new project. Not much of a timesaver....

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2375 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:03 AM

I add a lot of different Fact Types to the program.

Your fix is the only one which really works to preserve such facts.

One thing I would like to add to this thread is that 25 years ago when I started computer genealogy I created custom facts at the drop of a hat and since regretted that decision and worked to reverse that. Receiving and exchanging data with other users only compounds the problem where their custom facts then add to your custom facts and one gets to the stage where the information contained within those FACT tags is a mess which is impossible to present in any meaningful way.

Back when I started the Fact list was quite restrictive and yes I do have a small number of custom facts I use only for my own use and they are not marked for gedcom export. You may well be doing the same but I would encourage looking for a standard fact that works for the data where possible and there is almost always one that fits.

I am cleaning a gedcom at the moment where a number of custom facts exist like "Lived at 1923", "Lived at 1930" etc etc. which accounts for 67 custom facts in total and impossible to report out.  I would guess the user created these facts to get some kind of readable output for their own needs in a report or list but the Residence Fact and the sentence structure covers all these needs.

I would just encourage careful forethought and resist the temptation to reinvent the wheel.

Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research