2 replies to this topic

#1 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

I got a new Nexus 7 for Christmas and love it. I have not yet installed RM app for Android. I also have a gripe with Dropbox and do not want to use it. 

1. How can I install the app without Dropbox?

And most importantly,

2. How do I keep the app synced with my master databases on RM which is on my Desktop running Windows 7?

Simple explanations please. I am a researcher and did history in university. I'm not at all technical.

Thanks

Canuk
Searching in Kent, England

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3672 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

i don't use android but i assume you would install the RootsMagic app just as you would any other. However, based on the FAQ at http://www.rootsmagic.com/App/FAQ/ , Dropbox appears to be the only mechanism to transfer a file from a Windows computer to the RM Android app.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

The only option with the Android app is to install via Dropbox. You don't need to install Dropbox on your computer if you don't want to. But you do need to setup an account at least online with them.

The app is read only so you cannot make any edit while its on your device, so there is no "syncing" back and forth. To update the device with your newer version of your database you use File>Save to Dropbox for Apps and it will allow you to login to Dropbox and upload your database.

Renee
RootsMagic