• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dvickers

dvickers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Can you chose a default set of parents (and change it back and forth) if you have two sets linked to the same child?  And How?

Been all over the forums and can't find what I am looking for and been all over RM.

Thx!

Dave

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3297 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Highlight the child on a main screen.  At the top left of the main screen, click on the arrow to the right of where it says Parents. Choose the parents to change to.

Highlight the child on the main screen. Choose the Family icon in the Sidebar.  Choose one of the other parents.

The parents that are chosen when reports are made or RM is closed will be the default parents.

Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

I have a few adopted and foster children in my database. For most of them I have two sets of parents. I'd like to be able to run a pedigree chart for those children that includes BOTH sets of parents and ancestors. This is also something that should be possible for step-children, where one of the birth parents has remarried. The current operation of RM seems to be that the parents who LAST HAD THE FOCUS will be printed in pedigree charts and reports. With a large file, that just doesn't provide ANY flexibility. There's not even a way to mark one of the two sets of parents as "primary," which would at least give clear control of which gets printed....

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4038 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

You would want to create this using a wall chart because a simply pedigree chart would run out of room very quickly if you added extra parents and their lines. It would require you to edit the wall chart to display the two pedigree lines. I still think it would be much easier to just leave it like it is and just print two different pedigree charts. I could see changes to the wall chart printing more a possibility.

There is an enhancement request in our tracking system to actually mark a set of parents as primary for reports, etc. But, keep in mind if we did that you would still need to go in and change who is primary if you want to print the other set of parents. Technically its the same as what is already the process but you would now create one more step of marking the new primary set of parents, so your not really any further ahead step wise doing that. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

Right. Consider a blended family, with two parents each previously married (and with children) who now have a common child.

RM has NO WAY to run a report (certainly not within the Publisher) properly describing this family.

I sure wish RM could handle this....