5 replies to this topic

#1 dvickers

dvickers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

I searched past forums and found a 2006 thread but nothing newer, so I have the following information and request for help.

What happened to Share Merge?

Has anyone tried a backup/file/device synchronization program called GoodSync http://www.goodsync.com/ from Siber Systems?  It is a 30 day free trial and then $29.95 price after that.

I copied and renamed two folders including an RM database in each, plus folders in each of the associated media-one on the system hard drive and other on a USB stick.  I made some changes in one folder in adding a picture and went into that associated database and linked it to the person.  There were also several other items in the one that were not in the other.  I then ran GoodSync and synchronized the two folders.  Everything synchronized perfectly as near as I have been able to tell, with initial inspection.

This is a new area for me and can’t even be considered a novice on this subject.  I would appreciate some guidance from the more knowledgeable heads on this group.

Thx,

Dave

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

Share Merge is a current feature.

Synchronisation is frequent topic of discussion but may be under various subjects such as collaboration, sharing, Dropbox, Google Drive, Skydrive, cloud storage...I described my current setup under the topic Using RootsMagic on a Windows Tablet or something like that.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:43 AM

I couldn't be without such a utility although the one I use is several years old it still does what I want, so research the market for your needs.

I sync my laptop with my desktop and my full genealogy folder collection with my flash drive for RMtoGO.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

My favorite sync tool is Ztree http://ztree.com/  It has been available for many years, and allows syncing files, folders, and drives.

#5 larrewl

larrewl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

I recommend adding some remote/cloud storage in addition to a removable hard drive as "Acts of God" backup.. I use Google Drive as I use Google Gmail, Calendar, etc. to sync with my family's PCs, Android smartphones, etc. But any of the services recently review by c/net

http://www.cnet.com/...-right-for-you/

should work for you.

#6 GeoffB

GeoffB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:09 AM

I have used 'Goodsync' for some years to simultaneously deliver two objectives: firstly to provide regular incremental backups of my data but secondly to synchronise all my data and report files etc and all my media items between the two different PCs that I regularly use.  This ensures that I am always accessing the most up-to-date files.  I explain my approach in an earlier post last August (see http://forums.rootsm...ver/#entry59578).

As I explained, I use a network attached storage (NAS) device (now a Synology disk station but previously a GoFlex drive) as my backup store and as the 'syncing link' though it is possible using Godsynce to directly link computers wirelessly without an NAS or USB.

It is, of course, easy to use Dropbox, Google drive Onedrive or any of the other many cloud storage options instead. but with significant data to store and transfer that is likely to incur data charges and can slow down your work if changes are synced 'real-time'.  More significantly though, Goodsync provides a highly customisable options about what and where to sync data to and when.  I make sure that my genealogy data is synced as soon as the PCs boots or re-starts and incrementally - ie any change in the file (ie when actually working in Rootsmagic) is synced to the NAS. Goodsynce, and probably other such programs, saves any changes made to a file rather than having to always overwrite the whole file.  This enables you to see what changes to files have been stored (with the option to retain different versions or deleted files if required) and ensures that you do no forget to sync or backup your files and that any changes made during a session are not lost if your PC or program freezes.  It also enables you to set up options to prevent you inadvertently doing something that (say) overwrites a newer file with an older version or wipes all your data without retain copies of any deleted files for a specified period.