• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Penny Blake

Penny Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

I have started to develope a policy of adding media files to all source citations.

This is normally attached to the citation but in some examples I have to attach it to the master source.

The media is generally a pdf print off of the sources, for example, if I see a website that gives me information them I print the page to pdf format, save it and link the media to the source.

When Im not able to get an image I attach a jpg that is simply a white square with a black border and in a red font the words "No Omage available", so that at least something is attached.

Is there an easy way I can go through my sources and tell which ones do not have media attached?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

No easy way within RootsMagic that I can think of. An external SQLite query could do it.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

My RMtrix utility (link below) shows the count of media in its Source > Master Sources and Souces > Source List (citations) screens. Click on the MediaCtr and Media columns respectively to sort so that all those without media (blank) are together.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Penny Blake

Penny Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

My RMtrix utility (link below) shows the count of media in its Source > Master Sources and Souces > Source List (citations) screens. Click on the MediaCtr and Media columns respectively to sort so that all those without media (blank) are together.

Yeah, I looked into that SQL thingy, there was a post about cleaning up unused sources or something, but the whole thing just baffled me. I installed the program, downloaded the script and it just looked at me with all these boxes and things.

No offence but Im an amatuer genealogist (And apparantly not a good one at that) not a computer programmer.

Im guessing Ill have to periodically check my sources and look at the media.

Thanks for the replies peeps

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:29 AM

You can get a report in RootsMagic of Sources and Citations that do have Multimedia linked, Reports, List, Multimedia list.

Check both the Source and Citation boxes and all the types of media.

Compare this report to a Source report with Source details included.  Any Source details on the Source report that isn't in the Multimedia report doesn't have any media linked to it.

When I link media to a source detail, I enter Media linked and the description of the media I linked in the Source detail Comment box.

I can then use the Media linked as a search criteria.

#6 Penny Blake

Penny Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:49 AM

You can get a report in RootsMagic of Sources and Citations that do have Multimedia linked, Reports, List, Multimedia list.

Check both the Source and Citation boxes and all the types of media. 

Yeah, I looked at that, but what Im after is a list of sources that have no media

(Just noticed I wrote the title wrong - Should read Media missing from source)

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:32 AM

I know you are looking for an easy answer for finding out what Master sources or source details don't have media linked, but there isn't one as RootsMagic doesn't have a report that will tell you that.

#8 Penny Blake

Penny Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:56 AM

I know you are looking for an easy answer for finding out what Master sources or source details don't have media linked, but there isn't one as RootsMagic doesn't have a report that will tell you that.

Which is what TomH said :)

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8453 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

Confirming enhancement request for a report to show if a source or citation has media attached or not, is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

Yeah, I looked into that SQL thingy, there was a post about cleaning up unused sources or something, but the whole thing just baffled me. I installed the program, downloaded the script and it just looked at me with all these boxes and things.

No offence but Im ... not a computer programmer.

Penny, RMtrix is a program - you do not have to be a programmer to use it. Here is a sample screenshot showing how it displays the count of media attached to a Master Source:

RMtrix_Master_Sources_screenshot.png

There is a similar screen for Citations: Sources > Source List. You simply download and install the version appropriate to your Windows system (32-bit or 64-bit) from http://sqlitetoolsfo...lities - RMtrix. If you install the wrong version, you will get an error message when you use it - uninstall and redo with the other one.

That said, you also do not have to be a programmer to use SQLite scripts. You do have to learn how to open a RootsMagic database file, load and execute scripts - using the SQLite manager of your choice. The Sources screens in RMtrix can also be generated by running the scripts at http://sqlitetoolsfo...urce List Query with SQLiteSpy or SQLiteExpert Personal. RMtrix merely integrates the scripts and SQLite engine in a convenient, easy-to-use application.

Of course, neither the scripts nor RMtrix are supported by RootsMagic. Use at your own risk. Take sensible precautions - backup your database...

#11 Penny Blake

Penny Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

Do you have an alternative download site?

I got the message 

RMtrix64.zip is malicious,

and Chrome has blocked it

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

Perhaps you should use the Microsoft browser - Chrome might be a little prejudiced given that RMtrix is based on Microsoft's Visual Studio, C# and .net ;). Usually, you can override such warnings by declaring that you trust the site. I just downloaded and installed it on my Windows tablet yesterday with no problem but I forget whether I did so using Chrome or Internet Explorer.

#13 Penny Blake

Penny Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

Perhaps you should use the Microsoft browser - Chrome might be a little prejudiced given that RMtrix is based on Microsoft's Visual Studio, C# and .net ;). Usually, you can override such warnings by declaring that you trust the site. I just downloaded and installed it on my Windows tablet yesterday with no problem but I forget whether I did so using Chrome or Internet Explorer.

Haha, a racist browser :)

OK, Ill try in IE and then report back my next problem :)

#14 Penny Blake

Penny Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

Holy Moley, thats amazing.

Ill be honest and say that many of those options are not needed (For example, why do you need the to-do list and duplicate matches when they are in RM) but what you have is amazing.

I could look at that data for ages.

#15 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

Glad you got RMtrix working okay. Yes, there may be some functions in it that are no longer needed. Many were developed in response to shortcomings in RM4 and 5, some of which may have been mitigated subsequently. In some cases, the same information available in a RM report or screen is merely output in spreadsheet format; the To-Do screen is perhaps a good example but such a view is advantageous for some users and purposes. Duplicate Name Search was developed as a much speedier tool than the one in RootsMagic, which, on very large files, would come to a standstill.Almost all the queries in RMtrix were originally developed as SQLite scripts and published on the wiki; however, there are many scripts that have not been incorporated in RMtrix.