• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jant1425

jant1425

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

I've purchased a 1TB Dell external harddrive because my desktop harddrive is almost full. I  have moved all of my documents and photos to the external drive but still need more space. The external drive connects via a USB plug. Can I put my RM 6 software on the external drive and use the software from there? I don't want to switch data between two drives and really don't want to buy a new computer right now! Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

Do you have an extra bay in the computer and a power supply sufficient for an internal drive?  If you have SATA drives already, an extra 1TB should cost about $65.  The external drives are slower.  How large is the "C:" drive?  And how full is it?

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

I just checked the size of RM Version 6.3.0.6.  40 files use 73.1 mb of storage.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

You can use a tool such as SymMover to move folders from your choked drive to your big drive and replace them with symbolic links (junction points) having the same name. Nothing else needs to be changed to keep shortcuts, software updates, etc. working normally. http://download.cnet...4-75677418.html There are other such utilities and manual ways of doing this.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 jant1425

jant1425

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

My system is a Dell Inspiron 537 using Vista Home Premium, 64 bit, 283 gb hd with 1.81 gb free. The recovery portion is 14.9 gb with 7.87gb free. 

John-you asked about an extra bay and power supply-I am not sure that I do have the extra bay and not sure what you mean about the power supply. I have not had the box opened in a very long time and am not that comfortable messing around inside. I do have an extra door on the front of the box with nothing connected to it. Similar to when they were built with a floppy drive a and b.

Tom-If I understand correctly, you are saying that if I use SymMover, I can move software to the external drive and use it from there. Is this correct? Some reviews were not too favorable.

I'm going to install rarely used programs onto it a laptop and then remove them from my desktop. I'll see how much space I free up with this action.

My system has run very good and this is the first issue I have had. Thank you both for the ideas and help. I really do appreciate it!

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

I see from a C-Net review that it is a tower with two drive bays so you could add an internal drive which would operate much faster for you than an external drive via its USB 2.0 port. The review does not say whether the internal drive bus is SATA or IDE or ...- you could find out in the manual. Your power supply is likely capable of supporting a second drive. The downside of moving your programs over to the external drive is speed - they will be slower starting and also executing when DLLs or other program files need to be loaded.

I have not used SymMover yet - I have used manual means in Win 8.1 Disk Management to move Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and other stuff - see http://forums.rootsm...ets/#entry63209. SymMover provides a slick user interface over the underlying same procedures, making it very convenient to move many folders. Apparently, there are caveats such as not moving the Programs folder but you can move any of its sub-folders. 

You can uninstall programs and reinstall on the new drive as another way of moving them.

As this is clearly not a RootsMagic issue, Renee will likely call a halt to the discussion. You should look for a Vista users forum to help with your problem.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3964 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

I have moved this discussion to the General Messages Forum. You can get into as much detail as needed there on this issue.

On the RootsMagic side we recommend that you install RootsMagic on the C drive and not install on an external. We have seen issues when people install on their external drives. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

My system is a Dell Inspiron 537 using Vista Home Premium, 64 bit, 283 gb hd with 1.81 gb free. The recovery portion is 14.9 gb with 7.87gb free. 

I'd be questioning what else is on your hard drive that isn't essential.  280 gb +/- something more than system files (since you said you already moved documents and photos). 

Have you run Windows Vista's built-in Disk Cleanup? http://windows.micro...rt-disk-cleanup

#9 jant1425

jant1425

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have recouped almost 4gb of space by removing documents, photos, running disk cleanup and removing obsolete programs. I'm still working on things but hope that what I have done will work for a while. I use Norton 360 for virus and firewall and know they can be a space hog. Just not sure of other protection software. Will work with what I have for now. Thanks everyone!

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

There must be a lot more that you could move or delete - what is using up so much space? On a hard drive, it is recommended to keep 20% free so that defragmentation can be performed and the rate of fragmenting kept low. A file that is scattered all over the drive is slower than if it is contiguous. I'm sure there is a utility that can give you a report on file and folder sizes - CCleaner is a great tool for some things but I don't recall if it has that feature.

#11 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have recouped almost 4gb of space by removing documents, photos, running disk cleanup and removing obsolete programs. I'm still working on things but hope that what I have done will work for a while. I use Norton 360 for virus and firewall and know they can be a space hog. Just not sure of other protection software. Will work with what I have for now. Thanks everyone!

WinDirStat - free, open-source disk usage analyzer

http://www.fosshub.com/WinDirStat.html

Windows Vista - built-in firewall

Start / Control Panel / Security / Windows Firewall

Microsoft Security Essentials - free protection from viruses, trojans, worms, malware and spyware

http://windows.micro...ntials-download

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

Software called Folder Size works very well on my Windows 8.1 tablet in showing how drive space is used. Interactive pie charts make it very easy to find the hogs.

Just tried SymMover which very quickly moved the 180MB Google Earth package from C to D. It launched and operated normally, as far as I can tell. MS Office consumes over 1.3GB so I may have to move it but I am a little wary of having it on the slower drive. Anyway, SymMover is quite impressive.

#13 jant1425

jant1425

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

Thanks TomH for the info on FolderSize. I would love to know what is hogging my harddrive. I will check that out!

Ludlow, thanks for the help!

Both of you have given some really great suggestions and I will follow though on them this week. Crisis is resolved for now but want to know what is taking up all my space.

#14 jant1425

jant1425

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

TomH, I downloaded the FolderSize and it shows the System Volume Information folder is using  80% of my harddrive! I'm just not sure how to correct it and can't work on it anymore today so will approach things tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help and software suggestion!

#15 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

... it shows the System Volume Information folder is using  80% of my harddrive!

1) Delete old System Restore points, then limit System Restore to no more than 10% of your available hard drive space

2) Purge the Content Indexing folder, then consider turning off Indexing to speed up your system.

#16 jant1425

jant1425

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

Thanks Ludlow. I turned off system restore and then restarted my computer. Once the computer came back on, I turned system restore back on. I rnow have 230 gb of FREE space! I guess by turning it off and restarting the system, all the old data is erased. Anyway, I am one very happy lady.

You mentioned to set limits on how much storage restore uses. I am running Vista and do not see where I can limit the size of restore. How do I do that?

#17 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

You mentioned to set limits on how much storage restore uses. I am running Vista and do not see where I can limit the size of restore. How do I do that?

Click Start, then Search, then type CMD which will open a DOS window. Copy and paste this command into the window:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=C: /for=C: /maxsize=2GB

Change the maxsize= to whatever limit you want for your system restore file, although the default of 2GB is appropriate for most users.

Press ENTER to complete. 

#18 jant1425

jant1425

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

Followed your instructions Ludlow Bay but received following error message:

You don't have the correct permissions to run this command. Please run the utility from a command window that has elevated administrator privaleges.

C:\Users\Jan>

What now?

Thanks for the help!!!

#19 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2586 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

What now?

If you click the Windows <Start> button - then type CMD into the <Search programs and files> block - it will show cmd.exe at the top of the search results under the heading <Programs> - Right click upon that filename (cmd.exe) and choose <Run as administrator> from the dropdown menu, followed by clicking <Yes> for the User Account Control prompt - then finish with Ludlow's directions.
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#20 jant1425

jant1425

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

It worked! Thank you so much Kbers0n, Ludlow Bay and TomH for all the help and your patience. I am so grateful for your help and your time!