3 replies to this topic

#1 Penny Blake

Penny Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:57 AM

Hi Peeps

Ive been a rootsmagic user for ages now (I think since v4) and for many many tears Ive been playing with Gensmarts purely on the trial basis. I dont want to spend loads of money of too many tools, but this product has been chipping away at me until finally today I paid and downloaded the full version.

So, like all people who has a new toy Ive been playing with it. Obviously the best record to play with is myself. So I ran a gensmarts check on myself.

Only one suggestion.

ENG Birth Records

I click on the look online and it takes me to an oops page, but in essence its telling me to go to findmypast.com and that Ive indicated that I dont have a subscription to that site.

Now, for this particular record Ive sourced with personal information, a birth index, a birth certificate and a few unofiicial family documents. So, I dont really need any more evidence, and I dont need to pay for a site to provide me with nothing new.

So, what Id like to do is select an option to "ignore" this hint. But there is no ignore button.

How strange. 

Can someone please help me get rid of this annoying suggestion?

Also, being very new, could anyone tell me, or link me to a really useful "further info" page on how to get the best out of gensmarts. Ive learnt in the past to assume you know nothing. I thought I knew everything about RM until I watched some of the webinars and then I realised that I actually know hardly anything LOL

Thanks In Advance

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6265 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

Your best bet is to look at the GenSmarts website http://www.gensmarts.com/ - the faq, support and Users Forums pages. RootsMagic, the company, merely resells it.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3606 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

Are you invoking GenSmarts from within RM, or are you running it as a freestanding program? When it is invoked from within RM, there is not an ignore option. When it is invoked as a free standing program, there is an ignore option.

GenSmarts is really much more powerful when it's run as a freestanding program, but it's easier to use from within RM. I can't speak for Renee, but it seems pretty legitimate to me to use this forum to discuss using GenSmarts from within RM. For example, GenSmarts can generate a To Do list item in RM when it's used from within RM. But to discuss GenSmarts as a free standing program, it seems to me that the discussion should be moved to the GenSmarts forums.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

Jerry is correct about how we will handle GenSmart questions on this forum.

Renee
RootsMagic