21 replies to this topic

#21 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

...I invested in RM6 only to find that, as a user of XP with its "old" IE version, I cannot access Family Search from within the program although the blurb for RM6 says that it is compatible. with XP (which itself is now under threat of cyber attack)...

Like you I also must be an XP hardliner.   I use XP Professional (SP3) that has been updated through April of this year - note that MS is continuing selected monthly updates for a limited time.  Nonetheless, I am quite comfortable using XP with Firefox as my browser (it works with FamilySearch).

Although I have a Win 7 laptop with Office 2007, I prefer XP and Office 2003.  I find them much easier to configure - perhaps due to my familiarity with the older programs.  Possible one day a program I need will not work with XP, but until that happens XP is my OS of choice.

For secuity and peace of mind reasons, I also clone my entire hard drive weekly as a backup measure should something get by my firewall, AV, and Malware programs.  Doing that has saved me endless restoration hours - it only needs to happen once and it pays for itself to be back in operation in 5 min.

User since Family Origins 2.0, Now using RM 7.5...

#22 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

Thank you Renee for your response. My inexperience with RM6 showed in my post.

However I am feeling a little bit  paranoid here. I am a long time user of FTM 16 and was informed by FTM that the online functions of the program will be stopped at the end of July and that I needed to upgrade. The latest versions of FTM have had a bad press so I invested in RM6 only to find that, as a user of XP with its "old" IE version, I cannot access Family Search from within the program although the blurb for RM6 says that it is compatible. with XP (which itself is now under threat of cyber attack). I even tried a WIn 7 machine but too many of my old programs and hardware needed to be relaced. Are they out to get me or not?. I am 85 so they have left it a little late!

The WebSearch message is totally coming from FamilySearch, they require a version of IE that XP is unable to run and we have no control over that. The message to update your browser should not be preventing you from seeing the results. Just scroll to the bottom of the screen to view them.  The other option is to check the box to "use external browser" and then it will launch your default browser for you to view the results. 

If you use the separate File>FamilySearch Central to view the Family Tree you won't have any issues with browsers, etc. But, that doesn't look at the historical records that WebSearch will. 

Renee
RootsMagic