• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 JeffC

JeffC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

I can no longer use family search through the program.  I have all 3 major browsers and all are up to date with the exception of internet explorer.  I get this message 

Attention: This site does not support the current version of your web browser. To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or install another browser

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

Do you have the latest RootsMagic version 6.3.1.0 installed. Go to Help>About RootsMagic to find out.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 JeffC

JeffC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

No 6.3.0.6 I have not been notified about an update I will try that when i get home.  Will this fix it?

Jeff

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

The fix was in 6.3.0.6 so 6.3.1.0 won't make any difference. But, you still  need to stay current with updates.  Are you using a Windows XP computer?  FamilySearch requires a version of IE that doesn't work on Windows XP.  You do need at least IE 11 installed on your computer because it's using an internal browser component, so it makes no different which browser is your default browser.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 JeffC

JeffC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

Windows 7, Internet Explorer 11.09600.17041

Still does not work. 

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Then it has to be your IE settings. Check if you are in compatibility mode or not. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 trcrtc

trcrtc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Mine is not working either, I have the latest update.  IE, not sure where to find compatibility mode, but have not ever changed my settings.  I used to be able to do this.  Now it is not working.  I am really getting behind in being able to update all my information.  Please help!

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

On an IE screen, go to the Tools menu, then select Compatibility View Settings.  I'm not an expert, but I think this makes the newer versions of IE treat some webpages with older access techniques. I used to have to do this for the grading program that I used in my classroom.

#9 trcrtc

trcrtc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

Thanks!  That seems to have fixed the problem!

#10 bruckshaw

bruckshaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

I have just started using RM6 and I get the same message. If it is a Family Search issue why did I not get this message earlier today during my trial of RM Essentials  or when I now use Family Search direct? I am using Windows XP and Chrome.

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

RootsMagic uses IE to access Family Tree not the browser we have marked as default on our computer.

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

I have just started using RM6 and I get the same message. If it is a Family Search issue why did I not get this message earlier today during my trial of RM Essentials  or when I now use Family Search direct? I am using Windows XP and Chrome.

WebSearch is not available in RootsMagic Essentials. That is why you didn't get the message when viewing FamilySearch.org, because you couldn't attempt to. WebSearch is the only place you will get this message from FamilySearch. 

The FamilySearch Tools (File>FamilySearch Central) or clicking on the Family Tree icons next to a person names uses a totally different feature and you won't get this message. The FamilySearch Tools are available to use in RootsMagic Essentials and this is why you didn't get the message using them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

I found this topic interesting because I often use the FamilySearch website via my Firefox (v25) browser without any problem - searches and filters work just fine.

Yet, when I try to use FamilSearch via RM6's websearch feature (also with the same computer and browser used above) I get the "Attention: This site does not support the current version of your web browser..." message.

Same computer and browser FamilySearch works without a problem.  Yet using RM6's interface it will not work. 

But It's the very same browser - very strange...   :blink: 

PS, Using RM6.3.1.0

User since Family Origins 2.0, Now using RM 7.5...

#14 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

It is not the same browser.

When you access FamilySearch Family Tree directly online, you can use any browser you like includng the browser you have marked as your default browser on your computer.

When RootsMagic accesses FamilySearch Family Tree from within RootsMagic, it uses Windows Internet Explorer not your default browser.

It is telling you that you need to update Windows Internet Explorer to a later version.

In WebSearch.  If you don't mark the box to use your default browser, RootsMagic uses Windows Internet Explorer.

If you mark the box to use your default browser, RM opens your default browser online.

#15 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

@ Laura

I did not know that.  Thank you for the information.  I did check that box and it did work.  

It just shows that even after using this program from the Family Origins days, there is still something to learn... ;)

I wonder what would happen if one removed IE from their computer and tried to use websearch without checking that box?

#16 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

IE is not a separate program in Windows and can't be deleted.  IE is so integrated in Windows that Windows wouldn't work properly if you somehow did manage to delete IE.

You can disable it, but, then that can cause problems in Windows and, by extention, running programs in Windows.

And, since RootsMagic uses IE to access FamilySearch Family Tree, RM would not be able to connect with FamilyTree or in WebSearch when the use default browser is not checked.

I don't know if choosing to use your default browser in WebSearch would still work or not.  It depends on if other browsers use certain IE routines or use IE routines that Windows also uses in the rest of Windows that other browsers need to functione on a PC.

#17 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

Using my default (FireFox) browser as part of Websearch seems to work quite well.   

Since I do not choose to use IE, I'm not sure if there are any differences using it as compared to my default browser.  Nonethelesss, I'm able to search with no loss in function - that I'm aware of.

Thank you for the initial reply and follow-up information.

#18 bruckshaw

bruckshaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

Thank you Renee for your response. My inexperience with RM6 showed in my post.

However I am feeling a little bit  paranoid here. I am a long time user of FTM 16 and was informed by FTM that the online functions of the program will be stopped at the end of July and that I needed to upgrade. The latest versions of FTM have had a bad press so I invested in RM6 only to find that, as a user of XP with its "old" IE version, I cannot access Family Search from within the program although the blurb for RM6 says that it is compatible. with XP (which itself is now under threat of cyber attack). I even tried a WIn 7 machine but too many of my old programs and hardware needed to be relaced. Are they out to get me or not?. I am 85 so they have left it a little late!

#19 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

Programs can't support defunct versions, Windows versions and programs forever.

Users eventually have to update too.   <_<

#20 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

Laura said: "Users eventually have to update too."

Oh, yeah - I taught drafting for architecture and engineering for 24 years, and used over 40 different versions of CAD programs during that time. Not eventually - but continuously !!!