• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 J Elting

J Elting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

I am getting ready to go to a family reunion and the only computer around will be a Mac laptop. If I create a RootsMagic to Go thumbdrive on my Windows PC, will I be able to run it on the Mac laptop?

Jim Elting

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

No, it wont work, at least not without a Windows virtual machind running on the Mac and even then I'm unsure about running off the thumb drive. You might be successful creating a RootsMagic CD image and copy that to the thumb drive. That can include your pictures and the Mac knows how to work a CD image, even if it is not on an optical disc.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

If there is access to the Internet you could use RM's publish Online feature.  Make note of the url the Publish online files will be sent to and send the url to the person with the Mac.  Depending on how big your database is and how many media you have linked, you may or may not be able to include pictures.  You are allowed 2 accounts which are 50 MB each.  Note the path where RM saves the Publish Online files on your computer, you can save those files to a jumlp drive and run them from the drive or save them to the Mac.

I have used RM to create HTML files and saved those files to a jump drive and ran them on a Mac.  I don't remember about media in the HTML files.  You might need to save the media separately on the files so you can open the media file and view it separately.

Go to Tools, Internet in RM to create either type of web pages.

The jump drive must be compatible with Windows and Mac.