1 reply to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

Yesterday I received a gedcom from a fellow researcher and the Places mostly contained Place Details and absolutely no punctuation. The file wasn't so big (244 places) so I decided on using Gazetteer and Place Clean to clean things up.

Due to the lack of any punctuation PlaceClean understandably had little to work on but it was useful to manually edit the Place and split out the Place Detail.

Gazetteer was useful to identify the correct geographic notation but only populates the Standardized Place Name when you accept the match and does nothing to amend the Place field, nor can the Place field be edited/corrected at this point.

It occurred to me that some combination of both utilities would be productive, the option to paste the gazetteer match to the place field would be one useful option and the ability to clean and strip out the place and place details at this point would also be very useful.

See a crude mock up of a combination of an enhanced Gazetteer and PlaceClean functionality but maybe the Rootsmagician has something better up his sleeve.

places-match-and-clean.png

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic