• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 margaretdo

margaretdo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

It would be really useful to have a direct link from the Lists of Places and Addresses to the people and events that were there. Some but not enough of the information comes up when I ask for a Report but it would save me such a lot of time when I want to edit addresses etc. Have I missed something?

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

It would be really useful to have a direct link from the Lists of Places and Addresses to the people and events that were there. Some but not enough of the information comes up when I ask for a Report but it would save me such a lot of time when I want to edit addresses etc. Have I missed something?

I hope I understand your post correctly in that you would like to see those individuals associated with Place Details (Address). If so you have not missed anything as this is not easily achieved under the current build. To do so for a PLACE simply highlight the PLACE on the Place List and press the Print button, it's still a report but all Place Details within that Place will print.

I have wished for the same functionality (the Print button) to be introduced for Place Details, that was quite some time ago and my thoughts have moved on to a completely new Place Management UI. This happened after viewing how a rival program managed Place related data which you can find in my signature link.

Left hand pane - Places expandable to show Place Details
Center pane - Embedded Map from which you can lift geocoding information.
Right hand pane - Associated People for the highlighted Place expandable to show the actual events

My new wish is for something superior to this employing both Gazetteer and County Check suggestions which could be displayed in a footer panel.

I read somewhere that RM might be going through a complete re-write to facilitate the Mac version, if that is the case I can only hope this feature gets the make over it has been waiting for, any Mac users I know are very discerning people

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 margaretdo

margaretdo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Thank you both for your responses. When I first started entering people and places on RM, I didn't realise the ramifications and I made the mistake of occasionally entering other things like people's ages at that time in the place box. Now I want to click from that place on the List to go directly to the person to put the age (for example) in the right place. When I press Print on the Place List (thanks Vyger) and it comes up blank, I don't know whether to trust it or not! Even if I see it on the Unused Places List, I hesitate to trust it. If I could link from it to the person, I could check that I've amended the entry and then I'd happily delete it. I hope this makes sense to you, even if it wasn't a very clever thing to do. Now that I've retired I've got time to tidy things up.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:34 AM

Thank you both for your responses. When I first started entering people and places on RM, I didn't realise the ramifications and I made the mistake of occasionally entering other things like people's ages at that time in the place box.

Free text in the Place field is a very common occurrence and something I done myself when starting, just another box to put stuff in is what I thought :-).

When I press Print on the Place List (thanks Vyger) and it comes up blank, I don't know whether to trust it or not! Even if I see it on the Unused Places List, I hesitate to trust it.

I would trust it, I still do similar work from imported gedcom files and that is how I work.

If I could link from it to the person, I could check that I've amended the entry and then I'd happily delete it.

Both the main competitors of RM provide that direct linking to Associated People (facts) for editing, so you highlight the Place and you can double click any fact using it for edit. If it is a Place then just editing the and tidying the Place will affect all entries using it, if it is something like "12 years old when he died" then you can simply edit that specific entry.

This process is tiresome and more time consuming within RM due to the lack of this functionality and we can only hope the Rootsmagician recognizes that missing link and fixes it in the not too distant future.

Good luck on your tidy up work, it will be worth it in the end.

Edit: I feel I should add that whilst Rootsmagic is behind it's main two competitors in this functionality it is ahead on so many other fronts and is my overall favourite program.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 margaretdo

margaretdo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:57 AM

Thanks for your time! I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who has put extras in the place box and I really look forward to RM catching up with its competitors on this functionality! Meanwhile I'll get on with some more tidying up!

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

For now, you could use a Group to help you.

Print a Place list report using Print all places (including events).  Events will show you which fact needs to be changed.  Save the report to an rtf or text file and open it side by side with RootsMagic in Windows.

Color code using Red and Select people from a list.  On Mark group, Select people by data field using the ages in the report as part of the criteria.

Any fact, Place, contains, 19

OR Any fact, Place, contains 80

When the 6 criteria has been entered, click OK.  Click OK on the popup screen.  Mark group and enter the next 6 criteria.

Delete the ages from the report as you enter them in the criteria so you can keep up with where you are.

When color coding is finished, create a Group using Color coding is Red.

Open each person's Edit Person screen from the Group on the Sidebar and make corrections.

Change the person's color to a different color.

Edit the Group by unmarking Color coding is not Red.

You could also create the Group using the same criteria, but I found color coding worked best for me as I didn't have to reenter all that age criteria to unmark people.  I could just use Color coding is not Red to unmark people in the Group.  That is a factor when the changes can not be done at one time.

I tried using Any fact, Place, contains, 0 and OR Any fact, Place, contains, 1, etc., but I got people I didn't need, i.e. Census place contains District 11.

Use Unused places on the Place list to delete unused places after the corrections are made.

Create a new Play database and drag and drop everyone in your main database in to it.  Experiment with what works best for you before doing the work in the main database.

And, back up or copy your main database before you make any major changes to it.

#8 margaretdo

margaretdo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

Thanks, Laura - I'll try that when the sun goes down. I haven't used Group yet so that will be interesting. Thanks.