8 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:58 AM

I'm sure I have posted this before but just in case and in line with recent discussions/tips.

I would like the see the Geocoding is Blank and Geocoding Exists added to the find Criteria for Place and Place Details.

Any Fact > Place > Geocoding is Blank
Any Fact > Place Details > Geocoding is Blank

Maybe the Rootsmagician will find some other way to filter such entries for resolution in the next version of RM, that will work for me.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

By find criteria, do you mean add those choices to the search criteria on Select people and FInd?

As a search criteria, we woulld still have to open each person's Edit person screen and click on the button to the right of each place to open the Place list to check the geocoding for that Place and the Place details.

I would prefer it be handled on the Place list like Unused places are with buttons that brings up a list of Place and Place details without geocoding.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

The need is so great it warranted an interim SQLite query: Places without Geo-codes for Named Groups. In a large database, there is a need to focus on places that are used by the persons of priority interest - hence being able to find the non-geocoded places used by persons in a named group or by colour code.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

Laura is right about the issue this would cause in actually finding the place afterwards without the geocoding. To me it sounds like it would be a better use of development time to implement the wish as noted in the place list itself.

I would like more discussion on this enhancement before I add it to the tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

From Places without Geo-codes for Named Groups:

It is daunting to work through the Place List, finding Places and Place Details (sites) that need to be geo-coded (i.e., have latitude and longitude values entered) so that they can be readily mapped and their events included in the Place List report option "Print events near a place". The larger the database of persons and families, invariably the more places and sites and the bigger the challenge. RootsMagic features such as Color Coding and Named Groups help narrow the focus when working on the facts for people and families of primary interest but, as of version 6, do nothing for the Place List. A desirable enhancement would provide the option to filter the Place List to include only those places and sites used by events for persons and families in a given color code or named group. Moreover, other filters would be helpful, such as showing only those lacking coordinates, or containing some string in any of the fields, etc., i.e., something paralleling RM Explorer for people.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

Laura is right about the issue this would cause in actually finding the place afterwards without the geocoding. To me it sounds like it would be a better use of development time to implement the wish as noted in the place list itself.

I would like more discussion on this enhancement before I add it to the tracking system.

I also agree with Laura and my development goal for RM has been well publicized for some time at http://www.vyger.co....y-software.html

My reason for wishing for the very simple enhancement of adding that search criteria was that I would have expected it to be available sooner rather than later (small wish v big wish)

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Perhaps set it up similar to the Unused places list.

Have a button on the Place list screen, No geocode.

On the No geocode list, the Place would be in the left pane and could be edited if there is no geocoding.

In the Place detail, add a column for geocoding with the column for each Place detail checked if there is geocoding and unchecked if there isn't geocoding.

Highlight the unchecked Place detail and select the Place details button to edit the Place detail.

The column for geocoding for Place details should also be added to the main Place list screen. Then there would be a visual reference of which Place detsils need geocoded without having to edit each Place detail to look for geocoding.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

Isn't it already, at least as of Oct 22, 2013? http://forums.rootsm...e__hl__daunting

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

In the mean time...if you go to the Place List report and select:
Print all places in database
Print place details
Print latitude and longitude if entered

You can get a better visual idea on which places are missing the geocoding. I also added an enhancement request for an option on the Place List to "print places without geocoding".
Renee
RootsMagic