Photo

What Version of Android needed to run RootsMagic?

Android Version Rootsmagic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 goldster25847

goldster25847

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

I have an older tablet that is running Android version 2.0. Will RootsMagic run on this tablet?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

It works on my version 2.3.4 smartphone and my Kindle Fire 7" [Second generstion].

Have you tried the app on your tablet?

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

We do not know for sure all the versions of Android the RM App will work on. The app is free so I would suggest you try installing on the older versions to see if it does work.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 ccarruthers

ccarruthers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:26 PM

My Samsung Galaxy S phone has Android 2.3.6 (gingerbread) installed.  The RootsMagic app works fine.

I just got a Le Pan TC970 tablet with Android 2.2 (Froyo) installed.  The Google Play Store doesn't show the RootsMagic app when I browse for it from this device.  When I search Google for the app from this device, it leads me to the Play Store but displays the message, 'Your device isn't compatible with this version.' Unfortuanately my tablet's Android can't be upgraded.

I'm making the assumption that at least Ginderbread (2.3) is required.  Let me know if anyone finds a way to make 2.2 work.

#5 Ashen37

Ashen37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

I've just got a Kindle Fire HDX (8.9") and Amazon doesn't recognise it as compatible.

A 37

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

Go to

http://support.roots...n-on-my-Kindle-

Use the web link in the Knowledge Base article to download the RootsMagic app dirctlly to your Kindle Fire HDX.

#7 tink1945

tink1945

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

My friend is trying to d/l the Android App and it keeps freezing up her phone.  She is using a Samsung Galaxy Exhibit II with android 2.3.4.  She does not have a tablet or other computer.  Is there anything I can do  to help her?  I am trying to get her started in genealogy.  However getting a program on her phone seems to be the sticking point.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

If she's just getting started in genealogy then the app really isn't the way to go. That is because the RootsMagic app is read-only.

To add to or edit a database you need to use the full version. She can download RootsMagic Essentials the free version to her PC computer. It won't run on Android devices.  

Download RootsMagic Essentials 6  here - http://www.rootsmagic.com/Essentials/

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Without a large screen tablet or computer, the choices are pretty narrow. I don't have any Android devices but this article may be a good starting point: http://www.theguardi...ogy-laura-berry . It suggests tha Ancestry, My Heritage and TreeView/The Genealogist apps in combination with subscriptions. I use and am much impressed with the Ancestry app on my iPad but some functions open the browser on the Ancestry website, presumably because they are yet too complex for the app.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.