31 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

I plunged for a 1 day sale on this Dell Venue 8 Pro 32GB tablet justifying it to my better half that she could use it just like her Dell Inspiron 11" Windows 8.1 touchscreen notebook and I would be able to use it with RootsMagic when we are travelling! At $200 instead of $300, how could i resist...

As for my experience on it with RM, very early days. I think I will conclude that an active stylus is needed for touch (+$40), finger and conventional capacitive stylus being too coarse for the tiny controls in RM and, for that matter, many Windows desktop applications. The Metro apps I have used are well designed for touch. And I suspect I will conclude that a real keyboard is also essential for productive work in RM - the onscreen keyboard leaves little space for the application and there can be weird contention between the two at times. And maybe a mouse or touchpad would be a better pointer than a stylus when working with a real keyboard. Hmmm, it's beginning to sound like my wife's notebook but it is a premature conclusion - I'm still learning and have to shake loose habits from Windows 7 and my iPad that are incompatible with Win 8.1 and this smaller tablet.

[Dell Venue 8 Pro]

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

Posting to this forum using Chrome on this tablet is problematic.The keyboard overlays the bottom of the window so I cannot see all of it. Messages must be kept short or they will grow under the keypad and I cannot see what I am typing. I think Internet Explorer does better in this regard but fails on the link to the latest message in a topic; that was a factor that drove me to Chrome on my desktop.

Looking into syncing with my desktop RootsMagic database, I initially tried Microsoft's Skydrive, now Onedrive, as it was included. I set my backup folders in RM to the common Onedrive folder and that works okay but remembering to restore every time I launch RM and to backup every time I exit leaves me a little worried.

So I thought I might try pausing Onedrive while working on the database so the database file might reside in a Onedrive folder as Jerry and others do with Dropbox. Unfortunately, Onedrive has no pause control!

Then I installed Dropbox for desktop (there is a Metro version in the app store but it looks to be too limited). I was surprised to see in Task Manager just how heavy Dropbox is or can be - it consumed over 100MB of the 2GB RAM and pausing did not reduce its footprint. After exiting and restarting, it opened at around 70MB and at last check is sitting at 19MB.

Before that restart of Dropbox, I installed Google Drive which opened at about 65MB. Pausing immediately shed 5 and, eventually, even after resuming sync, it sits around 10MB.

Onedrive has the tiniest footprint, less than 2MB - pity, there is no pause/resume.

I have all three plus iCloud on my desktop but it has 8GB RAM. I should compare cpu loadings but, given that the RootsMagic iOS app only supports Dropbox which can be paused, I will give it a try.

I suppose I could put the database in Dropbox and the media and backups in one of the other sync drives if cloud capacity becomes an issue.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

On my Acer 10 inch screen tablet, I changed the Windows custom text size (DPI) to 140%. This is about as large as I can set it for my 10 inch screen.

Lowering the display resolution for the tablet a little might also help, but I didn't do that.

Within RM, I also changed the font tto one that prints larger and increased the font sizes for the Main screen, List and Note editor fonts at Tools, Program options, Display.

I don't know if any of this would work on other tablets.

I have small hands, but I can navigate around RM and use the virtual keyboard with my thumb or middle finger if I wish.

There is a little bit of a learning curve in getting used to navigating and and using the virual keyboard by touch also. Now I get frustrated using my husband's laptop which doesn't have touch.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2931 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Unfortunately, Onedrive has no pause control!

Yes, that's correct. Indeed, Onedrive has no controls at all. It's a hallmark Microsoft app - assume the user is an idiot and hide everything possible from the user. The user can't even tell which files have been synced and which not. Result: the user is flying blind. You can't see multiple versions of your files, you can't restore previous versions of your files, you can't choose which folders to sync to this computer, etc. All in all, it's an incredibly weak app.

Despite all that, I do use Onedrive to supplemen Dropbox. But obviously I have to sync manually from my Dropbox folder to my Onedrive folder. The only reason I bother is that it's impossible to have too much backup.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Another issue with cloud syncing on this 32 GB tablet is that all but 12 GB is consumed by Windows and Dell. After mistakenly installing MS Office Home Premium (apparently there was a correct way to get MS Office Home & Student, a Product Key included in the $200 tablet!), having it crash out of an Office update, having a blue screen of death (more black than blue) doing a Dell update, uninstalling the wrong Office, installing the right one, installing RootsMagic, Google Earth, Google Drive, DropBox and a few other smallish programs, I'm left with 6GB free. This is getting scary - once upon a time that was a lot! Given my quota of 15GB on Google Drive, 3GB on DropBox, 10 GB on OneDrive and 5 GB on iCloud, full syncing is a no-go for the SSD. Better I should have bought the 64GB tablet but, at the time, it was $150 more than the $200 sale on the 32GB one; the spread is normally $50 on list prices for the extra 32GB, but should result in around 40GB for additional programs and user files, a big jump over 12GB.

The good news is that these Windows tablets support microSD cards for extra storage. I popped in a 16GB one for $12 but the Dell supports up to 128GB, not yet widely available. 64GB is the sweet spot, at $50-$100, depending on speed. The 16GB card showed up as drive D. The bad news is that DropBox would not let me move the DropBox folder to a removable drive and Google Drive protested that the SD card was not NTFS. A little research turned up Reformat SD Card to NTFS. I used the CONVERT command line tool:
convert D: /FS:NTFS /X
and Google Drive was happy to oblige. DropBox still says nay. I haven't tried moving OneDrive or iCloud yet. The big risk is what may happen if the card is removed...

So now I'm thinking that Google Drive is the way to go for syncing RM and the media between the tablet and the desktop (notebook) but the local Google Drives are now on the D and the C drives respectively. That will break the media links between sessions alternating between each computer. So now I have to look into adding a D partition in the desktop or somehow mapping the SD D drive in the tablet to a virtual folder in C.

That leaves the RootsMagic iOS/Android app out in the cold because it is dependent on DropBox - maybe all I can do is have a batch file, launched via a shortcut, to copy the working .rmgc file from the Google Drive folder to the DropBox RootsMagic app folder and remember to run it before going away with the iPad. But, maybe I should take the Dell tablet instead, with the full RootsMagic application and all the media files! But that rests on being able to effectively use RootsMagic on this small screen and I'm not there yet.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

On my Acer 10 inch screen tablet, I changed the Windows custom text size (DPI) to 140%. This is about as large as I can set it for my 10 inch screen.

Lowering the display resolution for the tablet a little might also help, but I didn't do that.

Within RM, I also changed the font to one that prints larger and increased the font sizes for the Main screen, List and Note editor fonts at Tools, Program options, Display.

Thanks for those tips, Laura. I revisited the Windows text size having set it to 125% as that was the only other radiobutton in the dialog, without apparent benefit. But now I discovered the fine print and bumped it up to 200% (big change) and backed off to 150%. Unfortunately, on some RM dialog windows, controls are pushed outside the frame and are inaccessible. So back down to 125%...

Lowering the display resolution merely shrank the screen so worse off.

Within RM, I had already settled on Segoe UI (12 point) for Main and Note Editor and made List 8 point, just readable but keeps the sidebar narrow, which is especially needed in portrait mode, the only practical way I have found to work with RM and the virtual keyboard on the screen at the same time.

Speaking of keyboards, the default on-screen keyboard has no Alt key - a real handicap working with RootsMagic - nor function keys, needed for my SQLite managers. The full Windows on-screen keyboard has them but there are so many keys they are squeezed to the point of requiring the $40 active stylus to touch them with accuracy.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

I have my Acer tablet locked in landscape mode. It is also 32GB.

I have my main database on the tablet hard drive and my RM media and other databases and all other data files on the SD card.

The only file I have in the Dropbox folder on the tablet to sync to Dropbox is my main database in the Apps, RootsMagic folder. You can choose which folders and maybe which files to sync for each computer in Dropbox. I am not sure how it is done because my son in law set it up for me, and I haven't needed to figure it out yet.

I use my main database from a folder under C: drive and copy it to the Dropbox folder to sync with Dropbox. This means my main database is on the hard drive twice, but it is handier than uploading it to Dropbox on the online site.

I don't use Microsoft Office. I use LibreOfficePortable on the SD drive. Check out PortableApps.com for many other portable apps to use from SD cards, jump drives, etc. or you can save and use them from the tablet hard drive. There are some SQLlite portable programs on that site, although I don't know if one of them would be what you need.

You might check out the virtual keyboard on PortableApps.com. I don't remember if it has an Alt. Key and Fn key. I used to use it saved to my laptop. My Acer Windows 7 pro tablet virtual keyboard has an Alt key and an Fn key.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for describing your setup and the useful resources. Maybe the topic should be changed to "Working with Windows tablets" since our issues have more to do with Windows, touch interface, sync, and the RootsMagic user interface design on small screens.

Keyboard: some good news. There is an optional keyboard layout having function and Alt keys available for the default keyboard app which gives a choice of four layouts - the default small screen keyboard, a split keyboard for thumb typing (landscape only), this Fn/Alt keyboard (disabled until user enables) and handwriting or stylus pad. This Fn/Alt keyboard is a subset of the full Windows onscreen keyboard, designed for small screens, albeit still very dense for finger keying. It is enabled via Start > Settings > Change PC Settings > PC and devices > Typing > under Touch keyboard, turn on "Add the standard keyboard as a touch..."

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

So now I'm thinking that Google Drive is the way to go for syncing RM and the media between the tablet and the desktop (notebook) but the local Google Drives are now on the D and the C drives respectively. That will break the media links between sessions alternating between each computer. So now I have to look into adding a D partition in the desktop or somehow mapping the SD D drive in the tablet to a virtual folder in C.
I just completed rearranging my desktop notebook and Windows 8 tablet so that RootsMagic data and media are synchronised via Google Drive in my 15GB free quota in the cloud. This page was a big help: How to use Windows 8, RT Apps, Libraries and Removable Media. On my tablet, I created a folder C:\SD and using Disk Manager, mapped my NTFS converted microSD drive D to that empty folder. That means that a file in the microSD card can be accessed either as D:\filepath\filename or as C:\SD\filepath\filename.

Then I set up Google Drive on the SD card - if already set up somewhere else, you click on the taskbar icon, select Preferences and disconnect from Google Drive. When you log back in, you have to set up Google Drive again, using the Advanced Settings option that appears at the bottom of about the fourth slide to point to the folder you want to be Google Drive - I created a Google Drive folder under the root of the SD card. GD will then download all the files and folders from your Google Drive cloud storage to the new folder.

On my desktop computer, I created a folder C:\SD and Google Drive folder under that as above. In my Google Drive folder, I created two folders: "genealogy" and under that "media". I moved my RootsMagic media into the "media" folder and things started syncing up to the cloud and down to the tablet. Meanwhile, I opened the database and used Search and Replace on Multimedia filenames to fix the now broken media links, so that they pointed to all the files now under "C:\SD\genealogy\media". Closed and backed up and then moved the .rmgc database file to "C:\SD\genealogy".

When syncing was complete, I opened the database file on the tablet and the media links were intact. :) That;s because the filepaths are identical on both the desktop and the tablet, thanks to being able to map the SD card as drive D to a folder on the C drive.

:huh: However, I'm a little puzzled by differences in the file count between the two synchronised "media" folders, both consuming ~3.4GB among 58 folders and some 1300 files. The file counts differ by 20 or so. I have compared directory listings and the only things missing seem to be picasa.ini files and mxfilerelatedcache.mxc2 files, but these are in the tablet, not in the originating desktop, and I have on the tablet neither Picasa nor the Magix Photo Manager that would generate them.

There are a couple of other operational mysteries I am exploring and will report on later.

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

I just resized the virtual keyboard with the keyboard open. I think I had done it before and forgotten it. I don't have the keyboard docked so I can move it around.

There are also choices that can be made from the Tools menu on the keyboard screen, like Docking.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

...and Google Drive was happy to oblige. DropBox still says nay. I haven't tried moving OneDrive or iCloud yet...

OneDrive/SkyDrive moved onto the microSD card in the tablet (Windows 8.1) and in the laptop (Windows 7) into the C:\SD folder. It's two different procedures - in Win 8.1, there is a Move function. In Windows 7, you have to unlink OneDrive and set it up again, overriding the default path. Set RM's backup folder path to the new path via C:\SD\OneDrive..., the .rmgc file synced over Google Drive, and both the laptop RM and the tablet RM now backup via the same path spec to the synchronised OneDrive folder. I like the idea of keeping the backup in a different cloud...

Now if I could only figure out how to get DropBox onto the removable drive...

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

I have my Acer tablet locked in landscape mode. It is also 32GB.

The Venue 8 Pro screen resolution is 1280X800 and the physical dimensions of the visible desktop are 173mm x 107mm, i.e., an actual aspect ratio of 1.61, i.e., close to 16 x 10, thus landscape mode is pretty hard to work in when the keyboard is onscreen. Would that it were 4x3, which is maybe the aspect ratio of your Acer tablet or have the extra size and extra 640H, 280W pixels of the Dell 11" tablet.

I think there are RootsMagic screens that require at least 1080 pixels in width because they don't work properly in 800. I find that I have to rotate from portrait mode to landscape to access some controls. Unlike many other apps, RM does not resize properly on rotation so you have to do it manually. If I am lucky that there is a hot key or accelerator key for the control and if I remember it, I might be able to avoid the hassle of rotating.

i have a cheap bluetooth keyboard I bought for my iPad - tried to pair it with the Windows tablet but unsuccessful so far. If it worked, then keyboard contention with RM for the screen could be resolved, but then I might just as well have bought a second Dell Inspiron 11.6" notebook with Win 8.1 touch like I got for my wife when it was on sale for $300. It would be almost as portable and without the issues of storage and screen space.

#13 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Now if I could only figure out how to get DropBox onto the removable drive...

I didn't check or ask if you have Micro USB Flash Drive capability, but perhaps (untried by me):

DropboxPortableAHK
http://nionsoftware....dbpahk/overview

Found via this older article:
How to Run Dropbox From a Portable USB Drive
http://www.guidingte...able-usb-drive/

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

DropboxPortableAHK
http://nionsoftware....dbpahk/overview

Thanks for the tip, Kevin. I had a look at it and thought it would be ultimately an unsatisfactory solution because the developer is fighting automatic updating of DropBox because his solution needs it left unencrypted. Sounds like his solution is stalled in an old version of the DropBox client. That led me to search for other insights, resulting in this interesting page: Micro SD card appear as a real drive to install DropBox etc. Looking over that, the steps involved seemed rather scary but I did twig to the need to include the microSD drive in Windows Indexing so I did that.

Then I went back to DropBox and tried moving it again - this time no protest! I copied the latest RM database file into the DropBox\Apps\RootsMagic folder in the Windows tablet, checked into the RootsMagic app on my iPad which synced and I was able to see my new granddaughter with picture that I had added to the database this morning while waiting for my car to be serviced. :D

So now I have DropBox, GoogleDrive and OneDrive/SkyDrive resident on my microSD card and all appearing to work normally.

This hasn't freed up much on the C drive because I did not have a lot of user files in it, still around 6GB plus 11GB on the microSD. I'll have to worry about how to replace the 16GB microSD with a 64GB one down the road but I should probably live with this for a while and see how things go. I should probably look at moving some Program Files over to the SD card - MS Office is perhaps the big one.

#15 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

I've reached my quota of positive votes for the day ( *WINK* ,'o) ...but NICE find!

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

I just completed rearranging my desktop notebook and Windows 8 tablet so that RootsMagic data and media are synchronised via Google Drive in my 15GB free quota in the cloud. ...

There are a couple of other operational mysteries I am exploring and will report on later.

1. When I started syncing my nearly 4GB media folder in Google Drive, I interrupted it (I think using Pause) and then resumed - except it didn't. It reported sync complete but it was less than 10% complete. Pause/Resume made no difference. I cannot remember if I Quit Google Drive and restarted it; that probably would have resumed sync but what I did was to move the media folder out of Google Drive with it running and then moving it back in. I have not had a problem since with small scale additions, edits and deletions.

2. Also early on, and I do not remember the sequence but I had been using RootsMagic on both ends and ended up with an extra file at both ends with the same name but suffixed "[Conflict]". I resolved by inspecting timestamps and deleting on the website.

As I have not been using any of the sync programs in this mirrored manner, I cannot say whether one is better than another at maintaining sync and avoiding ambiguities.

#17 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

Field tested RootsMagic on the Dell Venue 8 Pro today - not wowed by my configuration with the database file on the microSD card, nor with Google Drive nor with my productivity. I hung out on a MacDonald's WiFi for an hour while waiting for the better half and worked on cleaning up the Place List.

1. I forgot to pause Google Drive and discovered it was syncing three files, not one - two syncs of the database file and one of a journal file. The journal file is written by RootsMagic's SQLite engine when it executes a transaction that changes the database; if the transaction fails, SQLite reads the journal file to roll back to the state at the beginning of the transaction. The journal file is deleted on successful completion of transaction or rollback and has but a fleeting existence in a fast system. Should sync have resulted in a computer having both the database file incorporating the successful transaction AND the journal file still in existence, I'm not sure what would happen - possibly, the SQLite engine on next opening the database would roll it back because it also detects the journal. Anyway, that reinforced the lesson that working on the RootsMagic database in an active sync folder is folly - the sync utility (whether Google Drive, DropBox...) will chase itself silly trying to keep up.

2. The microSD drive is slow compared to the internal SSD. Mine is a Class 10 card, meaning that it is supposed to read and write at a minimum of 10MB/s. I found a little speed test utility called Speedout which reported 19MB/s read and 14MB/s write, which does not sound too bad. My database file is 5.64MB so you would think it would write in under 1/2 second (5.6/14). But I observed almost 5 seconds between OKing a change and being allowed to continue editing. On the SSD, it was more like 1 second. So there is a lot more than the speed class or speed test score affecting real world performance. Which begs the question whether the highest speed microSD cards (now pushing 95MB/s from SanDisk) will make much of a difference. Maybe the better strategy is to move the database off the microSD card to the SSD for working and then move it back on and into the sync folder when finished. That might also result in a check-out, check-in functionality to prevent concurrent editing of the database on synced computers...

3. Productivity with RootsMagic on the tablet was really poor, apart from the time delays. Continually battling between RM's windows and the onscreen keyboard, having to move one or the other or turn the keyboard off to access a control. It was absolutely necessary to work in landscape mode to access all the buttons in the Place List window. I'm sure the buttons could be set to scale with the window size very easily - others have complained in the past about truncations of messages or buttons because of larger Windows text - the two issues are related. Renee, another appeal for the UI to be made less rigid and more adaptable to various screen sizes and interface technology. I tried to get access to the Data Clean (beta) tool but could not find a way to drag it into the toolbar - what's the touch equivalent of left-click, hold, drag'n'drop?

4. When I opened up my laptop-desktop at home, I was dismayed to find that it still showed yesterday's database in the Google Drive folder and GD reported that sync was complete. Once again, there was no way to tell it to resync, short of quitting GD and restarting. So now I am beginning to think that quitting GD may become my normal practice, only starting it when I want to sync with the cloud. Seems to me that DropBox is a little smarter in this regard.

I will keep plugging away at it in the hope that my skills will improve and I can tune up the system and procedures to be somewhat better but it sure seems like an uphill battle!

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

microSD speed - I'm not getting the same results today that I had at MacDonald's. Instead of about 5 seconds after an edit, I'm seeing 2, maybe 3 seconds, which is tolerable. I tested the same file on the SSD and confirmed that it is faster - about 1 second for an edit to be saved. And I tried the same file in a folder outside of Google Drive but on the microSD card and there was no difference between it and the one within, with Google Drive paused. A Find Everywhere that took 7-8 secs on the SSD was about the same on the microSD. So maybe the CPU was busy doing something at Macs that it was not at home. I even compared times with and without the charger attached, in case there was a power management thing but no difference.

So, maybe this particular microSD card is not so slow as to be intolerable but I would certainly look for a higher rating for its future, larger replacement.

I wonder if a RAM drive would be even faster than the SSD...?

#19 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5743 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

Field tested RootsMagic on the Dell Venue 8 Pro today -... I tried to get access to the Data Clean (beta) tool but could not find a way to drag it into the toolbar - what's the touch equivalent of left-click, hold, drag'n'drop?

I have retried and retried and concluded that it is impossible to customise the Toolbar using Windows Touch UI without a mouse or, perhaps, an active stylus. I tried with finger touch, capacitive stylus and bluetooth keyboard - nada. So a workaround I came up with was to copy the RMToolbar.ini from my desktop computer, found in C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\RootsMagic\Version 6 and copy it over the same file in the Windows tablet at (guess where?) C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\RootsMagic\Version 6. Now I have the identical toolbars on both computers.

I wonder about syncing the Toolbar, the custom spelling dictionary and the user data between computers... That would be RMSpell.adu, RMSpell.ini, RMToolbar.ini, and RootsMagicUser.xml. But that might be more trouble than it's worth...

#20 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

TomH said: " I forgot to pause Google Drive and discovered it was syncing three files, not one - two syncs of the database file and one of a journal file."

What I'm wondering is: is it possible to write a DOS-level batch file that will pause DropBox and/or Google Drive before running RootsMagic, and then resuming sync operations automatically when RM shuts down?