• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sandykp

sandykp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

When I imported to RM6, I think it asked me if I wanted to import the numbers from the old program. I said yes. So on each person is a REF number. I now want to delete them and I don't know how. Is there a way to delete them and how. Thanks for any guidance.
Sandy

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3460 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:12 AM

The numbers it was asking you if you want to keep were Record numbes that were automatically assigned to each new person by the previous program. If you had said no, RootsMagic would have then automatically assgned a new Record number to each person.

Record numbers cannot be deleted by the user as that is the number the program uses to keep track of that person in the database.

A Reference number is a fact and is linked to a person's record by the user and anything the user wishes can be entered into the description field of the fact. The Reference number fact cannot be deleted from the program. It can be unlinked in each person's Edit person screen to delete it from that person's record.

On the Tools, File options screen there is a drop down menu on the right side where you can choose to display the Record number or Reference number on the main screen and in reports.

Other choices are None or FamilySearch ID which is the ID number assigned to a person on the FamilySearch Family Tree online site which a number added to a person's record when matching their record with a person on FamilySearch Family Tree.

You can choose None if you do not want Record numbers to show on the main screen and in reports.

Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3839 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

A batch deletion of Ref Number facts can be done outside RM using a simple SQLite query.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 sandykp

sandykp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thank you Tom for reply; I don't understand sqlite!!!! I have looked at it but just don't get it.
Thank you Laura...... The Reference number fact cannot be deleted from the program. It can be unlinked in each person's Edit person screen to delete it from that person's record That doesn't make sense to me. I did look at it in the reference number from the program I imported from my gedcom. I looked in the tools and my LDS numbers is not checked. Is there a way to make it not appear in my edit person screen? I could not find anything else in the Files section to uncheck the numbers!!!! I think maybe when you print there is an option to not include it, but not on the edit person screen. Is there another explanation how to get it out of my edit person screen?
Thanks all!

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3460 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

I am not sure I understand what you mean by Ref#. The number you are seeing maybe the Record number.

Go to Tools at the top of the screen and clixk on it to open the menu. Click on File options at the bottom of the menu.

Look in the box under Number to display after name.

Does it say Record number (RIN)? RIN stands for Record Identification Number.

If it doesn't say that, let me know what it says.

To choose not to show numbers on the screens or report, open the Number to display after name menu and choose None. This is global. No numbers will display on any screen including the Edit person screen or on any reports.
Laura

"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
-on various web sites-

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4309 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

To remove the Reference No. fact from everyone in the database.

1. Go to Lists>Fact Type List.
2. Highlight the Reference No. fact
3. Click Edit
4. Uncheck the box under "Include when: Exporting GEDCOM files"
5. Click OK

Create a new blank database
Drag n Drop everyone from your database into that new database.

Now all the Reference No. facts will be gone. If you need help with a drag n drop you can watch the video below.

Using Drag and Drop in RootsMagic

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

Renee, thanks for those steps. That's helpful before importing, but what about AFTER importing?

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3839 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

Renee's advice applies to any database. If you are willing to lose other stuff that is lost by drag'n'drop, you can deliberately lose every instance of a fact type using Renee's instructions.

If you cannot afford the collateral damage, see my previous answer and click on the link in my signature, if you are adventuresome. A SQLite query can delete the fact from everyone that has it without losing anything else.

RM has no global fact delete capability. If the REF# fact values have some consistent and unique coding in them (I have a series all beginning with "HLAF" which does not occur in plain language), you could use Search > Find Everywhere and click on each hyperlink to get to each instance and delete it. This, too, avoids the DnD collateral losses. You will have to judge whether you want to embark on a SQLite learning curve or the manual effort of deleting one at a time.

Edit: I meant to add that if your REF# values do not have a searchable key, you could use Search > Person List or create a Named Group using the criterion Reference No > Exists > Is True and step through the results within RM Explorer or by selecting the Group in the sidebar. Another approach without using search criteria is to customise People View to show Reference No in a column and click on the header to sort those with values to the top or bottom and step through them one at a time to edit.

Edited by TomH, 02 April 2014 - 09:12 AM.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3460 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

If you create a Group of people with Reference numbers, you can filter the People screen by the Group. Only the people in the Group who have Reference numbers will be listed on the People screen.

If you are working with a Group from the Sidebar, use the Timeline main view and edit or delete the Reference number from that view where you don't need to open the Edit person screen. I unmark Options for facts for Spouses, Children, Parents, and Siblings to be shown on this view as my default.
Laura

-on various web sites-