• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zeegal

zeegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

I am a newbie. Until today, I have focused just on entering names, dates, etc. As part of the massive data I have "inherited", there are several old typewritten letters and narratives that I have scanned and converted to Word documents through MS Office's Document Imaging software. Today I looked for a means to have these Word documents print through the scrapbook. In looking for a solution on the Forum I think I saw a comment that suggested that only images can be printed from RM. If so, what would be the purpose of linking media into RM that can't be printed and, does anyone have a suggestion as to an easy way to combine this type information with that available from RM. I was hoping to tie everything together for each person and print. Thank you.

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Several years ago I created a new fact type called "Letter."

Role: Principal
Sentence template: [Person] wrote a letter [Date] [PlaceDetails] [Place] to [Desc].
I enabled the following:

1] Date field [When was the letter written]
2] Place field [Where was the letter written]
3] Description field [Name of the person written to]

I did a copy&paste of transcribed Word documents into the [Note] field.

It seems to work well. If you have many letters and want to save paper on a specific report, just go to Lists>Fact Types>Letter and change the [Yes/No] setting for the specific type of report. Or change the option in report printing to not print notes. But that covers all notes, not just letters.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

I am not familar with that program. Does it scan the document as an image file, i.e. jpg file, and convert to a Word document using OCR? If so, and you saved and kept the image files, link the image file in RM to print in the scrapbook.

Google for doc to jpg or text to jpg to find programs that will convert the files to jpg image files. There seems to also be a way t do it from within Word depending on the version of Word.

We can link non-image media in RM so we don't have to remember that we have a file somewhere on our hard drive that relates to whatever we are searching at the time. And we can open the file and read it from the third party program that handles that type of file from within RM. If a non-image file needs to be printed, it can be printed from the third party program.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Today I looked for a means to have these Word documents print through the scrapbook. In looking for a solution on the Forum I think I saw a comment that suggested that only images can be printed from RM. If so, what would be the purpose of linking media into RM that can't be printed and, does anyone have a suggestion as to an easy way to combine this type information with that available from RM.

My example is that I primarily tag images to sources in RM, and I really don't expect to be able to print such images from within RM. I can view such images from within RM with an external viewer that opens in a non-modal window. If I'm printing such images, I prefer to print them from outside of RM. Indeed, I enter such images into RM as files instead of images even for filetypes supported by RM to be sure that the files open from within RM with an external viewer that opens in a non-modal window.

Also, I have lots of files that are not image files that are tagged to sources in RM - sound files, video files, gpx files, txt files, rtf files, pdf files, docx files, eml files, etc. They can also be opened from within RM with an external "viewer" that opens in a non-modal file. The "viewer" is the program that is associated with the filetype in Windows.

Jerry

#5 zeegal

zeegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:44 AM

Thank you for your responses. Creating a fact called "letter" seems like a good solution for those letters that I don't want to retain specific formatting for. I found a review of the MS Office Imaging software when I was looking to purchase an OCR program. Other alternatives were expensive, this was free, so I thought I would give it a try. You have to download it and install it, but for straight typing it is 95-98% accurate. The software requires you to scan using a document image .tff file, which averages to be about 29 meg, so I delete those monsters once I convert them. Once scanned step 1 is to OCR it, then step to passes it over to Word. From there I could create a .pdf, then run through Photoshop to convert the .pdf to .jpg. And, yes, I could scan and retain as an original .jpg, but the images are a bit hard to read. Another big reason I wanted to make them Word documents, was just less storage space. Not as big a factor, though,now that I understand RM isn't storing the images from within. Thank you for explaining the organizational benefit of linking everything. All good thoughts. Jacque

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: media, reports