• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rogergbh

rogergbh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

I'm looking to move the gedcom and media files to a website. I used the Sharable CD function to consolidate all the media (which was in different folders). The Sharable CD location put all the media in a folder called Pictures (which is what I wanted) but unfortunately some pictures had the same name (like Scan_00034.jpg). What happened was all the files which had duplicate names were then re-named with a (2) appended (like Scan_00034(2).jpg) and they lost the connection to the original person they belonged to. So now I have two people with the same picture (Scan_00034.jpg) and the appended file name doesn't belong to anyone. It also appears that the metadata (caption etc.) for the person who had what should now be Scan_00034(2).jpg has been overwritten by the caption for Scan_00034.jpg - a totally different person!?!

Needless to say the fault is poor naming convention at the import of media but I have to say the way in which Roots Magics has renamed and lost the metadata is disturbing. Is there another way I should have done this? Am I stuck with manually going over every entry (2000) and relinking?

If this is a bug then so be it. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks,

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

Only the RM developers can say whether this is a bug or whether it's a "working as designed" situation. I would probably characterize it as "broken as designed".

When the Shareable CD feature first came out, I was very distressed to discover that it doesn't retain my folder structure when it is making the CD. But that's the way it works. What I have done in self defense is to make some pretty drastic changes in my naming conventions for media. I don't store them all in the same folder, but I store them in many fewer folders than I used to. And I name them in such a way that even if they are all stored in the same folder, the file name itself has more information in it than it used to have and there are no duplicate file names.

I don't think this issue is emphasized enough in RM documentation - Help files, Webinars, etc. The same issue can really mess things up even if you are not making a Sharable CD. That's because the whole Media Gallery infrastructure essentially uses the unqualifed file name as a unique key for each file. By "unqualified" I mean that RM pays no attention to which folder a file is in or anything else about your folder structure when it figures out which files are unique - like when it is figuring out how to do things like "fix broken links". It only goes by the file name. So the bottom lines is, name your media files as if they were all in the same folder.

The (2) and (3) type of file name suffixes you are seeing are kind of a Windows thing, I think. It's sort of a way to do file versioning. But I've never seen any good documentation on how it's supposed to work. So i don't know if it's strictly a Windows thing of if it's something that an application program has to support. I had done enough testing to realize that the Shareable CD feature used the Windows file name versioning to deal with duplicate file names, but I didn't realize that when the duplicate file names and versioning occurred there would be loss of captioning and other metadata. So that's a good catch on your part.

Jerry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3699 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

I wonder if this result might be post-fixed by a SQLite query. It would depend on the order in which files having the same name are copied following the order in which they appear in the MultimediaTable or some other predictable and consistent pattern. The name suffix is predictable so it might be as simple as revising the filenames in that table. But "simple" may be an exaggeration; an iterative procedure in a high level language might be required.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4166 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

This is working as designed. Ideally you should never name files on your computer the same name with the same extension. If you combine the contents of any two folders on your computer you are going to experience the same thing. If you go to Lists>Media Gallery and sort by list you can view the file names and see if you have any duplicate names.

There are software programs you can install on your computer that will help you search for duplicate filenames. I can't think of names off the top of my head so you will need to Google that.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Ideally you should never name files on your computer the same name with the same extension.

I respectfully beg to differ. There are lots of excellent reasons for having files on my computer with the same name and extension. A really simple example is to make a copy all the contents a folder, with one of the copies becoming a backup of the other before some changes are made to one of the folders. Another really simple example is in software development where identically named files might exist in a development folder, in a test folder, and in a production folder. In the case of some of my genealogy images, I might have a folder with original images and a second folder with all the same images with the same filename and extension in a more compressed format for publishing to the Web (more compressed for faster downloads). The possibilities are practically endless.

Jerry

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

If you had used the data file from the sharable CD the (2) and (3) files would have been used in the proper places.

The reason there are (2) and (3) files on the sharable CD is that the original files had the same name but were in different folders.
You said you wanted them all in one folder so they have to do something to distinguish between the files of the same name.
Alfred

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:00 AM

Ideally you should never name NON-IDENTICAL files on your computer the same name with the same extension.

FIXED THAT FOR YOU, RENEE ,'o)

I respectfully beg to differ. There are lots of excellent reasons for having files on my computer with the same name and extension. A really simple example is to make a copy all the contents a folder, with one of the copies becoming a backup of the other before some changes are made to one of the folders. Another really simple example is in software development where identically named files might exist in a development folder, in a test folder, and in a production folder. In the case of some of my genealogy images, I might have a folder with original images and a second folder with all the same images with the same filename and extension in a more compressed format for publishing to the Web (more compressed for faster downloads). The possibilities are practically endless.

Jerry

--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4166 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

Thanks! That's exactly what I meant.
Renee