• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LeeHollenbeck

LeeHollenbeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

I very much like RootsMagic and how I can use named groups, select people by data fields, custom reports, and color-coding to organize and clarify my research.

Wish Wish Wish ideas

3) Save a Search for People to Include by datafields -- not the results of the search, but the search itself. After carefully selecting the fields and qualifiers to turn up the desired recordset, it would be nice if I could save the query for when I use it, or a slight variation, again, and again, and again. There should be opportunity to edit the saved search.

4) Save a Select People Sequence. Groups are not dynamic in RootsMagic, and I am Very okay with that. The Select people window is very powerful for creating a list of people. It would be nice if macros for selecting a list of people could be created. This way, after people have been created and edited, an updated list could be easily created.

5) Save a Color Scheme. Similar to above, but it is a series of colors applied to different lists of people.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3421 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

There has been a lot of previous discussion on this topic, see some of which below. However your post with fresh eyes shows how desirable and required such functionality is for users, one could almost describe it as logical.

http://forums.rootsm...dynamic groups"

http://forums.rootsm...dynamic groups"

http://forums.rootsm...ups/#entry37517

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

In the mean time, because I often forget what criteria I used to create a group, I have started to keep track of them in my To-Do List. It's getting big enough I should probably add them as one research log. Then I can "print" the list and work from it.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3590 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

In the mean time, because I often forget what criteria I used to create a group, I have started to keep track of them in my To-Do List. It's getting big enough I should probably add them as one research log.

Well, you are way better than me if you only "often" forget what criteria you used to create a group. I "always" forget the criteria. :)

Actually, I have attacked the problem a different way, but it's surely not as good as using the To-Do list or the Research Log. If I can't remember what a group is for, I just delete it. I never have more than three or four groups at a time. i used to have forty or fifty groups at a time, and that was completely unmanageable. Sometimes I have to create a group not too long after I might have deleted it. But even if I had an elaborate procedure to keep up with group criteria, in the absence of Dynamic Groups I have to reapply the criteria manually anyway.

Finally, I can't help but note that your repurposing of the Research Log in this manner is yet another example of how the Research Log seems to work a great deal better than the To-Do list. And as always I can't really explain why the Research Log works so much better for me than does the To-Do list. It just does.

Jerry

#5 LeeHollenbeck

LeeHollenbeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

Wow, great ideas around what is wished for with color-coding, groups, and queries here and http://forums.rootsmagic.com/index.php?/topic/13517-color-coding-snapshot/ . It is especially interesting hearing what people are trying to accomplish, and, after several years of working with this program’s queries, groups, and color-coding facilities, how.

I should have caught earlier, especially in previous posts from Laura, that groups could be made from the color-coding. While this is an excellent useful feature in the current program, and I sure I’ll be taking much advantage of it, something more or different is needed.

Since I do not have a large database, I have no real empiric sense of what would cause congestion, or what actions would take a hideously long time, but this does seem to be an elephant to work around -- that and keeping the interface simple, intuitive, flexible, and powerful.

There is much to absorb from this and the previous discussions from 2009, 2010 and 2012.

Still considering work on sources a priority over this,

Lee Ann

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

I include the search filters used in the Name of the Group, i.e. Name [+ Mark filters - Unmark filters]. This works fine for Groups that have not been deleted. But, I delete Groups for projects that I have finished.

As Renee suggests, a Research log to refer to for previous searches you will want to do again for other Groups would work for me although I haven't created one yet.

Every user has their own choices of what should be the priorities for changes to RM. Right now mine would be Groups and Research logs because that is what I am working most with. It might change tomorrow. :)