• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LeeHollenbeck

LeeHollenbeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

I very much like RootsMagic and how I can use named groups, select people by data fields, custom reports, and color-coding to organize and clarify my research.

Wish Wish Wish ideas

2.) Save a snapshot of the color-coding. Allow to name, delete, and restore the color-coding snapshot.

Since I like to use color coding for more than one type of view for the data, it would be nice if I could save a Snapshot of the color-coding. Yes, I can make a copy of the database and apply different color-coding to that database, but I would not want to make changes I wish to save in the duplicate database.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3988 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Maybe you should amplify this so we can understand it. You can currently create a named group from a colour-coding (a snapshot of the colour-coding?) and you can colour-code a named group.(restore the color-coding snapshot?). You can delete a named group (delete a colour-coding snapshot?). You can also clear a colour for a named group. Is there something else you have in mind?
Tom
user of RM7000 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1350 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

Just to further amplify what Tom said, you can color code from a group and you can make a group from a color coding. That gives you the ability to use a group to make a snapshot of your color coding and subsequently to restore the color coding from your snapshot. The ability to color code from a group is a relatively new feature, and it's a wonderful new feature that for some reason seems not to be much discussed. So if those features meet your need, then everything you need is already there.

However, the thing that's still missing is that the criteria used to create a color coding in the first place are not remembered and the criteria used to create a group in the first place are not remembered. So for example if you make a group or a color coding that's all the descendants of John Doe and if you add a new descendant of John Doe to the database, then the new descendant is not in the group or color coding. If that's the feature you need, then the feature does not yet exist even though it has been much requested.

The ability to remember criteria for creating a group and to reapply the criteria is usually called Dynamic Groups. So another way to say the same thing is that Dynamic Groups do not yet exist and they have been much requested.

Jerry

#4 LeeHollenbeck

LeeHollenbeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:51 AM

This might not belong on the wish lists forum, but how in the world do you create a named group from a color coding. Is this something really obvious I am missing? I really cannot find this. I do not see it in help, or the interface, and if it is in the forums, it is hiding from me.

To clarify, snapshot of the colors would be just that , I think Tom creates a table for a snapshot? It is that idea - just a record of the color of each person in the database. When the color snapshot is restored, perhaps there should be a very prominent option giving the choice of clearing or retaining the current color for new persons in the database.

A group is okay for something simple, something binary, but if several colors are being used for some project, saving and restoring the project would be very tedious, as I understand it. It would be a hassle to change to a different project. Even If there were all sorts of saved queries and macros for automatically recreating the color scheme, the user might consider saving a snapshot a better option in some situations. That macro might take some considerable computer muscle. Perhaps this is a misunderstanding.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3988 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

In RM Explorer, under Mark/Unmark Group and Find, there is the choice "Select people by data fields" or words to that effect and one of the fields is Color code.

A group created from a colour code is a snapshot. If new or other people are subsequently colour-coded, applying a colour to the group will not affect them. If members of the group are colour coded differently after the group is created, applying a colour to the group will set all members the same.

In that sense, the current named group system is a static snapshot. What many have been pushing for is a dynamic group feature which would add the ability to store and recall the queries (macros, if you will) and static marks so that the group can be refreshed on the click of a control.
Tom
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

You could do a backup or a GEDCOM of the file with each color combination.
Be sure to change the name of the the database to represent the colors before backing up or GEDCOM so you will know what to restore or import.
I don't think you would want a restore to overwrite the current copy of the data.
Alfred

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

To use Color coding for a filter anywhere you can Select from a list to filter a Group, report, etc., select Color code is [color desired]. Color code is on the list you can choose from as filters.

I put the filters I used in the name of a Group, i. e. Name [+ filters used to Mark - filters used to Unmark]

I have created a Group and used that Group to color code the people in the Group Red. After I opened a person's Edit person screen and edited it, I changed the person's color code to another color to show I had made the change. To edit the Group, I can Unmark the color code for the people I had made the changes to. If I do this in my main database where I have people permanently color coded, I put the main screen on Timeline where I can see my user defined fact, ! Color, which has the person's permanent color in the description of the fact. I then change the person to that color after making the changes. To edit the Group, I Unmark Color Code is not Red.

Right now, I have a project where I am marking people by filters and making changes I can't filter for so I am also using the same filters in Find on the Select Group screen, manually unmark the person I edited, and use Next to go to the other person on the Edit Group screen and not using color coding.

I usually create a Group, check the Group to make sure I have chosen the right filters to give me the results I am looking for and use the Group to change the Color coding instead of Color coding and then creating the Group from the Color code.

I have 3 or 4 projects I am working on right now managed by Groups and I am not using color coding as part of that management. Since Groups were added to RM, Groups are the way I manage projects and Color coding can sometimes be helpful for managing the people within the Group for a visual aid.

I would like to be able to change the color coding of a person from the Select Group screen.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4487 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

I would like to be able to change the color coding of a person from the Select Group screen.

I will add that as an enhancement request but I think I need some more details on this first.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

Perhaps, a Color Code button to the right of Individual information in the right pane or after Record at the top of the select Group screen would open the Color code screen as the Edit person button opens the Edit person screen. The highlighted person would work the same as highlighting a person on a main screen and opening the Color code screen.

The Color Code button after Record would probably be my preference, but new users might not realize that they need to highlight the person they want to Color Code for on the Select Group screen first and Color code for the wrong person.

Laura

"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
-on various web sites-

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3988 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

I think you mean the Select People screen launched from the New and Edit buttons of the Named Groups dialog. Logically, the same Color-coding control should be in RootsMagic Explorer, launched from the Search > Person List (Ctrl+F). Select People and RootsMagic Explorer are essentially the same windows.

Edit: that's in keeping with requests for a flatter user interface. If Select People and RootsMagic Explorer were non-modal windows, then Color-coding would still be accessible via the main menu and there would be no need for the added control. Of course there might be other complications...

Edited by TomH, 25 March 2014 - 12:42 PM.

Tom

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

You are right, the label does say Select people for that screen now. I didn't have RM open to check and was thinking the label when accessing that screen from a Group had been changed to Select Group.
Laura

-on various web sites-

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4487 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

So I don't mess this up, can you rewrite exactly what you wanted with the correct labels. Then I will put it in the tracking system. My brain isn't working to well today. :rolleyes:
Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

I would like to be able to change color coding from the Select People screen and the RootsMagic Explorer screen (as Tom suggested)..

Perhaps, a Color Code button to the right of Individual information in the right pane or after Record at the top of the Select people screen would open the Color code feature as the Edit person button opens the Edit person screen. The highlighted person would work the same as highlighting a person on a main screen and opening the Color code screen.

The Color Code button after Record would probably be my preference, but new users might not realize that they need to highlight the person they want to Color Code for on the Select people screen before Color coding and Color code for the wrong person. So putting a Color code button on the Individual Information line might be best.

I would like it if opening RootsMagic Explorer (Find) gave us the same choices for filtering as the Select people screen instead of just the Select people by data fields options. Essentially, opening RootsMagic (Find) would open the Select people screen.
Laura

-on various web sites-

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4487 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Thanks! Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic