• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LeeHollenbeck

LeeHollenbeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

I very much like RootsMagic and how I can use named groups, select people by data fields, custom reports, and color-coding to organize and clarify my research.

Wish Wish Wish ideas

1.) Make it quicker to add (and, perhaps, delete) a person to a named group.
a) Drag people from the Navagation View to the group displayed in the sidebar when a group is displayed in the sidebar (it would also be nice if people could also be deleted directly from the group sidebar.) Maybe have on the group sidebar the +, -, and Go buttons found on the bookmarks sidebar.
B) Add an item: “Groups>” to the pop-up shortcut menu for the people in the navigation views. The expanded menu could show the list of user-defined groups, and clicking on the group would add the person to the group. It would be even niftier if the expanded menu would indicate with a + or - whether the person could be added to or deleted from the group.
c) Hot-key to pull up a window with a list of named groups and allow the highlighted person to be added to the group. Again, it would be even niftier if the list indicated whether a person could be either added to or deleted from a group.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3423 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Nice thinking, anything which improves the management of Named Groups gets my vote.

Way back in RM4 development Named Groups were to be Dynamic, unfortunately the Rootsmagician had to "temporarily" remove that functionality before release, I would just hope he still has it in his bottom drawer somewhere.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

Very nice - similar to Contacts Groups in Gmail...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8471 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic