4 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

The only real side by side comparison within Rootsmagic is the Duplicate Search Merge screen, the next best option being the People view which is not nearly as informative.

One of my problems with Duplicate Search Merge is the number of possible matches which can be returned especially when the year span is increased on larger databases, the start with surname was a useful addition but this utility could be a lot more helpful.

I would like to see the addition of functionality to allow for Duplicate Search Merge to make comparisons only within a Named Group, this would allow much more flexibility and improve this feature.

A Named Group might be all individuals whose surname sound like Smith and Given name contains John, it might be further tailored to include those where any fact place contains Pennsylvania.

This would allow widening of date spans and a good side by side comparison feature to reconcile and merge duplicates.

I would also like to reiterate my wish that the Rootsmagician adds the columns to show the existance of Notes, Sources and Media to the DSM comparison screen to more mirror the look of the Edit Person screen.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

I totally understand your frustration. But instead of your particular suggestion, I would renew my wish for a Named Group to be able to become sort of a virtual database, where the only individuals that you as the user see are the individuals in the Named Group. With such a facility in place, it would take care of limiting every single aspect of RM - GEDCOM export, Duplicate Search/Merge, Pedigree View, Family View, every View, Dataclean beta, Problem List, etc. The RootsMagician then would not have to add subsetting capabilities in so many different places in the program.

Jerry

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:20 AM

I totally understand your frustration. But instead of your particular suggestion, I would renew my wish for a Named Group to be able to become sort of a virtual database, where the only individuals that you as the user see are the individuals in the Named Group.

This would achieve exactly the same thing so gets my vote.

I also posted similar some years ago when I decided to bring all my different data sets together to eliminate crossover and duplication, this also allowed the core RM components to be worked towards a standardized format. It made perfect sense to me to bite that bullet and have all information available to me within one database but, of course, it exacerbated the problem of managing a larger database.

Named Groups provided some help but within a Named Group I would dearly like a side by side comparison facility for "like" individuals and that would also lead to the desire for a Merge facility, hence my likening it to the existing Duplicate Search Merge.

On the same subject I would like to see the addition of a visual indication of the existence of Notes, Sources, Media on that screen, in other words mirroring the Edit Person screen layout and add the facility on that comparison screen to de-select facts PRIOR to Merge, in other words DROP lesser quality facts. At present I perform the Merge and immediately click on the previous "Merged" record and then Edit to clean it up. I did think that the Edit Person screen should automatically open once a Merge is done, whilst this would be the time to clean up that Merge and prevent duplication it would undoubtedly annoy some users.

The DSM utility is very useful and much needed but as data sets get larger it really does need enhancement to maintain it's usefulness IMO. A link to the revised DSM screen look I was advocating is below and, of course, is up for discussion.

http://www.vyger.co....reen-mockup.png

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

On the same subject I would like to see the addition of a visual indication of the existence of Notes, Sources, Media on that screen, in other words mirroring the Edit Person screen layout and add the facility on that comparison screen to de-select facts PRIOR to Merge, in other words DROP lesser quality facts. At present I perform the Merge and immediately click on the previous "Merged" record and then Edit to clean it up. I did think that the Edit Person screen should automatically open once a Merge is done, whilst this would be the time to clean up that Merge and prevent duplication it would undoubtedly annoy some users.

This is a variation on the theme of my wish to be able simply to replace one duplicate person with another with no merging taking place at all. Your suggestion is of course much more nuanced and flexible than mine. The way I would picture this working is that I would export some GEDCOM, then either I or a trusted colleague would work on it, and finally I would reimport it replacing (not merging) what's in my database with the work that was done external to my database.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8527 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dsm, duplicate, merge