• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 liddellag

liddellag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

Please provide a means to associate names and alternate names with specific facts.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3557 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Please provide a means to associate names and alternate names with specific facts.

Maybe it's just me but this seems a bit vague.

Could you explain using a real example for what it is that you are suggesting.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0.3, Rootsmagic 7.6.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8792 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

You can use the sort date on the alternate name fact so it appears in the same time frame as a event. Allowing it will print out in the correct sequence.

I also put the name a person was known by in the Detail Text of the Source Citation. That way I know how this person was listed on the document so it can be found again. I will also use the note field of the event itself to show the name they were known by. There are many ways to place a name next to the event inside of RootsMagic. If you wanted something more specific then let me know.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 CherylCh

CherylCh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

What I would like to see (and I think this may be what the OP means) is the ability to use an alternate name in narratives.  It's true that women are always listed using their maiden names in charts like pedigrees and family group sheets.  In narratives, however, it should be possible to use a name that's correct with respect to the event described and the source cited.  When Nancy Aveline Rogers appeared in the 1870 Census for Cherokee County, NC it was as Nancy Ammons.  When Jane Doe marries Richard Roe and later marries Thomas Toe, the marriage record is most likely going to say that Jane Roe married Thomas Toe.  And when she dies, the name in her obituary and on her tombstone is going to be something like Mrs. Thomas Toe or Jane Toe, not Jane Doe.

If you look at some of the narratives at http://www.bcgcertif...orksamples.html you will see women referred to by their married names.  So I don't think it's possible to argue that "women are always referred to by their maiden names in genealogical reports" although I have seen people claim that to be the case in these forums.

#5 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

I already requested this feature in http://forums.rootsm...i-use-every-day

No answer yet.

Regards

Helmut

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1697 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:28 AM

I cover this issue in a census sentence as in the <[desc]> part of the census, stating age and name, spelling especially as it appears on that particular census or another type of record.  You may have to look at the fact in the fact list to active the [desc] for use in the sentence.  I also make sure it is stated in the Research Notes of the citation so that it shows that I have documented this when I do the Research Notes report. Notes do not show in the Research Notes report.

My personal goal is to have the research notes cover all the Notes [with added information] and information in sentences [desc]. Then besides the Family Group Sheet or Individual Summary, every bit of information is covered and can be used for analysis in the Report/List/Research Reports/Research/Research Notes. .  In the Narrative Report, in the settings for Sources: I check the option to have the research notes in the report. There are other options in the Options box also..  Which is new for me as to choices.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#7 CherylCh

CherylCh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

I'm a little nervous about putting a lot of text in the [Desc] field because I've seen suggestions in these forums that there's a maximum character restriction, but no one seems to be entirely sure what the limit is or when it applies.  I'm intrigued, though, by your use of the research notes.  I'm very new to RM and I'll have to think about how I can best use them.

After poking around on these message boards for ideas, I'm experimenting with the 1850 through 1870 census fact types (I have one per census).  The sentence template is very bare bones.  Almost all the data is going into the Note field for the tag.  The only real problem I have with this is that even if narrative reports are set to print the note after the fact sentence, the footnote goes after the fact sentence, not after the note.  It would be really nice to have an option to put the footnote after the note when notes are selected under Options.

#8 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1697 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

CherylCh

see this link  http://forums.rootsm...er-census-year/, this is the way I do census records.  I changed all the Source Templates for each census year to have a section for Source details like roll numbers, page #'s, SD & ED etc. so that it would print in the footnotes.  Which change for each record..Take a look at it. 

Yes currently there has been a discussion on how much space there is in <[desc]>. My decision is to only use age, which is usually different that what RM says, name spellings and relationships, in that field. I Keep IT SIMPLE.  

Then, I keep the rest of them in the Research Notes/text box instead.  In my Source templates roll #'s, information from the header of each census record are in the Source details section. Date on the header of the Census Record is the date used for the census fact.

Like Jerry, I watch how it reports in the Narrative Report to see how I enter data and what to change. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8792 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

RootsMagic has no character limit in the description field. GEDCOMs limit is about 100 characters in the description field. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

RootsMagic has no character limit in the description field. GEDCOMs limit is about 100 characters in the description field.

RootsMagic truncates at 100 character on import from GEDCOM; I have repeatedly sought the removal of that restriction. It also does so on drag'n'drop. GEDCOM itself does not necessarily constrain the tag value; it might be surmised that it is 248 characters based on a 255 char line length less the level, space, 4-char tag name, space but line length is not constrained by GEDCOM to any particular length. There might also be the use of CONT and CONC tags to extend the value even more.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 altenbernd

altenbernd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

I too would like to be able to use the alternate name in narratives.  If each fact defaulted to the primary name, but allowed for use to choose any alternate name listed for this person, that would be great.  The narratives would then read with the name that person used at the time of that event without having to customize each sentence to make it happen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Names, Facts