9 replies to this topic

#1 yud

yud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

Hi,

New to RM and could not find the answer to this.

Is there a way to print charts in non-latin languages?

I have a tree with 1000 ppl in it. One branch of 1 family is having a renunion, for which I need to print a chart. So I exported this family only to a new database (190 ppl) and started editing the names to appear in RM in Hebrew. However, when I print wall charts or hourglass charts I get all the characters in gibberish.

Is there a way around it? I really need the printed chart to be in Hebrew.

Any help will be appreciated.

Y.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

http://www.petri.co....n-windows-7.htm

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 yud

yud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for your reply.
I already see the Hebrew character on the screen and can type in Hebrew on my Win7 machine.
Are you saying that if I run RM on a machine with different language in the user interface my reports will print properly?
If so, this is brilliant!

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

I jumped to my answer conclusion based on the seeming obvious need to <PRINT> Hebrew characters and am assuming a Hebrew <FONT> would facilitate that. Perhaps, that link will not be of benefit. I do not know? Can't hurt, especially as long as you can keep the default input language as English in the step where it's mentioned.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

The RootsMagic Charting program that produces Wall Charts does not support Unicoding. It will not support the Hebrew language characters so I don't believe any adjustments can be made. This is a part of the program that will be fixed with the rewrite of RootsMagic in prep for the Mac version.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 yud

yud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

The RootsMagic Charting program that produces Wall Charts does not support Unicoding. It will not support the Hebrew language characters so I don't believe any adjustments can be made. This is a part of the program that will be fixed with the rewrite of RootsMagic in prep for the Mac version.

Thank you for your reply.

Although Unicode is not supported I found a way to get it to work:

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 but with the Hebrew UI. (not just the input method but the entire UI).
All names have been re-typed in Hebrew.
Wall chart and other reports are now displaying Hebrew characters insted of gibberish.

So I guess until RM will support Unicode the only way to achieve printing in non-latin languages is to use an OS with a matching UI.

Y.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

Thank you for sharing that.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 yud

yud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

No worries...
Now, unrelated to the topic in this thread:
How do you set the wall chart to display metric measurments rather than imperial? My system settings is Metric but wall chart is showing inches.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

There is no metric support in RMCharts (nor RootsMagic)

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 yud

yud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

There is no metric support in RMCharts (nor RootsMagic)

Thanks!
So RootsMagic is yet another company who never heard that there is a whole world outside the US???
^_^