Photo

Bug: Geocoding does only work if Windows regional and language options are set to "English"

Geocoding Mapping places GeoCode Longitude Latitude Places

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

We are talking of different things now

I reported that the existing Geocoding/Mapping funcionality works only if the Windows region and language options are set to "English" and does not work with many other Windows language settings. I think that depends on whether a language uses a decimal point (e.g. 40.165418N, 111.610817W) or a decimal comma (e.g. 40,165418N, 111,610817W).

In my opinion the complete existing functionality should work with every Windows configuration. Therefore I consider this as a bug.

The translation of the program itself is a completely different story. That is clearly a program enhancement.

Regards 

Reinhard

#22 JoopvB

JoopvB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:50 AM

Last post was september 2014; it's now may 2015.

I think we all agree that the geocode mapping with any non-English setting does not work (as is very easily verified by just changing the setting Renee; you don't need another windows!). Since it is nowhere (not in the help etc.) stated that this should only work in an English environment, the conclusion is clear: IT A BUG.

In mean time there have been some updates to the product; but it's still not working - so where is the fix? Or at least some clarification why is it not handled up until now (8 months later).

Regards, Joop

#23 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

In mean time there have been some updates to the product; but it's still not working - so where is the fix? Or at least some clarification why is it not handled up until now (8 months later).

Save yourself some anxiety, Renee has been PRETTY CLEAR that any change will NOT take place AT LEAST until the Mac rewrite is completed (IF THEN).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#24 JoopvB

JoopvB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

Hi Kevin,

Genealogist are never in a hurry, their view of time scales in years as compared to normal people (= days)  :D

But, even in view of this eternal truth... this is not a "change", but it is a BUG fix for an existing product and I would think that is something completely different. Especially since it hampers all non-English users from accessing an important part/feature of the product (all place related functionality that has to do with "geo").

So, this was just my 8 month reminder of the existence of the bug. I just hope I don't have to post my next one in January 2016.  :unsure:

Regards, Joop

#25 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:15 AM

Hi,

has this bug already been solved in RM7?

I can't check by myself, because I still have RM6 and I won't buy RM7 until the complete functionality of RM works with my Windows settings.

This issue has raised 3 times by different users... I think there is some interest of your customers to get it solved....

Please don't concentrate on new functionality (Ancestry API,...) only but also on getting your existing functionality bug-free!

Regards,

Reinhard

#26 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

I am not sure if the fixed made in 7.2.3.0 when using international version of Windows with FamilySearch has resolved the Geocoding using a deciminal comma issue. You can download the free Essential version and test it to find out.

Renee
RootsMagic

#27 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:07 AM

Hi Renee,

thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, geocoding is locked in the Essential version.

Regards 

Reinhard

#28 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:57 AM

The geocoding bug was tested. It does not work in the latest version of RM.  :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Geocoding, Mapping, places, GeoCode, Longitude, Latitude, Places