Photo

Bug: Geocoding does only work if Windows regional and language options are set to "English"

Geocoding Mapping places GeoCode Longitude Latitude Places

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

Hi,

Geocoding doesn't work for my places.
Although all places had been geocoded before the red needles are not shown when I choose the mapping function.

When I enter a "Edit Place" window, the fields for longitude and latitude are highlighted with pale red. After closing the "Edit Place" window by clicking "ok", the values for longitude and latitude have disappeared.

What's wrong?

Regards,
Reinhard

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2959 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

When I enter a "Edit Place" window, the fields for longitude and latitude are highlighted with pale red. After closing the "Edit Place" window by clicking "ok", the values for longitude and latitude have disappeared.

If they are highlighted with pale red they are not a recognized format for Rootsmagic, What I would do is click the GEOCODE button when in the Edit Place window and let Rootsmagic sort it out.

Any Places RM cannot resolve will be thrown up in the Gazetteer for your manual selection.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

Vyger, thank you for your reply.

I did click the "Geocode" button, but after I close the window the data is lost.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2959 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

I did click the "Geocode" button, but after I close the window the data is lost.

I should have opened RM first, I was referring to the Geocode button on the top bar of the Place List window and not the Edit Place individual button.

I'm not sure how this has happened as I can't get RM to accept "non recognized" data in both latitude and longitude boxes. Was this something that just happened or just noticed, were the red needles showing up in RM Mapping and then suddenly stopped?

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Root

#5 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

I tried both buttons.
And, whether RM found the coordinates itself or I enter the coordinates manually, they get lost in both cases....

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2959 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:32 AM

I'm afraid I am at a loss for what might be happening, if it ever worked properly for you I would try re-installing.

Oh, and run all the database tools available under the File Menu just to rule and corruption out.

Root

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5536 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:55 AM

What is the computer operating system?

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:01 AM

What is the computer operating system?

Windows XP

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5536 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

Regional and language settings? What is your decimal position indicator, period or comma? Try US English and period...

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

Hi Tom,

thanks for your reply. You are right! I changed the Windows regional and language options from "German (Germany)" to "English (United States)" and it worked. Well, not really satisfying...

Reinhard

#11 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hi,

Geocoding/mapping does only work if Windows regional and language options are set to "English"
I changed the Windows regional and language options from "German (Germany)" to "English (United States)" and it worked.

I am not keen on changing my regional and language options every time I work with RootsMagic.
Please fix this bug.

Regards,
Reinhard

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

Confirming issue noted in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5536 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Whatever happened to the stated goal of multilingual support?

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

We support multilingual or uni-coding, but the translation of the program is probably what you're referring to. We are waiting for the rewrite that will include the Mac version of RM to happen first before translation begins.

The Geocoding issue without US Windows settings is probably a bug.
Renee
RootsMagic

#15 JoopvB

JoopvB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

Hi Renee,

The geocode for place detail in a non US Windows environment doesn't work. I would kindly suggest to remove the word probably in your answer of March 13 and add it to the bug list (with as far as I am concerned considerable priority :)).

Regards, Joop

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

The only reason I use probably is because if it was a designed to work a specific way and its not, then it's a bug. If it was not designed to support something then it goes on the enhancement request list.The big problem we have over here is we only use the US English version of Windows. We need to get other copies of Windows to develop to and test some of these issues.  I'm not sure what category that "problem" goes under. I put it under a bug but it may not be one. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#17 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

....The big problem we have over here is we only use the US English version of Windows. We need to get other copies of Windows to develop to and test some of these issues. ... 

Renee,

to change the regional settings

• for Windows 7 and Windows 8 go to "Control Panel" and then "Clock, Language, and Region"

• for Windows XP go to "Control Panel" and then "Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options"

best regards,

Reinhard

#18 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2959 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:58 AM

Hi Renee,

The geocode for place detail in a non US Windows environment doesn't work.

Works in the UK & Ireland, what is your Country

Root

#19 Thomas-W

Thomas-W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:42 AM

We support multilingual or uni-coding, but the translation of the program is probably what you're referring to. We are waiting for the rewrite that will include the Mac version of RM to happen first before translation begins.

Hello Renee,

is there a timeline when the rewrite for Mac version should be finished? You also have announced to write a direct import from TMG. Because TMG is used in many languages, it would be very good to have RM translated. So many users can migrate their TMG data to RM and use it in their native language.Is there also an expected date, when translation of RM will be finished?

Regards,

Thomas

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

No time frames for releases to be reported. That's because people get mad when we set dates and then can't meet them on time.  The update with TMG direct import would have already been released by now if we didn't keep finding bugs to fix.  I'm sure people would much rather have something that works then something thrown out there to meet a deadline.

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Geocoding, Mapping, places, GeoCode, Longitude, Latitude, Places