• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 URABUS

URABUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:33 AM

I have a problem with Media. An individual person's Medi Album shows 38 items. Using "Tools" and "Rearrange Media Items" the "Rearrange Media" window shows only 2 items under "Caption" and "File Name".
How can this e? When I check "Scrapbook all 38 items are shown. No items indicate any broken media links. I have version 6 RM.
Can anyone help a non-techhead!
Thank you
Les

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

Check if any of the ones missing from the list happen to be media attached to shared events.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

When we open the Media Album for a person, it shows the thumbnails for all Media albums for the person, family, and facts and the drop down menu ahows All media.

If I select Tools, rearrange media, when All media is selected, that list shows only the media linked to the person's Media album and rearranges only the media linked to the person. I can also choose General media to see only the thumbnails for the General Media album for media linked to the person and rearrange that media.

To rearrange the media for facts and families, select a fact or family from the menu and rearrange the Media Album for that fact and family.

#4 URABUS

URABUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:14 PM

Thank you Renee & Laura for your prompt responses. I am very confused.
None of the 36 media items missing from the list are media attached to shared events. They relate to this particular individual.
When I add media items to a person's Media Album they are added to the individual and not "shared", some individual items from my hard drive are obviously saved to a number of different people.
A check of other individuals indicates that the problem is not isolated to the individual person I originally quoted.
The 38 items in the Media album are saved as individual items not shared, they all appear when selecting All Media for that individual. When General media is chosen only 2 items appear, the same 2 that appear in the Rearrange Media window. The vast majority of these 38 items are very specifically relating to that one person.
All I want to do is to rearrange the order of the media items for any individual, precisely what I thought the function of the Rearrange Media function was to provide.
It is extremely frustrating, any help would be appreciated.
Les

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

So you have 2 media linked to the person.

Highlight each thumbnail and look in the right pane to see where that media is linked. A media linked to the person will have the person's name. A media linked to a fact will have the fact. A media linked to their family or their parents's family will have both the spouses names.

When you link a media to a person, fact, etc. In a person's record, a seperate Media album is created for the media linked to a person, each fact and the person's family for each spouse.

With the General Media album open, and the dropdown menu at All media, thumbnails for all media in all Media albums for the person and their parent's family Media album are shown. This lets us see and work on media for all the media linked to the record from one place if we wish without having to go to each individual fact, etc.

But since you are in the General Media Album for media linked to the person, only that Media album is actually open, and you can only rearrange the General media.

To rearrange other Media Albums, select that fact, etc. from the dropdown menu and the Media album for that fact, etc. will open, and you can then rearrange just the media for that fact, etc.

You can't rearrange all the thumbnails showing with the menu on All media because all the Media albums are not open.

#6 stanleyscribe

stanleyscribe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

I have seen this problem in my media also. So far the only solution I've found, is disconnect all media and reattach in the order you want them. A real pain to do.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Open any Media Album and choose Tools, Rearrange media items. This rearranges the media that is linked to that media album.