Photo

RM6 ToGo w/FamSearch enabled - Sync w/Main PC?

RM6 ToGo Family Search Sync RM6 ToGo with FS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fyrftrbel

fyrftrbel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Just finished watching the Webinar for Enabeling Family Search. I'm currently away from home and would like to enable the FS option on RM6 ToGo. My concern is that I won't be able to update the file on my home computer (RM6) with the FS changes. Has anyone done this yet? Thanks.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6283 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

There is no reason why you cannot update the Home computer when you get back and use RM To Go to transfer the stick file to the base computer. However, there is no mechanism in place to synchronise remotely. You can use manual techniques to transmit your stick file to your home computer - email, FTP, cloud storage (eg DropBox, OneDrive, iCloud, Google Drive but there are caveats).

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 fyrftrbel

fyrftrbel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Tom. Planned on waiting to plug the stick in after getting home. I just didn't want to have any changes to the database lost from the "togo" when I transfer/update the Home PC's RM6 file.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

You can switch the FamilySearch features on an off in the program and it won't effect the FamilySeach ID stored internally on the person. The FamilySearch ID is needed to associate your RM person to a person on Family Tree from within the program. So don't worry about anything not transferring when you open your database away from your main computer. The only way you would "loose" the FamilySearch ID is to GEDCOM your RM database into a program that doesn't support those features and then GEDCOM out of it back into RootsMagic.
Renee
RootsMagic