• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 georgeastroud

georgeastroud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

I have installed the Roots Magic android app on my phone, and loaded my database into DropBox (folder named RootsMagic under a folder named Apps). I can see were DropBox has downloaded the database to my phone. After opening the Roots Magic app on the phone, I select File as instructed. A grey window with a green bar at the top (saying RootsMagic) appears, but no database is listed. And, yes, I downloaded the .rmgc version of the database. What have I done wrong?

#2 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

You may not be waiting long enough for the file to be downloaded from Dropbox to your device.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8295 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

Has it appeared for you by now?
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 georgeastroud

georgeastroud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

No, it has not appeared. The database appears to have been downloaded to my phone a long time ago. Regardless whether I select "On Device" or "Dropbox" within RootsMagic, no file(s) appear.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8295 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Please open a support ticket and send us a backup of the database you are loading to the device. We need a backup (RMGB) even though the app only uses the database file (RMGC). That is because database files are not stable when sent through email. We will test then if the file will load on our device. Also let us know what Android phone you are using.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 georgeastroud

georgeastroud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

Thank you, Renee. I have just submitted the request as you suggested. It is request # 41623. Please let me know if you need anything further from me.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8295 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Found it and just replied to your ticket.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 kiamichi

kiamichi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

What is ment when it says "add database to dropbox"? Do I copy and paste the whole rootsmagic folder into dropbox? Or just a backup file? 

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

Neither. It's the file with the extension .rmgc that you copy to your Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic folder. If you have the latest version of RM (6.3.1.0), use File > Save to DropBox

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 CanyonHiker17

CanyonHiker17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

What was the solution that helped the original poster of this thread?  I am having the same issue.  I have installed the app on my Samsung S4 and I too get nothing but the grey screen when trying to open my file.  If I go to dropbox and select the xxx.rmgb file to see if it opens that way, I get a message that says "Can't open xxx.rmgb.  Please download an app that can open this file."  Everything is synced properly etc.  And when I back up my database on the computer to dropbox, it does save it as xxx.rgmb file.  I have waited a while for all the info to download to the phone too, I downloaded the app yesterday and it's still not working today.  Also, I don't even get that refresh button on the top corner of the page as noted in the instructions.

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8295 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

The RM App won't read a backup (RMGB) file. The backup option to Dropbox is just another way to store your backup in the cloud. 

The app needs a database file (RMGC). Use File>Save to Dropbox for Apps and it will copy the database file to the correct location to use it on the app. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 CanyonHiker17

CanyonHiker17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Thanks Renee.  I had tried to do that, saving it to dropbox via the menu item on the PC program, but was using the backup menu instead of the save-for-apps menu.

#13 AllenS

AllenS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for this discussion.

I had only had the 'b' database in Dropbox and couldn't figure out why nothing was working. Now that the 'save to dropbox for apps' has been pointed out it all works rather nicely.

Either I missed that instruction somewhere, or it wasn't made very clear -- either way, I now have the 'c' version where it belongs.

I'm using the LG G3 and it works quite well -- except it only works in portrait, and not in landscape for a wider view (always something! Never satisfied!).

Thank you for this app.

Allen

#14 DonaldP

DonaldP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

The instructions for downloading the initial file to Dropbox leave a lot to be desired.  I followed your instructions exactly, many times.  It was only when I read in this column about saving the file via the file menu  that it became clear following the instructions that the install of the database DOES NOT WORK unless you first save from the menu, not with the normal "back-up" RMGB file!  I spent 2 hours figuring out something that could have been done in 2 minutes.  Please let everyone know how to save the file so it is in the RMGC version of the database!

Thanks