• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tekingits

tekingits

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:33 AM

I would like to be able to search the LDS familysearch.org web sight and compare and updage my file from within rootsmagic.

#2 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:02 AM

Click on Search on the top of the tool bar, click on Internet Search, then click on FamilySerach.

#3 tekingits

tekingits

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 12:14 PM

It pulls up the web page, but is there an easy way to download the info into roots magic, or do I have to dowload as a gedcom?

#4 toallen

toallen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:35 PM

Gedcom is the way. There is a program called PAF Insight (marketed by Ohana software) that works with a PAF database and will search the IGI at Familysearch.org. This allows you to update your PAF file by clicking on a button if you find any information that you want to add to your records. I tried it at a Family History Center last week and was impressed with how easy it was to search the IGI and add information to my data.

As far as I know, this is is the only program, at this point, that allows you to update your records directly at Familyserch.org. Others claim they are working on a similar function but I don't know of anyone that has something like that.

If you download a gedcom (It works very well with RM) load it to a new file so you can check the data carefully. RM, with its drag and drop capability, makes it easy to add to your database.

#5 tekingits

tekingits

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 07:07 PM

I have PAF Insight, and have used it, thats why I added that request to the wish list.

#6 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 07:57 PM

Try this one for now:

http://myweb.cableon...ilysearcher.htm

It will read a GEDCOM from RM and let you search for those folks in the IGI (among others). You can update the ordinances for individuals, and then have the program create a .OUP file that you can import back into RM to update the temple ordinances in RM.

The only extra step is that after FamilySearcher creates the .OUP file, you need to edit the .OUP file and change the second line from:

1 SOUR FamilySearcher

to

1 SOUR TEMPLEREADY

before you read it into RM using the "File > TempleReady" command.
RootsMagician

#7 tekingits

tekingits

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:40 PM

Thanks to all suggestions on this topics they were helpful.

#8 toallen

toallen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:59 PM

[QUOTE]Try this one for now:

Does this mean that we could expect something like this in the future?
I did try it and it's helpful! It saved me $20 and I can still use my favorite software! biggrin.gif

#9 toallen

toallen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:10 AM

I have tried FamilySearcher with RM. To me, it is preferable to downloading a gedcom for each change of data. My only compaint is that with RM there is no source added to the data. If you have done lots of updating, adding the source can be cumbersome. However, I used the same Update file with PAF and the source was added. unsure.gif