5 replies to this topic

#1 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

Someone suggested that setting up - using Windows Explorer via a hard-wired PC link - a folder /data/data/com.rootsmagic.android/files to house your .rmgc files on an Android device would allow Android RM to load the file. I tried it; it doesn't work for me. Could someone in the know please tell us EXACTLY what the location should actually be for those who won't use Dropbox?

Don

#2 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

Don, I talked about the procedure in "Dropbox Only? Surely not" discussion o 2/02014:
" It is a simple process to move files from a pc to a tablet using a cable to interconnect the devices (have already done that with my RM files). The question is how utilize the Roots Magic App 'File' selection to find the files if they are now stored on an SD card and not in the tablet device memory".

Moving the files was easy, But I haven't been able to discover how to have the RM App find them yet.

There where two objectives in my using a hard cable approach; 1) No need for internet connection (or 3rd party services) & 2) Placing the files where I wanted them on my tablet (in this case on the SD Card and not using up device memory for storage).

So I also was unable actually open up a transferred file but thought that was because I had placed it on the SD Card where the RM App was not designed to anticipate files yet. Would be pleased if some one at RM would let us know the exact file (folder) location that this App is pointed at while we wait for a process to permit the data file to be placed at a location of our choosing
Ed R
Adopt, Adapt & Improve.

#3 exscentric

exscentric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

I emailed them asking where to put it on the android system and the reply was much less than helpful :-( "The Android app uses dropbox to load the file. In drop box the file file is stored in App > Rootsmagic folder"

I have tried many different locations without it working, they will hopefully see how unusible it is to many of us and make some changes.

I appreciate and understand the ease with which they made it for those that use drop box but hope they adapt to other users.

#4 Roger-Ohio

Roger-Ohio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

See my post under "Dropbox". It shows file & folder naming convention.

Watch the Webinar video
http://www.rootsmagi...iPod-touch.aspx

It was delivered for iDevice but has lots of info that is the same for Android.

#5 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

Also posted in "Dropbox"
Thanks 'Roger-Ohio' for your input.

However, at least for me, having the RM6 data file in a folder named 'RootsMagic' still does no permit the Android App to locate the file since it does find folders or file when they are on a SD memory Card and not in the device primary memory.

When I select "Files > On Device" from the program bar nothing appears. I really want a function option to deliver into all my files on my tablet and let me select which I wish open.

Going from the other direction and selecting the .rmgc data file on the SD Card and attempting to open it results in an "unable to find program to perform this function' error.

(Hoping the tech staff at RootsMagic would chime in on all these issues and say "We recognize the need and are working to issue a 1.02+ update quickly")
Ed R
Adopt, Adapt & Improve.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8701 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Right now you can only use Dropbox to get your database to the app. More people wanted the app now than later and any other method of importing your file to your device would have required a longer development period.

You do not need to install Dropbox on your computer in order to get your RMGC into it and use it on your device. We have the procedure to just work with the online Dropbox service in a Knowledge Base article. The link is below.

http://support.roots...uter-or-device-
Renee
RootsMagic