• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Watts

Jeff Watts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

I have downloaded CrossOver 14 day trail software on to my MacBookPro but when the download is complete it disappears. My goal is to copy my RootsMagic onto a CD then load it into my MacBook Pro. I need help.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8336 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

I don't have a Mac so maybe others can chime in on this. We do have a webpage for Mac users wanting to use RootsMagic at http://www.rootsmagic.com/mac/. If you click on the CrossOver link you will be taken to a page with a video showing how to install everything.

We also have a webinar you can watch.

24. Running RootsMagic on Your Mac

http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

I have downloaded CrossOver 14 day trail software on to my MacBookPro but when the download is complete it disappears. My goal is to copy my RootsMagic onto a CD then load it into my MacBook Pro. I need help.

Jeff,

Did you manage to make any progress by using the webinar?

Taking your question literally, thinking back through my experience of installing Crossover on a Mac, when I just followed the steps shown on the Crossover website for installing RootsMagic. It was very straightforward, I thought, even if some of the terminology is a little odd.

I seem to have downloaded a zip file that I saved in a location of my choosing - Documents/Downloads/Crossover. Assuming you downloaded it to somewhere, try using the Spotlight function (top right in the menubar) to look for crossover, or maybe just zip. (Sorry, not at my Mac so can't access the file name from here.)

The zip file, when expanded, just contains Crossover.app. If you open it from there, I seem to recall that it asks whether you want it to be accessible to all users, and if so, either it moves itself, or you have to move it, to the Applications folder.

On my system, there is a Crossover.app in the Applications folder, and there is also a Crossover folder in the Applications folder, with the latter containing the individual application "bottles" that run under Crossover, RootsMagic being one of these.

The one thing I struggled with was getting RootsMagic to point to where my RootsMagic files were stored. The Windows Explorer like dialog box that Crossover provides to allow you to choose the location of your RootsMagic folders didn't seem to work for me and I resorted to typing in the complete file path. Only later did I discover that the dialog box requires one to build up the path folder by folder (rather than pointing straight to the desired lower level folder).

Don't know if any of this will help - please shout if you are still struggling, but do then give us as much information as you have.

I do think that if you can just get going, you will find it a satisfactory solution. However, please be aware that it is not possible to get RootsMagic-to-Go to work using Crossover (or so I believe).

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8336 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

Your correct RM2Go won't work on a Mac.
Renee
RootsMagic