14 replies to this topic

#1 philipdk99

philipdk99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

hi
i hope that i dont have to download the database everytime i use roots magic apps,
as when i am out my tablet dosnt have net connection, i can only download through
wifi at home.

this is another reason i gave it a 3 out of 10 in my rating as now i have to delete 3
apps just to install dropbox app on my tablet

#2 ldsfriend

ldsfriend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:44 AM

My Android RM cannot (1) create folders Apps and RootMagic in my DropBox, so I was supposed to do it by myself, and cannot (2) recognize the database which is already in my synchronized DropBox folder.

#3 Roger-Ohio

Roger-Ohio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

hi
i hope that i dont have to download the database everytime i use roots magic apps,
as when i am out my tablet dosnt have net connection, i can only download through
wifi at home.

this is another reason i gave it a 3 out of 10 in my rating as now i have to delete 3
apps just to install dropbox app on my tablet

Are you saying that you can not view your RM data unless your tablet is connected to WiFi?

I am using a Nook Color (modified to run full Android). I had no problems installing Dropbox app.
I also have Dropbox on my computer.

In Dropbox I have a folder Apps
In the Apps folder I have a folder RootsMagic
My RM data file is in the RootsMagic folder

I set my file locations in RM program to the Sropbox folder on my desktop so my RM data file is automatically updated whenever I make any changes from my desktop or laptop. This also means that when my tablet connects to WiFi the Dropbox folder is updated to "see" the latest RM data.

#4 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Thanks 'Roger-Ohio' for your input.
However, at least for me, having the RM6 data file in a folder named 'RootsMagic' still does no permit the Android App to locate the file since it does find folders or file when they are on a SD memory Card and not in the device primary memory.
When I select "Files > On Device" from the program bar nothing appears. I really want a function option to delver into all my files on my tablet and let me select which I wish open.
Going from the other direction and selecting the .rmgc data file on the SD Card and attempting to open it results in an "unable to find program to preform this function' error.
(Hoping the tech staff at RootsMagic would chime in on all these issues and say "We recognize the need and are working to issue a 1.02+ update quickly")
Ed R
Adopt, Adapt & Improve.

#5 Roger-Ohio

Roger-Ohio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

EdR
Where did the RM app place the App folder on your tablet?

When I did first install I had just completed the "hack" to allow Android to run on my Nook Color so I needed to "learn Android" at the same time I was trying to "Learn RM app" stuf.
Do you have Dropbox? Once I installed DB on my tablet that was where I placed the RM data files. I found it was easier to create the file structure on the DB folder on my desktop which automatically synced with DB that was being updated on the tablet.

#6 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

Roger, I don't use Dropbox. I moved the files from my pc to the tablet the old fashioned way...a 12" cable and copy & paste.
I apologize if my post was out of place in this subject heading. I was really responding to your post in ".rmgc file(s) location"
Ed R
Adopt, Adapt & Improve.

#7 exscentric

exscentric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

Did not have dropbox, didn't want it but got it - short story, they seem to have hidden everything on the tablet. I searched for my data file and it does not show up. I find nothing for dropbox either though I did not install anything - rootsmagic just connects and downloads the data.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8701 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

Right now you can only use Dropbox to get your database to the app. More people wanted the app now than later and any other method of importing your file to your device would have required a longer development period.

You do not need to install Dropbox on your computer in order to get your RMGC into it and use it on your device. We have the procedure to just work with the online Dropbox service in a Knowledge Base article. The link is below.

http://support.roots...uter-or-device-
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Just where IS the Dropbox folder located please? I have Dropbox installed on my Android device but can't find its folder (via Windows Explorer and wired net connection).
So \Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic is also nowhere to be found.

BTW, am I the only forum contributor who finds typing here REALLY slow? Characters just fail to register and have to be re-typed

Don

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

BTW, am I the only forum contributor who finds typing here REALLY slow? Characters just fail to register and have to be re-typed

I frequently have this problem if I try to use IE with the RM forums. None of the other browsers seem to have this problem with the RM forums. On the other hand, there are other things I do which have nothing to do with RM where IE is the browser that works the best. It's almost impossible to work only with one browser because all of them are so flaky in certain contexts.

Jerry

#11 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Just where IS the Dropbox folder located please? I have Dropbox installed on my Android device but can't find its folder (via Windows Explorer and wired net connection).
So \Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic is also nowhere to be found.

Don

The folder path \Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic is installed on your computer, or online (if using that version of Dropbox). You won't see anything on your Android device.

#12 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

>I frequently have this problem if I try to use IE with the RM forums

Oh great! Thanks again, Jerry. So Firefox?

Don

#13 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

> \Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic is installed on your computer.... You won't see anything on your Android device.

Oh great, once again! I really feel inclined to drop the whole idea of having RM on the Tablet. Or at least wait for a sensible installation procedure to be produced.

Don

#14 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

>I frequently have this problem if I try to use IE with the RM forums

Oh great! Thanks again, Jerry. So Firefox?

Don

For me at least, each of Firefox, Chrome, and Safari work fine with the forums. IE is the only one I have trouble with on the forums. But I'm a sample size of one.

Jerry

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8701 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

If you haven't associated Dropbox to the RM Android App then you won't see the folders created inside it for Dropbox/Apps/RootsMagic from your desktop or online Dropbox website.

When you open the RM Android App tap on File and select Dropbox, then sign in. Dropbox will authorize the RM App and create the needed folder for you to put your RMGC file in off your desktop or Dropbox website.

In the RM App if you tap on File>Help you will see those instructions.
Renee
RootsMagic