Photo

roots magic will not display my family tree, and it is as if the file for it has disappeared into thin air completely.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 allisonlaster

allisonlaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

I have the free Roots Magic family tree. My computer, unfortunately, still has windows vista. Recently, I opened Roots magic, and all I saw besides the startup popup with notifications and upgrade news, was a blank grey screen in the field where my default tree should open up. I have looked through all my roots magic files, and while two other alternate trees are available, it is if my default tree never existed, and I can't find it anywhere. Where did it go? How come it is gone, and how can I get my normal family tree to open in roots magic again?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

Try: File - Open - Search for files and let me select from list.

It will search your computer, C:\ drive by default, for any RootsMagic file.

There is also the option to try: File - Open Recent

Once it is found, you can have RootsMagic open it every time it opens by doing the "Tools - Program options and checking the top box: "Open Databases from last session"
To make that work, you have to close RootsMagic while the file is still loaded. the X in the Extreem upper RIGHT corner or the File - Exit
Alfred

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Once you find your file go to Tools>Program Options>Folders and set your default folder locations. Click on the [...] to open Windows Explorer to locate the folder it should always look inside of.
Renee
RootsMagic