11 replies to this topic

#1 sandydonald

sandydonald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

Hi

There have been so many articles in the IT press about security problems with Dropbox and people getting access to complete strangers data that I am a bit surprised that Dropbox seems to be the only option for data to be shared with an Android device.

The idea of being able to have a copy of data on a tablet or phone is a great one but I really hope that different methods of copying the data file to the mobile device become available. Even a simple email attachment saved to a relevant folder.

Maybe there is a method but it is just not mentioned on the web site. If so, I'd be glad to hear about it.

But I will not be installing Dropbox on any computer of mine.

Best regards.

#2 DennisD

DennisD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

I second the motion. I will not use an outside party to move my data. Please tell us what directory (folder for you young people) to put the file in.

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

http://forums.rootsm...lay-of-rm-data/

Several months ago I posted an item about viewing RootsMagic reports on an Android. This effort was partially successful. Take a look at this link for hints about moving files from a Vista system to a specific brand of Android. Moving report files from Vista to the Android was successful. Not all "touches" on the screen to navigate through the generations were usable.

Moving photographs in this manner also works.

#4 DennisD

DennisD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

Thanks, John.

I know how to move files to the tablet, we need to know what directory the RootsMagic App is looking to find it.

Also, do we need to move the picture folder into the same directory so that pictures will display?

Hopefully, someone knows these answers.

#5 phishboy

phishboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

I would like to add my vote for additional data sources. Why not Goggle Drive? or Microsofts SkyDrive? I am sure there are others out there. At this rate I will have my information spread all over the NET.

A. Haenig

#6 erehwon

erehwon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:16 AM

I don't use dropbox either. I am quite happy using FileExpert's FTP server to move files to and from my device. All we need from the RM app is a proper file open dialog to search the file system.

Looks to me like the app isn't finished yet. The file menu gives an option for "my device" but doesn't bring up the file open search dialog. Either a bug, or the app was rushed out the door with only drop box configured.

I've raised a support call, but I'm still waiting for them to get back to me.

David N

#7 CRH

CRH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:30 AM

How about password protected data files?

#8 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

It is a simple process to move files from a pc to a tablet using a cable to interconnect the devices (have already done that with my RM files). The question is how utilize the Roots Magic App 'File' selection to find the files if they are now stored on an SD card and not in the tablet device memory.
I too do not believe that going through a 3 party system outside my personal control to move private files is a wise approach Especially when the two devices are 12 inches apart. Please provide a way that the RM App can find the files if they are moved from a pc to a tablet.
Thanks for making progress on the Android App.
Ed R
Adopt, Adapt & Improve.

#9 y.n.o.t

y.n.o.t

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:40 AM

You simply need to copy your desktop rootsmagic file to this location /data/data/com.rootsmagic.android/files, you may need your android device to be rooted to do this.

#10 erehwon

erehwon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:51 AM

The answer given to my support call was that RM for android was designed to use drop box only, to make it easy for RM users. Translation - a file open dialog didn't make it into the current release. I've asked that this issue be escalated and fix issued.

Rooting an android device isn't the answer for the wider community of android users.

#11 erehwon

erehwon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:58 AM

Well, my Nexus allowed me to create the directory and copy the files, but RM doesn't see them. I'm guessing that "/" isn't really the root of the directory tree, only the root of the publically available tree.

My android phone didn't even let me create the directory

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8701 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

Right now you can only use Dropbox to get your database to the app. More people wanted the app now than later and any other method of importing your file to your device would have required a longer development period.

You do not need to install Dropbox on your computer in order to get your RMGC into it and use it on your device. We have the procedure to just work with the online Dropbox service in a Knowledge Base article. The link is below.

http://support.roots...uter-or-device-
Renee
RootsMagic