Photo

Ready to finally upgrade 5 > 6...questions (been out of loop a little while)

RM5 RM6

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 texas_nightowl

texas_nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:15 AM

Title says it all mostly! :rolleyes:

I've been mostly out of doing any genealogy work over the last 6-9 months, but over the holidays I did take advantage of the special offer of 6 + book at a good price. So I guess that means I'm ready to upgrade from 5 despite some reservations...and now that I have a bit of time I need to prioritize some research!

Anyway, re: the upgrade from 5 to 6, is there anything special I need to worry about? Any issues people have run into? What are the pros and cons of keeping an install of RM5 and also having RM6 installed? Although, if I'm only going to be doing updates in one of the databases, there's really no reason to do this, right? As long as I keep copies of some of my recent backups? (But, if I have problems is there anyway to get RM5 re-installed if I've uninstalled it?)

For what it is worth, I'm running Win 7 and my RM database file is in the following location:
c:\users\my name\RM5Data

I do have some minor reservations about RM at the moment but despite them RM is still the best program for my use at the moment. RM To Go and the free webinars are tremendous values, and the holiday deal with the "Getting the Most Out of RM6" book was a tremendous value. Unfortunately (for me anyway) it seems like a lot of development time over the last year was all about familysearch...which I could care less about. So I'm also betting my CountyCheck problem isn't fixed (Indiana vs. Indian Territory for $100 anyone?). Source citations (extreme flexibility = extreme complexity & confusion imo) and excessive clickiness of data entry are my other minor pain points.

Finally, I realize this discussion was a long, long time ago...but did anything ever come of the proposal to have a public wiki tracking system showing the proposed enhancements submitted by users and their status/potential implementation. I applaud Renee's interaction on the boards, I really, really do, but the repetitive "noted in our tracking system" really bothers me as it seems like nothing ever really happens with them.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

I cannot think of any reason not to proceed with the upgrade nor any point in preserving RM5. Your issues remain and there is no public tracking system. Welcome back!

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 texas_nightowl

texas_nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

Alrighty then, thanks TomH! During the RM6 install, will it give the option to automatically overwrite the RM5 install? I mean I guess that is usually normal behavior for most programs?

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

Yes you get a choice of whether to keep an earlier installation or remove it when installing.

I have retained earlier versions, but only to check back in order to answer some version specific questions.
Alfred

#5 texas_nightowl

texas_nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

Great, thanks Alfred. Guess I'll be proceeding shortly once I make sure I have a couple extra backups saved just in case!

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Make sure to create a backup of your RootsMagic 5 database. This will prevent any heartache if the computer or power shuts down while converting to the RM6 database. It's also the best recourse if for some reason you wish to go back to RM5. Otherwise you have to create a GEDOM in RM6 to go backwards.

Personally, I would just uninstall RM5 when asked during the RM6 installation. Then just open that RM5 database inside of RM6 to convert to the new file format.

As for a public wiki of the RootsMagic tracking system - that will never happen. We will not do so simply because it's an open invitation for our competitors to steal all the great ideas users give us. Even bugs have value to our competitors, that's because there is usually a great idea inside to make things better.

I'm afraid you will just need to learn to skip over the works "Confirming issue/enhancement request is in our tracking system". I don't want to stop adding that because 1. It confirms to the users that we are listening and aware of the concern or issue. 2. It helps me know where I left off in a thread and what action I took. I don't have a great memory and really hate repeating my efforts.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 texas_nightowl

texas_nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

Thanks Renee...I'll definitely be manually taking a couple more backups and copying them to both my home server and the cloud before proceeding with the upgrade.

I can certainly understand the reasoning you give for not having a public issue tracking system...even though I'm disappointed since at one time it seemed like there was momentum to do it.

And I do also understand why you comment with "in our tracking system" but having seen it so often now (I lurked a lot when considering my actual first purchase of RM5 and have intermittently lurked quite a lot since)...in my head those words translate to..."yep, something else that will never happen." I have reviewed some of the version update notes but in terms of reported bugs, ie. specific problems that have been pointed out here in the forums, the version update notes don't really translate to issues fixed. So in my mind...and I grant you that this thinking/feeling may be only me!...it seems like more lip service than any serious intention to at least resolve reported bugs where features clearly aren't working as they should. I know there are certainly features where they may be working as designed, but in other cases they are not and those are the cases that are so frustrating.

Anyway, I'm truly not trying to be negative here...as I mentioned above, despite my reservations RM is still the best product for me at this time. I understand that in addition to the FS stuff that some people do care about (even if I don't) that a lot of time has gone into MAC and iOS and Android compatibility and online publishing. I'm just ready for those time-suck projects to wind down and for issues to start getting their appropriate attention. Is there any chance that we're turning the corner to that point?

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Bruce has always welcomed suggestions for changes in RootsMagic by users. But, that doesn't obligate him to incorporate any or all of those suggestions.

You could set the board to ignore Renee's posts if you don't like them.

#9 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

When I upgraded from RM5 to RM6 I left RM5 installed. That was because I had a couple co-researchers who did not intend to upgrade at that time. I think it's been a year or more since I opened RM5, and I work on my RM6 database at least 7 days a week !! :D :D

#10 texas_nightowl

texas_nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the input zhanrau!

I did go ahead with the upgrade and I used the option to uninstall RM5...after making sure I had many, many backups!

Everything appears fine so far.

Unfortunately, County Check is once again disabled. As mentioned above, the Indiana vs. Indian Territory problem is not fixed. And I have way too many ancestors in Indiana to deal with the constant check. Sad. I love the concept but it would drive me crazy to leave it on at this point.