• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GJL

GJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

"Getting the Most Out of Roots Magic, Version 6", p 98, it says under the heading "Master Text", "The Master Text tab lets you enter text or comments which apply to the source itself", and it further states under the "Detail Text" heading, "The Detail Text tab lets you enter research notes or comments about the specific citation."
However, to transfer a source from Roots Magic to Family Tree, you have to put the web address for the citation in the Master Text Web Tag, making the source a citation and in contradiction to the purpose of the "Master Text". Please make changes so a true source/citation can be transferred to Family Tree by either: 1) transferring the web address from the "Text Detail" Web Tag if there, and if not, then using the "Master Text" Web Tag; or 2) Transferring the web address from the "Detail Text" Web Tag.
Alternately, Ted Meikle had an idea for transferring true sources to Family Tree in his message to the forum entitled, "Transferring Sources between RootsMagic and Family Tree" on 16 Oct 2013.
It would be a great change for me and those I work with is true sources could be transferred to Family Tree.

Thanks, Greg

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

This is easier said then done. We are dealing with some serious limitation with sources through the FT API that prevent us from doing as requested. Please give FamilySearch some feedback that they need to work with the 3rd Party Affiliates to enable us to transfer more data to the FT sources. Calling FamilySearch is pointless because the missionaries won't understand why RootsMagic can't fix this. Instead send an email to support@familysearch.org and put in that you request that this be forwarded to the FT API developers.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 GJL

GJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

I don't believe that it is so difficult. The AIP doesn't say which data field from RootsMagic is transferred over; it just limits the number of fields that can be transferred. RootsMagic could choose to transfer the URL from the Detailed Text Web Tag field just as easily as the URL for the Master Text Web Tag field. Or you could create a new field that would contain a URL from the Detail Text Web Tag field if there was one or from the Master Text Web Tag field if there was one. This argument of saying the AIP is the limitation is misleading. I spoke to Bruce about this at RootsTech and he said that they flipped a coin to choose which data field (since there are several possibilities) would be transferred. I assert that there are more people who have URLs in the Detail Text field (census, death certificates, etc.) than people with URLs in the Master Source Web Tag (books), so it would benefit more situations if the Detail Text Web Tag were used. Although Bruce said that they are thinking of allowing the user to choose which field would be transferred. His is the best idea, but with all the requests for changes, I was interested in seeing if there is anybody out there who uses Master Sources and wants to be able to transfer them to Family Tree without having to copy and paste selected fields.

#4 Kevin

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

I agree that this is NOT a limitation in the API. It is they way it was implemented (fields mapped) in the RootsMagic. I would also like the URL to be populated from the URL in the Detail Text, when there is no URL in the Master Text. It seems strange to me that if there is no URL in the Master Text but there is a URL in the Detail Text, that RootsMagics does not populate the URL in Family Tree. If there are URLs in both then allow the user to choose.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

Yes, we had to make a decision on what fields could transfer over, due to the limitation of the Family Tree sources through the FT API. We want to send everything but we can't.

The one thing we needed to be is consistent. Yes, you want the Sources Detail Text and associated Webtag to go over to the FT, but consider this, where do they go when they come back? We can only import sources as a free form footnote and not in templates with citations areas. That is why they all come over as Master Sources and are not being reused like you typically do with citations. This is messy and confusing and one of the reason why we didn't export from one section and import back to RM in another section.

Now that we have the ability to transfer sources back and forth we can look at future development in allowing users choices on where data goes. Just be aware its making something already complex even more so. RootsMagic's goal is to be intuitive and easy to use so we have hard design problems to overcome before you see these options available.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6173 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

Without changing the API, RootsMagic might be modified to do an on-the-fly conversion of sources on transfer TO FSFT that would be more complete than at present. What comes back from FSFT is out of RM's control but is of the form of an "ultimately split" source (e.g., each cited page of a book is a unique Master Source). There has been considerable discussion under the topic Sources - Adventures in Extreme Splitting pioneered by Jerry Bryan and reprised and taken to its logical extreme by me at http://sqlitetoolsfo...treme Splitting . There you will find SQLite scripts with which you can convert your sources to "ultimately split" for more complete upload to FSFT. You choose whether this done on a temporary copy of your database or irreversibly on your main.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.