55 replies to this topic

#41 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

That's it, John. Download CutePDF Writer from http://www.cutepdf.com/ or some other PDF virtual printer. These are highly rated by CNet editors: Soda PDF 6, PrimoPDF, PDFill Free PDF and Image Writer. There are many.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#42 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

You may already have a printer of some sort in Devices and Printers - like the Microsoft XPS document writer (probably on all Windows machines). If you have Quicken, you have a PDF writer. Just make one of those printers the default. I have tried every setting on my Epson printer that I can think of and can't replicate the problem. If other people have the problem, it is unlikely they all at the same time had a change in printer setup - unless a Windows update triggered something.

Virginia

#43 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

Virginia and Tom,

I installed the CutePDF Writer and made it my default printer. Rebooted the computer, and opened the RootsMagic program. I then opened the "pedigree chart" report; it had the same problem: the chart was reduced in size (just as I had posted before).

Well, we finally have the answer: the problem is not the Epson printer.

So, I will live with the RootsMagic program as it is on my computer; it is still a great genealogical program.

Thanks to all who took the time to submit inputs .

Regards,

John

#44 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

If I imported the RootsMagic data to Legacy Family Tree software (not purchased, yet), do you think I would then see the same problem with the Legacy software (images reduced in size)? Is it likely that whatever affected the Rootsmagic software will affect the Legacy software?

The main reason for trying Legacy is that I started an new file for another family member using RootsMagic, and they are not happy with the reduced pedigree charts. I have to agree with them.

Thanks for any input.

John

#45 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

Does Legacy have a trial version you can try? I accidentally reproduced your pedigree problem when the paper setting on my Epson was left at 4x6. When I went to change it back to letter size, I noticed an option for a User defined size. If for some reason your default letter-size paper setting is corrupt, and if you have the option for a user defined size, you might try 8.5x11 to see if that works.

Virginia

#46 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

Virginia,

I used the "user defined size" and specified the 8.5 X 11 size--- no luck.

I loaded the Legacy trial version and imported a RootsMagic file with the reduced pedigree charts and photos. Guess what, the Legacy pedigree chart displayed full size. I printed the pedigree chart; it was the right size.

At this point, I amnot sure what directions I am going to take:

1. Import all my RootsMagic files to Legacy. Looking at the Legacy display, I envision a "big learning curve." I have been working with RootsMagic about seven years.

2. Live with RootsMagic as it is now, maybe.

3.Take a the drastic step and have everthing removed from the hard drive and reinstalled. What bother me about this, am I going to run into this problem later on when I add other programs and/or files. I would have hire the person who setup the system before; the RootsMagic program was working fine after he finished the setup of the new computer. This does not sound like a good option.

4. I have an old laptop that has many of the old RootsMagic files and there is no problem with any these files. Maybe, the answer to get a new laptop and install the RootsMagic program and use this laptop for old and/or new RootsMagic files. Therefore, I would not longer use the desktop for any RootsMagic work.

John

#47 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

We finally have someone with this issue that will be bringing their laptop to us for testing in May. At that time the RootsMagician can run tests on the laptop to find out what setting is causing this issue. Hopefully by then we will have a solution.

In the mean time if you have this issue and need to run pedigree charts, and another computer and printer is not available, we can help you generate your charts.

You would need to open a support ticket, send us your backup and tell us what start person and settings to use. We will generate the charts as a PDF for you to print later on your own computer.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new
Renee
RootsMagic

#48 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

I have the same problem with a web based report on a non genealogy subject. Starting with a weekly report on Aug 25, 2013, all reports are compacted to about the top left quarter of the page. Still readable and it saves ink so I have never investigated the source. Other web based reports are OK.

#49 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Renee,

Thanks for your offer; however, I can use my friend's computer to print any pedigree charts I need.

Before I do anything, I will wait until May. I hope the RootsMagician can resolve this issue. If he cannot, I have decided that I will buy a new laptop (as I noted before) and use it for all my RootsMagic work. This is a good excuse to buy a new laptop.

Appreciate all the inputs.

John

#50 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

We've seen people with two different computers in their home connected to the same printer and both will print out incorrectly. So its possible getting a new laptop might not solve your problem. I would be careful hooking that new laptop up to that same printer. Maybe just install a PDF printer on the new laptop and then send the file to the other computer for printing. Once we figure out what the settings are that are messing things up, then you would be safe to connect to the old printer.
Renee
RootsMagic

#51 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

Renee,

Thanks for the input. You have a point. However, If I had a problem printing from the old printer, which is only about one and half months young, I would just purchase another printer, another brand, just for the laptop (printers are cheap, however, the ink is expensive!).

Again, I am not going to do anything until May, which at that time RootsMagic (I hope) may have resolved this issue.

John

#52 fredandrana

fredandrana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

I may actually have a little useful input on this....at least, I hope so!

I also just switched form XP to Windows 7...and also from 32-bit or whatever it is called to 64-bit. I had a horrid, wretched time running RootsMagic...the windows would not disply right. Either they were too big, or too small, or i had to scroll way over...the inside box with the list of people would not fit properly in the outer container. At first, I thought it was RootsMagic, so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that did not help. I am running a custom build...from WalMart (keep all comments to yourselves...I knew what I was building lol) and I had another issue with the computer not coming out of sleep mode. So....I was trying to fix multiple problems, and the not coming out of sleep mode was more important. After checking all the drivers for updates, I went to the website for my monitor and reinstalled that. It instantly resolved all my RootsMagic problems.
Reinstalling the driver that Windows found for my monitor when I connected it did absolutely nothing. I had to go to the website, download the driver from there, and reinstall that way. Before I did that, the drive said it was current, up-to-date...no problems. And all my pretty colors showed right, and everything else worked fine...RootsMagic was the only program that had problems displaying correctly.

So....my advice...go to the Epson website, download the driver for your printer, and install that.

And just in case anyone else runs into the whole sleep-mode issue....when my computer would wake, it would pop up my wallpaper, but not my desktop icons. They were all way over on the far left. After a month or so of frustration, I finally found out my computer had somehow installed my monitor twice, and my desktop was showing on the monitor I did not really have. All fixed now...deleted the second monitor, and no problems since then.

#53 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

The individual that was bringing their laptop to NGS for the RootsMagician to look at the Pedigree Chart printing issue no longer has this problem.  We are not sure if a Windows update, print driver update, or something else happened to make it fix itself.  They report that they did not change any of their settings. If anyone has this issue can you check if after installing all computer updates available, if this resolves your issue.

Renee
RootsMagic

#54 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

The RootsMagician has been troubleshooting the problem with "tiny" Pedigree Charts.  What he has found is some users have set their magnification to something other than 100% in their Windows' Control Panel, display options. 

The reason people change to that magnification is because everything is too small on their screen (too high a resolution).

There is an option for Windows to magnify everything, and it is usually set to 100%. If set to 300% for example, it will enlarge everything (the program, the reports, etc), but for some reason *doesn't* enlarge the pedigree chart graphic in the report.

You can fix it by setting the magnification back to 100%, and if that causes everything on the screen to be too small, then lower the screen resolution in Windows to get it back to the size you want.

Once you fix the screen resolution, then the report should print out fine.

Renee
RootsMagic

#55 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:25 AM

Renee,

Yes, that is the solution for this problem. I had my magnification setting at " larger -- 150%" and changed the setting to "smaller --100% (default)." The pedigree charts and the photos are now the correct size. By the way, I am using operating system 7.

Renee, thank you and Bruce, the RootsMagician, for your efforts and perserverance to resolve this problem.

Regards,

John

#56 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

Great to hear!  Thanks for reporting back to us.

Renee
RootsMagic